Home PSA Set Registry Forum

IPad and Set Registry Photo Problems

PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 18, 2020 3:28AM in PSA Set Registry Forum

One of the things I enjoy most about the set registry is browsing through the sets that have scans/photos included. I realize most set registry participants don’t include photos but often the ones who do have some of the most impressive sets.

For awhile now I have been experiencing technical difficulties with registry photos. I am using exclusively IOS devices to view them, primarily a 6th Generation IPad. When swiping through the photos in a set, periodically an image will take a few seconds to load, and then display in a truncated form (see screenshot).

This problem seems to have gotten worse with the latest IPadOS release. Sometimes the problem seems better, sometimes it seems worse, without much rhyme or reason. I have contacted the set registry technical team. Not sure what to do about it but it’s ruining my enjoyment of the registry.

Comments

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same here. I don’t use my iPad for that as much anymore because of it.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

Do you experience this problem less when using an iPhone or Android phone? Or do you use a computer for it?

@PaulMaul said:

@rexvos said:

Do you experience this problem less when using an iPhone or Android phone? Or do you use a computer for it?

It works fine on the IPhone or via the app

edited May 18, 2020 11:59AM

@rexvos said:

@PaulMaul said:

@rexvos said:

Can you look at other people’s sets within the app?

Also, I don’t see any way to swipe through the cards in my own sets, only to look at one image at a time. And the images are blown up so far the resolution appears poor. I guess nothing is well suited for IPad.

@PaulMaul said:

@rexvos said:

@PaulMaul said:

@rexvos said:

Also, I don’t see any way to swipe through the cards in my own sets, only to look at one image at a time. And the images are blown up so far the resolution appears poor. I guess nothing is well suited for iPad

All of this is correct. To do that laptop is best route.

@rexvos said:

@PaulMaul said:

@rexvos said:

@PaulMaul said:

@rexvos said:

Also, I don’t see any way to swipe through the cards in my own sets, only to look at one image at a time. And the images are blown up so far the resolution appears poor. I guess nothing is well suited for iPad

All of this is correct. To do that laptop is best route.

It’s a shame because I’m almost never on a laptop, and my iPhone 7 is really too small for an enjoyable experience browsing the registry. IPad is perfectly suited with the minor issue that it doesn’t work.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Us geezers who use desktop computers dont have these issues. :)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

I am growing increasingly frustrated with the problems I have viewing PSA set registry pages that include photos using mobile devices.

The truncation issue I described above is one ongoing problem. The set registry IT folks looked into it and weren’t able to find a solution. But it’s more than that. The pages themselves now do not load properly. When I view my set pages on an IPad, most of the information does not display properly. This is what one of my pages looks like when I visit it on my iPad. No grades, populations, etc. are visible. I’m surprised this is such a problem in an era when mobile devices are used so frequently.

• hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is how mine looks on my Samsung

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's

Getting ready to delete all photos from my registry sets. I can’t view them anyway, and they just prevent the set information from being properly displayed. It’s a shame that these problems can’t be resolved as they are sapping all my enjoyment from using the registry.

@twhitmeyer

• @PaulMaul I was testing various iPads and realized you indicated a 6th gen and managed to replicate this last issue, a very odd bug in the code library, but I hopefully have a fix and it will go with the next deployment.

T. Whitmeyer
    Front-end Developer, Collectors Universe

@twhitmeyer said:
    @PaulMaul I was testing various iPads and realized you indicated a 6th gen and managed to replicate this last issue, a very odd bug in the code library, but I hopefully have a fix and it will go with the next deployment.

Fantastic news! I really do appreciate your continuing to look into it and look forward to being able to enjoy the registry like I used to going forward.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Awesome!!! Hopefully the iPad bug where the image doesn't come up when you click on a card in a digital album gets fixed in this update as well (not to muddy the waters). :*

@twhitmeyer said:
    @PaulMaul I was testing various iPads and realized you indicated a 6th gen and managed to replicate this last issue, a very odd bug in the code library, but I hopefully have a fix and it will go with the next deployment.

Any idea when the next deployment will occur?

