Home U.S. Coin Forum

CAC Raising Fees

DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

For anybody who hasn't seen it yet.

"Beginning June 1, 2021, a modest price increase will go into effect. Collector members will continue to only pay for coins that sticker. The new tier pricing per coin will be as follows:

Submission Tier                                  Insured Value
                    Regular - $16.00                                 Up to $10,000
                    High Value - $35.00                            Over $10,000
                    Rarities - $75.00                                 Over $25,000
                    Resticker - $5.00                                Original Cert Number Only
                    Regular Walk Through - $20.00          Up to $10,000
                    High Value Walk Through - $40.00     Over $10,000
                    Rarities Walk Through - $85.00          Over $25,000

As a reminder, coins valued over $25,000 must be submitted under the “Rarities” tier. In addition, the mandatory “handling fee” will now be $6.00 per submission."

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 756 ✭✭✭✭✭

More than a fair value, especially considering collectors are refunded the fee if they do not sticker.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never used CAC. Help me understand something. I see by the listing that it says $16 for regular and $20 for regular walkthrough. Does this mean it is $36 for a single, say, $500 coin plus $6 handling or are the regular and regular walkthrough different. Thanks.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 1:51PM

@jesbroken said:
    Never used CAC. Help me understand something. I see by the listing that it says $16 for regular and $20 for regular walkthrough. Does this mean it is $36 for a single, say, $500 coin plus $6 handling or are the regular and regular walkthrough different. Thanks.
    Jim

Walkthrough is same day turnaround speed basically.

If you submit 20 coins valued at $500 each and they all sticker, via regular tier, you'll pay $6 handling + ($16*20), plus shipping charges.

If you do walkthrough and 19 sticker, $6+ ($20*19).

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons
    Thanks, DD

To me that's seems to be very fair pricing for same day service or even 2 day service.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    @DelawareDoons
    Thanks, DD

To me that's seems to be very fair pricing for same day service or even 2 day service.
    Jim

From my understanding, the Walk Through service (currently suspended due to Covid) means that for $20 a stickered coin, you can make an appointment and walk in to CAC with your coins and have them walk them through the grading process. Thought it would be fun to do that some day, but that would be the submission where none of my coins passed....

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never used 'em. Never will.

Just had to. Maybe I should have prefaced it with a "I don't give a damn."

Well, I do and I did.

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the same package in the mail last week. I thought it was very reasonable.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have never tried CAC but $16 or $20 is a bargain IMHO

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t got my welcome kit yet but it’s a small price increase. I don’t have a lot of potential volume to send them anyway. I look at it as a test of whether I’m learning what looks good on my gold now. I used to be more critical of CAC in the past but I’m over it. I’m starting to see where it is helpful as I’ve transitioned to a mostly gold collection.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine - Hilarious!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 5:02AM

My only comment is squeeze that turnip for the insecure that have no idea what they are buying and don't trust the grading services! Maybe a few of us should start a service to demean some of the crap out there that has a bean! Yes there are some out there. Would someone please add the vomit emoticon to my post?

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm waiting for the sticker that reassures the first sticker that reassured the original slab grade. Why pay twice to grade my coin when I can pay 3 times? Crapflation. Thanks!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@amwldcoin said:
    My only comment is squeeze that turnip for the the insecure that have no idea what they are buying and don't trust the grading services! Maybe a few of us should start a service to demean some of the crap out there that has a bean! Yes there are some out there. Would someone please add the vomit emoticon to my post?

I find it rather rude that you LOL'ed at my commentary on CAC and their fees being well worth it, so I will tell you this.

Did you know I bought a half from your eBay store, CAC'ed it, and flipped it for a ~$200 profit? Roughly 25% in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the easy money.

Well! Out the coin!

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:
    My only comment is squeeze that turnip for the the insecure that have no idea what they are buying and don't trust the grading services! Maybe a few of us should start a service to demean some of the crap out there that has a bean! Yes there are some out there. Would someone please add the vomit emoticon to my post?

I find it rather rude that you LOL'ed at my commentary on CAC and their fees being well worth it, so I will tell you this.

Did you know I bought a half from your eBay store, CAC'ed it, and flipped it for a ~$200 profit? Roughly 25% in 3 weeks.

@amwldcoin said:
    Well! Out the coin!

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:

No thanks. I prefer to keep people in the dark as to my actual name, lest I be blocked from buying.

I won't LOL you since it bugs you. My price would have been the same with or without the magical football!

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Well! Out the coin!

@DelawareDoons said:

@amwldcoin said:

No thanks. I prefer to keep people in the dark as to my actual name, lest I be blocked from buying.

I disagree! Brainwash vibes beginning...you only like coins that look like I like! :D

@spacehayduke said:
    All I can say is 27 submissions to CAC totaling over 200 coins is the best education I ever got as a numismatist, period. Worth every penny in education. I remember what one of the more recognized numismatists on these boards noted, that many of those who raise their voice against CAC are the ones that need them the most...... Just sayin'.

Best, SH

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

regular walk through was $16 now $20 on stickered coins? Sounds like a 25% increase to me? Not exactly modest.

However, Given that I can't grade a lick CGC performs two services for one price.
    A)they are grading my coins within the grade assigned. Higher end or not?
    b)they give a bit of a boost to the price with a sticker.
    In general, still a bargain.

