Home U.S. Coin Forum

Last Weeks Cherry Pick....posted this week.... :)

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2021 11:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well last weeks find showed up today. An 1869 ,narrow date Shield nickel. FS-05-1869-301 [005]
Hopefully everyone will have a specimen that they picked to share. I have cherry picked a lot of Shield Nickels in my days....never before an 1869 Narrow date, tall date, as some call it.
Now a days refered to as the normal date the 1869 shield nickel for the most part has fat shorter digits.
As the digits of other shield nickels are the same size digits.
All known normal date varieties have the reverse of 1867 hub IIa the 1868 nlrmal dates varieties will have 3 digit Fivaz/ Stanton number ,all shorter dates have a four digit FS number.
Not only can you determine the narrow date by the thinner looking digits, but all have a dke crack running tnrough the date. Just another PuP to go on.... and what's the pay off? Well as an example a 1869 shield nickel in xf. Is like a $45/60 coin, the narrow date pays a premium of $175/$ 190 in the same fx. Condition!
So keep those peepers open.... thats a nice premium over book ,and a neat variety for find....and I've been looking for 1 over 25 years!

Did you find a good pick? Show us.....

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm happy for you that you were able to find such a nice example with the even gun-metal gray look. :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

That is a noticeable date imo, very cool looking, nice cherry

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 3:56PM

@trueblood said:
    That is a noticeable date imo, very cool looking, nice cherry

Yeah just a little bit lol...thanks. lol

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

No cherry picks in a while...a long while. Once in a while I have found some mint sets at gun shows in the area... got an AH Kennedy in a set that way. But that was three or four years ago. No shows, no shops... no cherries. Cheers, RickO

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have listed in my computer an 1869 RPD, I guess I'll have to pull it out to see which one it is.

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:
    I have listed in my computer an 1869 RPD, I guess I'll have to pull it out to see which one it is.

@Treashunt said:

Frank post it and Ill have a look.

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

:)

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

Frank as long as ive known you....thats always been the case! I bet you got stuff that you don't know you have...lol.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and congrats

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

Frank as long as ive known you....thats always been the case! I bet you got stuff that you don't know you have...lol.

yup, and some day I'll get organized.

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

Oh no Frank if you did that your wouldn't no longer be Frank! & and you wouldn't know where anything is....!
    Organized confusion is where you need to be.....with out it you be lost.
    Stay well my friend.

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

Oh no Frank if you did that your wouldn't no longer be Frank! & and you wouldn't know where anything is....!
    Stay well my friend.

I can't disagree.

I'll get organized, some day.. or not. :)

Frank

BHNC #203

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

Stay well my friend.

I can't disagree.

Frank it isn't about the destination..Its about the trip! Enjoy the ride...

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Treashunt said:

@Treashunt said:

now to find it.

Stay well my friend.

I can't disagree.

Frank it isn't about the destination..Its about the trip! Enjoy the ride...

Thanks, will do.

Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file