Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

American silver eagle error

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked up a new error for inventory.

A 1995 American eagle with a struck through string error that's retained.

Just thought it was interesting enough to throw in inventory.

Never seen a struck through string that was retained before.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

string or metal?

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    BenVBenV Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Very cool! I recently acquired a 2018 strikethrough ASE of my own. Not typically an error collector, but for the same price as a normal example I couldn't turn it down.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would drive me nuts until I dug it out.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow... retained... and looks like there is some 'flow' over the thread by the Y.... Very interesting. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    string or metal?

I had the same question. I've often heard that the "strings" are thin copper wires from brushes used to debrade / clean the dies in production, similar to but much finer than what you would use to clean your grill.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

is that really "under" the metal? translucent metal is not something i encounter often so perhaps you can walk me through it. :#

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    is that really "under" the metal? translucent metal is not something i encounter often so perhaps you can walk me through it. :#

I believe under is meant as below the surface level not actually behind the metal.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I believe under is meant as below the surface level not actually behind the metal.

what the heck. i'm literally more confused now! are below and behind not synonymous in this context? it looks like it is covered by metal in a couple spots. :confused:

i mean, what else is it behind, below, under, opposite of etc? i was originally thinking glue but i need better close-ups than the pretty good ones provided.

:open_mouth:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@jmlanzaf said:

what the heck. i'm literally more confused now! are below and behind not synonymous in this context? it looks like it is covered by metal in a couple spots. :confused:

i mean, what else is it behind, below, under, opposite of etc? i was originally thinking glue but i need better close-ups than the pretty good ones provided.

:open_mouth:

If you sink a putt on the 18th hole, the ball is below the green but not behind the grass.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seanq said:

@derryb said:
    string or metal?

I had the same question. I've often heard that the "strings" are thin copper wires from brushes used to debrade / clean the dies in production, similar to but much finer than what you would use to clean your grill.

Sean Reynolds

You clean your grill?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    If you sink a putt on the 18th hole, the ball is below the green but not behind the grass.

ahhh, now it all makes sense. i was thinking the 12th hole.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@seanq said:

@derryb said:
    string or metal?

Sean Reynolds

You clean your grill?

Was once served a steak with a strike through

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like a string and not metal, but I will put it on the scope this afternoon and get a better look

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

B) error coin

Sometimes the dragon wins

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's an American Silver Eagle error you don't see all the time. I saw a write up on the NGC site when they found a clip in an unopened box submitted for First Strike designation, saying there were less than 6 known at the time. This one was cracked out of an NGC slab and lives in my 7070 full of clips.

Here's the NGC article from 2015

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file