Just for fun ---- post a 'Half Dime'

Comments

• Options
    HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Clint for your assistance.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is less valuable because the Arrows fell off. ;)

• Options

@rhedden said:

I know I got it cheap because of that...135,000 minted the guy was itching to take my money.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2021 12:35AM

@HalfDimeDude said:

@rhedden said:

I know I got it cheap because of that...135,000 minted the guy was itching to take my money.

135k is about 1% of the 13.37m 1853 total mintage.
    Pretty much impossible to cherrypick since it's been in the Red Book and folders since day 1.
    I remember when I got my 1853 no arrows. I wanted to cherrypick one, but eventually accepted the reality....

Both Breen and @MrHalfDime suggested that identifying die varieties on the 1853 was futile,
    due to the large mintage and large number of dies.
    But we have made some progress on it.
    There are 2 different date gang punches. (Most years only have 1).
    Your 1853 V-1 no arrows has the "blunt 5". The other is "pointed 5".
    Most of the obverses with pointed 5 have the date and arrows on the hub, so there is no variation in date position.
    But a few have the date hand punched into the die.
    All the obverses with blunt 5 seem to have the date and arrows hand punched,
    so they have varying date and arrow positions which can be identified with some work. :smile:

I remember managing to get a good deal on my 1853-O no arrows on ebay, many years ago.
    This coin is notorious for having a weak date, so it appears to be lower grade than it actually is.

• Options

Nice.
    You went the extra mile and chose the 1837 no stars for the 1838-59 type!
    An excellent choice. You get both "no stars" and "no drapery" that way!

I like the 1859 Philadelphia as a type as well. It has a Paquet obverse with "hollow stars"
    and a thinner / taller Ms. Liberty, plus taller LIBERTY on the shield.
    Much more affordable than the Pacquet $20, too! :)

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@rhedden said:

135k is about 1% of the 13.37m 1853 total mintage.
    Pretty much impossible to cherrypick since it's been in the Red Book and folders since day 1.
    I remember when I got my 1853 no arrows. I wanted to cherrypick one, but eventually accepted the reality....

Both Breen and @MrHalfDime suggested that identifying die varieties on the 1853 was futile,
    due to the large mintage and large number of dies.
    But we have made some progress on it.
    There are 2 different date gang punches. (Most years only have 1).
    Your 1853 V-1 no arrows has the "blunt 5". The other is "pointed 5".
    Most of the obverses with pointed 5 have the date and arrows on the hub, so there is no variation in date position.
    But a few have the date hand punched into the die.
    All the obverses with blunt 5 seem to have the date and arrows hand punched,
    so they have varying date and arrow positions which can be identified with some work. :smile:

I remember managing to get a good deal on my 1853-O no arrows on ebay, many years ago.
    This coin is notorious for having a weak date, so it appears to be lower grade than it actually is.

Thanks Clint
    I appreciate your help and information. So looks like i found a winner! Now the 53 o NA or 38 o.
    Thanks again Paddy

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to find my coin path, and I can see myself getting half dime fever. My question is, why did you choose half dimes vs half dollars of the same design? I could go either way.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 3:47PM

@Rob9874 said:
    Trying to find my coin path, and I can see myself getting half dime fever. My question is, why did you choose half dimes vs half dollars of the same design? I could go either way.

The capped bust half dime series is a short series that is very doable to complete a date set. There are a 125 die marriages to obtain those all 125 is a life time challange . The seated series is full of fun varieties, however mintages in the 1860's are very low. But half dimes arent a series where you are going to have a lot of competition, so you'll enjoy being able,to build your collection without fighting over a date or coin that others want just as bad.
    Over the years i have started and stopped a few series....h-10's are my Jam!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Rob9874 said:

The epcap half dime series is a short series that is very doable to complete amdate set. There are a 125 die marriages to obtain those all 125 is a life time challange . The seated series is full of fun varieties, however mintages in the 1860's are very low. But half dimes arent a series where you are going to have a lot of competition, so you'll enjoy being able,to build your collection without fighting over a date or coin that others want just as bad.

1. I started into capped bust half dimes because they are available in nearly all grades and affordable on my budget. Initial goal was to have one coin from each year 1829-1837 in PCGS AU58, figured it would make for a decent Registry Set. At the time, it would have cost less than $3,000 to complete that set.
    2. I moved into die marriages and remarriages shortly after, mostly because I learned about their existence, bought the book, and met some fellow half dime collectors. Fever set in.
    3. There are 92 die marriages. There are 31 additional die remarriages. That's a total of 123 coins in the "complete set" for capped bust half dimes. If you would like to see what a complete set of 123 coins looks like, check out this set: https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/early-half-dimes-specialty-sets/capped-bust-half-dimes-die-variety-set-by-logan-mccloskey-circulation-strikes-1829-1837/alltimeset/78799
  • Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

The perfect half dime!

