Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would this Quarter Eagle make an MS grade?

relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or is it an AU-58?

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or a 58+ ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not mint state.

• fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭

Light wipe

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 60 to me. Congrats!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the lighting, I would say at least Au 58

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

Lighting in the pics make it look 58.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU details cleaned

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pic looks like hairlines. Might need more photos at different angles to see the surface condition to verify. Looks like there might be some wear or friction on the brow hair, so I would think that without hairlines = low ms, with hairlines AU or cleaned details grade.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure if the pictures are different on my screen, but it looks ms to me. I’m not seeing where the cleaned comments are coming from

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's Mint State from those pics. With better pics I may say AU58 but I don't see any signs of wear or cleaning in the pics. It's definitely worth getting slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• earlyAurumearlyAurum Posts: 722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it in. It looks nice but you never know what will be rendered. I can't see any obvious cleaning/hairlines.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on the OP pictures, I would say low MS.... I am not seeing signs of cleaning and no obvious wear. We know coin photography can be tricky, so more pictures could support or change the opinion. Cheers, RickO

• bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

From the pics I would say yes to MS grade

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 2:36PM

Aspirational MS66 :#

Very tricky photo. Compounded by 77 year-old eyes and my not having looked at MS 20th Century Lib $2 1/2's for at least twenty years. Pride goeth before a fall.

The diminution of granularity in some areas of the obverse suggests a halo effect often seen with and often associated with (usually correctly) a light cleaning. I see a shift from granular to satin textures, not cleaning.

Curiously, it reminds me of the shifts in texture (most dramatic on the obverse) on the surfaces of some 1877-CC quarters.

Edited to add: Using the above logic, if "they" think it has rub, it'll end up in a 64 holder.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
    edited April 21, 2021 3:29PM

The basis for my cleaned comment:

1. Halo effect.
    2. Dark areas that I’m interpreting as a diminution /impairment of luster.
    3. On my screen at least, the obverse appears to have a glossy sheen in places.

Any more pictures? Any videos?

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 10:41PM

I'm kind of with the Colonel on this one. If MS, why not high MS? It seems to be nicely struck, nicely lustrous, and devoid of any significant hits. It really depends on the lighting and nature of the apparent stuff in the fields and faint hairlines. Photos of really nice high-grade MS gold can tremendously over-emphasize apparent hairlines if illuminated in certain ways. Gold isn't graded like silver either.

• relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try and get some better photos. My old coolpix finally crapped out, so all I have is a phone.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images show that it is either AU or MS, who knows? The only possible way to know that is to send it in for grading.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think MS, but for some reason I am having a hard time settling on a grade from the photos.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mannie gray said:
    Unc details

+1

It's been wiped down.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some more images with different lighting angles would be necessary to determine for sure.
    But I would say it looks like potentially MS62 to MS64.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the pictures allow for meaningful grade guesses in approximately the AU58-MS66 grade range, maybe cleaned, maybe not.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2021 5:23PM

@Smudge said:
    I think MS, but for some reason I am having a hard time settling on a grade from the photos.

I believe we have a significant plurality here B)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    I think the pictures allow for meaningful grade guesses in approximately the AU58-MS66 grade range, maybe cleaned, maybe not.😉

Yeah, that about sums it up. :D

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

The photos make it tough. If not AU, I’d think MS62.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    The photos make it tough. If not AU, I’d think MS62.

Why? If it’s uncirculated and not cleaned, what do you see that would keep it from a significantly higher grade than 62?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file