Considering that I only pay for coins that sticker and considering I am a rather novice buyer I am confident that I can keep my payments to CAC at a minimum.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they'll come up with the "Close, but no cigar!" sticker.........that way, everybody gets a sticker. :D

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Some are smarter and just buy the slab with a bean.

To me, grading is like golf.

In many ways you are competing against yourself.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since only charged if stickered, this may be the greatest value in coins> @yspsales said:

And like golf...if you are playing with a 28 handicap and Jack Nicklaus and they both give you advice ---do you listen to both equally or possibly more to Jack? In case there is any confusion, JA is Jack in this example.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC has long since established itself as a solid authority on coins. The business model is clear and recognition (the sticker) commands a premium when selling. Price increases occur for different reasons, however, for established businesses, they are inevitable. Cheers, RickO

edited May 7, 2021 5:42AM

@Gazes said:
    Since only charged if stickered, this may be the greatest value in coins> @yspsales said:

And like golf...if you are playing with a 28 handicap and Jack Nicklaus and they both give you advice ---do you listen to both equally or possibly more to Jack? In case there is any confusion, JA is Jack in this example.

Vast majority of us are better off buying the coin we like, in the holder we prefer, and with the preferred bean (or not)

I think they have a great service.

They have perfected the Redfield, GSA, and other "promotional" models and provide a worthy service.

Doesn't mean you can't play at Augusta.

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

@Gazes said:

Vast majority of us are better off buying the coin we like, in the holder we prefer, and with the preferred bean (or not)

I think they have a great service.

They have perfected the Redfield, GSA, and other "promotional" models and provide a worthy service.

Doesn't mean you can't play at Augusta.

Oh, trust me ----I cant play at Augusta. If you can get me on there, there may be a free CAC coin for you 😄

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

If only collectors would just learn how to grade ... conservatively ...

All glory is fleeting.
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:

For many people, it’s fairly easy to grade “conservatively”. But, while that will save them from some mistakes, it will also cause them to miss out on a lot of fairly priced, accurately graded coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

For many people, it’s fairly easy to grade “conservatively”. But, while that will save them from some mistakes, it will also cause them to miss out on a lot of fairly priced, accurately graded coins.

All you have to do is look at the various "guess the grade" threads on this forum and you will quickly realize just how many collectors can't grade. I have been involved in the hobby for nearly 60 years and recall observing how collectors could not grade way back in the early 1960's as well. The collector who knows how to grade has a big advantage in the market.

All glory is fleeting.
    edited May 7, 2021 7:42AM

@291fifth said:

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

All you have to do is look at the various "guess the grade" threads on this forum and you will quickly realize just how many collectors can't grade. I have been involved in the hobby for nearly 60 years and recall observing how collectors could not grade way back in the early 1960's as well. The collector who knows how to grade has a big advantage in the market.

I agree. But to me, the “conservatively” part of your previous post isn’t the same thing as learning to grade accurately. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@braddick said:
    A couple of quick thoughts:
    First, the GTG threads here- requiring participants to grade based on photos- are not measuring how well members here grade overall. That's not fair.
    Second, "learn to grade conservatively" is also a misnomer as learning to grade accurately is the distinction we should all be striving for.

But when you live in the world of "opinions" just what is "accurate".

Anyone looking at the guess the grade threads will quickly realize that many collectors can't grade with most being much to liberal. This is how it has always been. I have seen no change in 60 years.

All glory is fleeting.

@braddick said:
    A couple of quick thoughts:
    First, the GTG threads here- requiring participants to grade based on photos- are not measuring how well members here grade overall. That's not fair.
    Second, "learn to grade conservatively" is also a misnomer as learning to grade accurately is the distinction we should all be striving for.

Pat, I think it depends on the type of coin and the particular images.

For example, I’ve long maintained that it’s nearly impossible to provide meaningful grade guesses for Proof coins, based upon images. Because hairlines (which are rarely fully apparent in pictures) are usually largely responsible for the assigned grade. And then there are many images which, for various reasons, don’t provide an accurate representation of the appearance and/or quality of the coin.

On the other hand, some coins and images lend themselves to meaningful grade guesses/estimates. And clearly, in those cases, some “guessers” tend to be much better (or worse) than others.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@koynekwest said:
    Never used 'em. Never will.

I’ve used them. Will continue.

The price increases are nominal to the marketability and value they add to my collection.

• panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    All I can say is 27 submissions to CAC totaling over 200 coins is the best education I ever got as a numismatist, period. Worth every penny in education. I remember what one of the more recognized numismatists on these boards noted, that many of those who raise their voice against CAC are the ones that need them the most...... Just sayin'.

Best, SH

This has been my exact experience. Over the years, I am able to pass on buying more and more coins from images, and return coins viewed in hand when I see issues that CAC taught me how to spot. CAC fees are one of the best ROI's around.

• jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 10:15AM

@MFeld said:

@291fifth said:

I think that describes me to a tee. I've been too conservative in the past and got burned....fairly recently in fact. Ugh!

The key is to be accurate not necessarily conservative.

jom

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2021 10:16AM

This thread won't make anyone say "well that increase will stop me cold from using CAC!" You will either use them or not.

Reedip...the water's getting warmer the frog thought! :D

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    This thread won't make anyone say "well that increase will stop me cold from using CAC!" You will either use them or not.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

MORE EVIDENCE OF INFLATION! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
This discussion has been closed.