Ken
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    Here is an under appreciated date, the 1801.

Well you just send her to me and she'll get all the application she can handle.... :o

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought that 1801 half dime from the late Bruce Longyear when he worked for JJ Party in Boston. The late Jules Reiver recalled the coin when I showed it to him years ago. There are not a lot of nice ones around.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2021 5:26PM

@Barndog said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Rob9874 said:

The epcap half dime series is a short series that is very doable to complete amdate set. There are a 125 die marriages to obtain those all 125 is a life time challange . The seated series is full of fun varieties, however mintages in the 1860's are very low. But half dimes arent a series where you are going to have a lot of competition, so you'll enjoy being able,to build your collection without fighting over a date or coin that others want just as bad.

1. I started into capped bust half dimes because they are available in nearly all grades and affordable on my budget. Initial goal was to have one coin from each year 1829-1837 in PCGS AU58, figured it would make for a decent Registry Set. At the time, it would have cost less than $3,000 to complete that set.
    2. I moved into die marriages and remarriages shortly after, mostly because I learned about their existence, bought the book, and met some fellow half dime collectors. Fever set in.
    3. There are 92 die marriages. There are 31 additional die remarriages. That's a total of 123 coins in the "complete set" for capped bust half dimes. If you would like to see what a complete set of 123 coins looks like, check out this set: https://pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/early-half-dimes-specialty-sets/capped-bust-half-dimes-die-variety-set-by-logan-mccloskey-circulation-strikes-1829-1837/alltimeset/78799

Hunting for die marriages sounds fun. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Federal Half Dimes book. There's one on eBay for $195. Anyone have one for sale cheaper than that?

• Options

@Rob9874 said:

@Barndog said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Rob9874 said:

Hunting for die marriages sounds fun. I'm about to pull the trigger on the Federal Half Dimes book. There's one on eBay for $195. Anyone have one for sale cheaper than that?

Good luck...! I believed that I had found the L&M book on half dimes about a year ago.I jumped on it right away. Paid for it....waited it came..only it was the L&M on dimes! They used a stock photo not a new one. Im still on the hunt....a buddy wanted the L&M on dimes so I sold it to him.
    It seems the only time you find such is when a old collector passes.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 12:12PM

The Logan and McCloskey "Federal Half Dimes" is a very good book - the best coin book on my shelf.
    Amazingly they figured out the die emission sequence, partly by counting the reeds on the edge, the infamous "third die".
    I used it for several years to look for the rarer capped bust die varieties on ebay.
    I also used it to figure out the date on a very low grade bust half dime that I bought on ebay,
    by identifying the reverse. It was an 1801 LM-2.

It must have been many years in the making, because it is very complete.
    Since its publication in 1998, only 2 new discoveries have been added:

• 1830 LM-1.0 (2007)
    • 1835 LM-12 (2007)

One of the forum members @UtahCoin made a website which lists all the capped bust varieties,
    and shows the key differences between the obverses and reverses for each date with nice color plates.
    https://518616078926146539.weebly.com/ (fast)
    https://web.archive.org/web/20181005000505/http://www.everythinghalfdimes.com/ (slow - 2018 archive)
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1049146/my-everythinghalfdimes-com-attribution-site-is-back-up-kind-of

• Options
    bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

This is my half dime!!! LOL LOL LOL

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2021 6:15PM

@Nathan401 said:
    I fell in love with these little coins when I started perusing CoinTalk, and was really introduced to the series by @HalfDimeDude. I don’t own any uncirculated examples, they’re a little outside of what I could normally spend on coins. I’d prefer to get several with a little wear and tear for the same price.

I warned you ...straight up that these little gems are habbit forming! But nothing is more uplifting then someone following in your footsteps! You embraced the series and I know you collect other series and things.... but I be willing to bet ....if asked what you collect ....h-10's would be your #1 answer...... :*

• Options

It's a shame when collectors begin a thread on a series which they intend to discuss in a mature and educational manner to have it disrupted by kindergarten type of behavior. It is truly not funny, or is it productive to the forum,or Numismatics in general!

• Options

Nice one Clint.... very pretty h-10 will pm you soon on a few items soon!