• twhitmeyertwhitmeyer Posts: 123 admin

@PaulMaul I asked the team about it and there is a deployment in QA so we're kinda waiting for that to go. My fault for not attempting a quick hotfix outside of the normal code flow. I'll update when it goes.

T. Whitmeyer

@twhitmeyer said:
    @PaulMaul I asked the team about it and there is a deployment in QA so we're kinda waiting for that to go. My fault for not attempting a quick hotfix outside of the normal code flow. I'll update when it goes.

Don’t understand all of that tech lingo, but thanks! 😁👍🏻

I understood the lingo, and I appreciate the update as well. Thanks! ;)

@bobsbbcards said:
    I understood the lingo, and I appreciate the update as well. Thanks! ;)

Bob, can you provide a translation? 🙂

@twhitmeyer said:

I asked my peeps about it, and there's a group of bros in quality assurance already slated to do just that....when they aren't doing other sh#$. I take the blame, deservedly or otherwise, for not bitching at them until they fix this one issue and leave the other stuff that you gentlemen don't give a (see above) about for later.

Stay tuned.

@bobsbbcards @PaulMaul I am still having issues with the table where only image column shows, but the popup / zoom image should be fixed now. Just a bug with CSS rendering on iOS only, but let me know if the large image viewer is fixed.

T. Whitmeyer

@twhitmeyer said:
    @bobsbbcards @PaulMaul I am still having issues with the table where only image column shows, but the popup / zoom image should be fixed now. Just a bug with CSS rendering on iOS only, but let me know if the large image viewer is fixed.

The pop up photos seem to be working perfectly now, no more truncation! 🎉 Thanks so much. I hope you have equal success with the table rendering problem. 🤞

Okay, @PaulMaul - I am forcing more columns to always be visible for the set table now and I hope this "fixes" the iPad bug of only the image column showing up. Unsure if you can just refresh or if you'll need to clear cache, but let me know if you are still having problems or if anything new arises. Thank you!

T. Whitmeyer

@twhitmeyer said:
    Okay, @PaulMaul - I am forcing more columns to always be visible for the set table now and I hope this "fixes" the iPad bug of only the image column showing up. Unsure if you can just refresh or if you'll need to clear cache, but let me know if you are still having problems or if anything new arises. Thank you!

Thanks. Honestly, it still doesn’t seem to be working right for me. It wasn’t always that only the image column was showing, but rather that all the population info was not showing, often in different ways depending on the page and randomly. As of now, a couple of columns are showing, but still not the population data. I did clear all the website data before checking. An example is shown below. Again, the strange part is that in sets with multiple pages, everything is fixed once I advance the page. So the issue is only for sets with a single page.

edited May 12, 2021 4:22PM

....whereas it should look like this (from a multiple page set)....The problem seems to be that for whatever reason the columns in the table are too “spread out” on the pages that aren’t working right.

@twhitmeyer

If you compare the proper version of this page to the one that originally loads, it seems like the proper one limits the column width and brings the text to the next line if necessary. The improper display never brings the text to a new line, which makes the columns too wide.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

If you click the down arrow to the left of the X, you'll be able to see the entire image. Unfortunately, you can't scroll in that scenario. As a side note, I have been having a lot of trouble getting my Set Registry inventory to load on my iPad lately - as in, it doesn't.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

@shagrotn77 the zoom image not loading fully is fixed, you may need to close the browser or clear the cache if you are still experiencing the original issue. @PaulMaul I don't know why only iPad has this issue with the code library for tables, but my fix was forcing the other two columns, which I did, while trying to figure out why it doesn't show many the first load - I am working on it...

T. Whitmeyer

@PaulMaul when you are able, refresh on ipad and let me know if first load it pulling columns correctly now.

T. Whitmeyer

edited May 20, 2021 6:07PM

@twhitmeyer

I tried it on five or six sets and from what I can tell it is working flawlessly! I really appreciate the effort you put into fixing these issues. You are a genius!

@PaulMaul the fix was dumb to the point of now I'm really mad at iPad - rendering in various devices and browsers is frustrating and dependent on so many variables. Thank you for helping to test and narrow down the issue! Enjoy your bug forum badge, for whatever that's worth!

T. Whitmeyer