Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did I just find the real deal?! No clad layer quarter...

KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just came out of a roll...
Seems to be well struck, exact same thickness and size as a cladded one.
Looks to be a touch over on the weight... not a hint of clad anywhere...It's straight up orange :smiley:
@FredWeinberg @ErrorsOnCoins ???

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

Comments

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not an expert, but I would guess some kind of PMD/environmental damage.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, that is a damaged coin, sorry.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental damage.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

The splotchy color is a good indicator that it is environment damage.

It is also rare to find an example missing both obverse and reverse layers. And if it was, it would weigh less than a normal quarter.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 11:27AM

I don't think so. I just found one myself. The normal one weighs exactly what you have. Mine weighs 4.7. Keep on hunting though. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

Acetone might reveal the clad, if it's there.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above...

No way. Normal thickness, weight. So no missing layers. Just crusty.

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Looks like a typical "dug" coin from a metal dectorist - spent just a short time in the ground. They range from coins like the one you found to almost completely dark brown/black when you find clad in the ground.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 1:19PM

Could be acid stripped. That gives it that matte appearance.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

thanks for the nice pics

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:

@JBK said:
    As above...

There is definitely no clad. The color is crusty on the copper but not covering any clad...that's ALL copper 100% for sure.

So possibly an acid strip.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@JBK said:
    As above...

There is definitely no clad. The color is crusty on the copper but not covering any clad...that's ALL copper 100% for sure.

These types of coins have been posted here before - I even posted a nickel once that was copper colored. They are very familiar to many people here,

If it was acid dipped it would show signs of it, and the coin would be noticeably thinner.

Also, the "silver" layers are actually an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel, so with the right environmental damage the copper color predominates.

If you still think it is an error, you should pay up and submit it for PCGS's opinion, but if it were mine I'd prove to you what it is by taking a file to the edge and revealing 3 layers.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2021 6:32PM

@JBK said:

@Kurisu said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@JBK said:
    As above...

These types of coins have been posted here before - I even posted a nickel once that was copper colored. They are very familiar to many people here,

If it was acid dipped it would show signs of it, and the coin would be noticeably thinner.

Also, the "silver" layers are actually an alloy of 75% copper and 25% nickel, so with the right environmental damage the copper color predominates.

If you still think it is an error, you should pay up and submit it for PCGS's opinion, but if it were mine I'd prove to you what it is by taking a file to the edge and revealing 3 layers.

I actually did file a groove on the edge for a post in another forum on one of those quarters that was platinum plated to reveal the copper layer so everyone could see (it was actually @FredWeinberg who recommended I do it lol so I happily did!)... this one looks like a combination of nothing but copper colors (some of it with more patina and some with almost none) to me and doesn't look plated. Especially since the entire edge is a perfect match to a darkened copper penny.

I'm certainly not an error expert but I've been searching rolls since the 70's and have never seen environmental damage that makes the entire quarter convincingly look like copper... I'm hesitant to take an exacto knife to a groove in the edge of this one...

Also I would've expected some of the detail of the strike to be less sharp if it the lamination layer had been removed.

I 100% trust @ErrorsOnCoins response that this is damage of some sort.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

Jbk is spot on. Ive dug many nickels and clad that get orangy red, and various shades of brown. Pretty typical damage from being buried.

"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

the toning to me suggests copper plated

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely environmental damage. The clad layer is an alloy of 75% Cu and 25% Ni. I can't recall the mechanism, but many types of environmental exposures will leave clad coins and nickels (same alloy) with a copper like appearance.

I'm guessing heat damage, but who knows the exact cause.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on thickness and weight, and your comments about it appearing to be pure copper (including edge, before destructive evaluation), I would say it has been copper plated, and then environmentally stained. The plating could account for the minor 'overweight' (5.69 vs. 5.67). PMD. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

Here are some of my more recent metal detecting finds of clad coins- no attempt at cleaning made yet, When I get ready to spend or take them back to bank I will either soak or polish them and most will come out looking something like coin by original poster.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks like a metal detecting dig. looks like it might have been dug in a playscape (dug a few of them before)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file