• Options

@jom said:

jom

Nice...... pretty coin

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 4:14PM

• Options
    USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 4:15PM

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:

@jom said:

jom

Nice...... pretty coin

And 33 a better date i believe that I only have two 33 specimens. You just dont find them at shows....well around these parts. Sharp coin very eye appealing.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

Absolutely magnificent.
    My favorite is actually the H10 - I dare you to cross them all, you'll be happier I can only imagine, and they should get beaned while you at it.
    Gosh, drooling over that halfdime!
    You so suck cardinal!

• Options
    cardinalcardinal Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:

@cardinal said:

Absolutely magnificent.
    My favorite is actually the H10 - I dare you to cross them all, you'll be happier I can only imagine, and they should get beaned while you at it.
    You so suck cardinal!

@marcmoish
    Okay, how about this:

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 5:51PM

@cardinal That really is one amazing set!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    edited May 10, 2021 5:54PM

No doupt>>>>> you suck! Two thumbs up

• Options

The trouble is with most collectors and half dimes 3 centt silver is their size! Yeah once again size matters! Well to some.... but if you like great designs that changed over the series life.... the history, you should truly appreciate the half dime. The fact is that you can find ms specimens is amazing it self. I do understand everyone has their favorite, but to overlook a series like half dimes one will regret later on.

• Options

@Zoins said:
    I don't have any but I do love these coins.

Here's a copper one from Bob Simpson:

Wow sweet !

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@marcmoish said:

@cardinal said:

Absolutely magnificent.
    You so suck cardinal!

@marcmoish
    Okay, how about this:

Now you just being wicked, damn you.
    🤭🥴

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2021 6:26PM

@HalfDimeDude said:
    The trouble is with most collectors and half dimes 3 centt silver is their size! Yeah once again size matters! Well to some.... but if you like great designs that changed over the series life.... the history, you should truly appreciate the half dime. The fact is that you can find ms specimens is amazing it self. I do understand everyone has their favorite, but to overlook a series like half dimes one will regret later on.

All coins are the same size with TrueViews!

• Options

I respect everyones personal choice or preferences, but just think of this.... the designs of American coinage ,was what every other country wanted their coinage to look like! From early on the designs were unbelievable, going forward from the 1700, 1800, and the early 1900's the designs were timeless! Teddy Roosevelt wanted to depict what his true vision of America was in his eye. The Native American, the buffalo , but also the influence of art deco the standing Liberty quarter, the mercury dime... I'll probably catch a lot of heck saying this but todays designs are a huge step down as to the designs talked about above. I personally feel those designs that were revisted were very poorly done! With all the help of computers etc... the hand held pencils of the artist who designed early American coinage will never be revisited ever!

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:

Well, you guys convinced me. You’ve converted another to the club. This thread has been fun and informative.

• Options

@Rob9874 said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Well, you guys convinced me. You’ve converted another to the club. This thread has been fun and informative.

Go up to @Nathan401 post : I recall when he and I first met on a coin forum and talked about what we collected. I warned him then and he will tell you this...that these little gems are habbit forming! We have at times lost touch do to lots of reasons, he is young, owns his own business ,married,kids, dog....etc.... but the 1 thing that keeps us both in touch is collecting, and half dimes. The one above in the anacs holder 1838 lg stars.... he scored about a week ago for $25!
    Tell me where do you find 180 year old coin graded in fine 12 for $25?
    @Rob9874 welcome to the club....please note you been duly noted of the possibility of addiction associated with collecting H-10's ! May I suggest as a guide and one still obtainable at present the Kevin Flynn book on half dimes. The book is now out of print....I believe Alan at coinzip may still have copies, if not google it to find one. This guide is one of the best reference out there at present. It has a ton of information and varieties, mintages, and facts about the series.
    "The Authoritative reference on Liberty seated half dimes."
    Buy the book before the coin...as this reference is your road map to sucess.
    As well @yosclimber here on CU. Clint is a walking encyopida on this topic he has been not only a good friend since I've joined but a huge value to me, who believed that i knew quite a bit on this series. Good luck good hunting and always ask questions. Regards Paddy

• Options

The new attribution guide is available (free) for several dates at:
    https://sites.google.com/view/clintcummins/half-dime-attribution-guide
    It includes the "Top 100" varieties list, which may be helpful for seeing what some of the best varieties look like.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1035720/top-100-seated-half-dime-varieties-list-and-112-page-pdf

• Clint
  • Options

Thanks to both of you, very helpful. I will seek out that book. I've seen several H-10's come up for sale recently (and some ending tonight on Heritage), but I'm trying to restrain myself to read and learn before buying, but I'm itching to get my first one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file