Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Two fold decrease in Gem 10's in 2020 vs other ultra modern years

I know this isn't an exact science but if you look at the POP reports for ultra modern Upper Deck Hockey 2017-2019 and then compare that to 2020 there's a definite two fold decrease in Gem 10's handed out by PSA. 2017-2019 = 60%-70% of the total POP in Gem 10 holders, 2020 is around 30%.

Even going back to older UD hockey products to the mid 2000's the 60-70% Gem 10 ratio remained the same, 2020 is an outlier so far.

Since 2020 grades have occurred during the recent massive influx of changes at PSA I am going to assume this is another piece of evidence pointing towards a marked change in grading standards. It's also giving me some data to use to greatly temper my expectations for all my outstanding submissions.

Sorry that this has been discussed at nauseum, but I just wanted to shed some light on the specific stats in this niche market sector.

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:
    I know this isn't an exact science but if you look at the POP reports for ultra modern Upper Deck Hockey 2017-2019 and then compare that to 2020 there's a definite two fold decrease in Gem 10's handed out by PSA. 2017-2019 = 60%-70% of the total POP in Gem 10 holders, 2020 is around 30%.

Even going back to older UD hockey products to the mid 2000's the 60-70% Gem 10 ratio remained the same, 2020 is an outlier so far.

Since 2020 grades have occurred during the recent massive influx of changes at PSA I am going to assume this is another piece of evidence pointing towards a marked change in grading standards. It's also giving me some data to use to greatly temper my expectations for all my outstanding submissions.

Sorry that this has been discussed at nauseum, but I just wanted to shed some light on the specific stats in this niche market sector.

Are you factoring in the large number of people that are new to submission and think because they pulled a card from a pack and carefully placed it in a card saver that it’s an automatic 10?

There are many people who don’t understand that that’s not the case who are currently submitting cards and thinking - wrongly - that they’ve been screwed over. That may also alter it somewhat.

Not everyone knows how to grade a card despite everyone knowing how to grade a card. 😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Are you factoring in the large number of people that are new to submission and think because they pulled a card from a pack and carefully placed it in a card saver that it’s an automatic 10?

There are many people who don’t understand that that’s not the case who are currently submitting cards and thinking - wrongly - that they’ve been screwed over. That may also alter it somewhat.

Not everyone knows how to grade a card despite everyone knowing how to grade a card. 😉

My optimistic brain wants this to be true, the surge in popularity of the hobby attracting all sorts of newb submitters and we are seeing the effects of that. But I just get the feeling by having followed posts on this forum that seasoned submitters are noticing a decline in the ratio of 10's to 9/8's with their recent pops.

I think in a few months when a large percentage of value submissions by long time submitters are returned we'll see which theory is more correct.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2021 8:46PM

2020/21 S1 had horrific QA problems due to its rushed, albeit late, release due to COVID. There are several people on Hobby Insider with horror stories of pulling Laffy YG's with 4 rounded corners straight from packs. As I understand, UD tried to issue replacements but overall, there were major issues with the release.

I also agree with 1951WP on the new graders. I know I got burned with my first two subs with three 17/18 YG that came back 8 or 8.5 straight from the pack. I fell right into that trap.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure those rounded corners were a new form of cut that UD was implementing (testing?), I've seen examples of mint cards with ultra small 1mm radius rounded corners, like a "micro Pokemon style" for lack of a better word. Why some base and YG's had this and others didn't is a mystery to me, could also be a reason for the lower number of gems we see in that issue.

@rmh111985 said:
    2020/21 S1 had horrific QA problems due to its rushed, albeit late, release due to COVID. There are several people on Hobby Insider with horror stories of pulling Laffy YG's with 4 rounded corners straight from packs. As I understand, UD tried to issue replacements but overall, there were major issues with the release.

I also agree with 1951WP on the new graders. I know I got burned with my first two subs with three 17/18 YG that came back 8 or 8.5 straight from the pack. I fell right into that trap.

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I > @Jayman1982 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

My optimistic brain wants this to be true, the surge in popularity of the hobby attracting all sorts of newb submitters and we are seeing the effects of that. But I just get the feeling by having followed posts on this forum that seasoned submitters are noticing a decline in the ratio of 10's to 9/8's with their recent pops.

I think in a few months when a large percentage of value submissions by long time submitters are returned we'll see which theory is more correct.

Too many seasoned submitters have been receiving much lower grades than anticipated/expected for it to be simply a reflection of new submitters. I believe it is absolutely unethical for PSA to have changed grading standards without any hint of notice to its customers. Also, they are indirectly devaluing cards holdered in "old" flips. I will not be submitting anything in the near future with PSA especially if they once again raise prices. It is a business and I understand that, but I am a customer and I can spend my money where I choose. I have submitted thousands of cards to PSA and my customer experience recently has been poor at best.