Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just bought a 1960 cameo Franklin half dollar

How can I tell if this coins contrast is solid for the pcgs cam designation. Reposting this as I add clearer pictures

Best Answers

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin photography, as has been demonstrated here many times, can be deceptive - not always intentionally. In your pictures, the obverse looks CAM, the reverse, less so. Again, it could be your picture/lighting. Certainly looks almost DCAM in the dealer pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    robbylu52robbylu52 Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your feedback. Do you have a picture of a dcam Franklin you could post. What does ogp mean?

• Options

Thanks for the pictures nice coin

Answers

• Options

• Options

• Options

Would appreciate any collectors opinions as I am new to cameo Franklins

• Options

Also is it usual for cameo Franklins to come with clean unhazy un spotted fields

• Options
    hifisapihifisapi Posts: 42 ✭✭

is that a finger print on bens left cheek? Nice coin.

• Options

No finger print very clean clear fields

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2021 3:21AM

CAM is tough for me.

DCAM is easy.

I got a couple CAM Roosevelt dimes and Jeff Nickels, that I missed at first glance. The larger coin certainly helps.

I would buy a typical proof just for handy comparison.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

Can any other collectors please tell me if the coin is solid or high for the pcgs grade?

• Options

Can anybody post pictures of their deep cameo Franklins?

• Options

This is what the coin looked like on the dealers website

• Options

• Options

• Options

I still am very happy with the coin I bought but thought it was going to look almost dcam from these pictures

• Options

Coin photography tricky lol

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options

See real photos at top. Are you referring to my photo or web site

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

As ricko posted, hard to tell in the pics. The reverse is usually the culprit that determines cam and dcam on the Frankies.

• Options

Degrees of frost and even grader opinions on Cam and dcam can vary greatly.

TPG's standards vary and have changed over the years.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a nice looking coin. No milk spots or unattractive toning, which both occur regularly while in the OGP.
    As long as you bought it at CAM pricing, you’re good. Hoping for a DCAM out of it, even based on the glamour shot on the website, would be misguided. I would imagine any coins DLRC thought was worthy of the DCAM would have been resubmitted already.
    I put together a full set of proof Franks and yours is definitely a fine example.

• Options

Can you post a photo of a dcam Franklin from your set?

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robbylu52 said:
    Can any other collectors please tell me if the coin is solid or high for the pcgs grade?

grading proofs coins from pictures is very difficult because hairlines in field are not easily seen. Go to Coinfacts and see as many DCAMs as you like.

https://pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1960-50c-dcam/images/96701

• Options
    MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

The distinction between CAM and DCAM on 60s Franklins is a close one. This 62 from my registry set looked like a CAM to me, but graded at DCAM.

• Options

Nice looking coin

• Options

Are those spots in left field?

• Options

And 1 in right fields

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2021 2:45PM

@robbylu52 said:
    Can you post a photo of a dcam Franklin from your set?

Nope. That’s how I know yours is nice :smile:
    Edit to explain - I don’t have any. Only 1 or 2 raw ones that might go CAM.

• Options

I paid $85 is that a fair price for this nice coin

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my dcam for comparison. I would say yours is real close, but I am no expert.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2021 4:18PM

A quick glance on Ebay only showed a couple of sold Cameos in that grade and that price.

Whether it is worth submitting for reconsideration is another matter.

I have looked many many proof sets.

CAM and DCAM are best judged in hand and many times you are best to buy the coin you want in a DCAM holder.

Graders are rarely wrong. My canceled checks prove this...

• Options

• Options

• Options

Do you think this coin can green sticker at CAC

• Options

Would appreciate any advice from fellow collectors

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would need thicker frost (especially so on the reverse lettering) for a DCAM designation.

peacockcoins

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, as you can see from your images versus the dealer's images, he has juiced the contrast a bit. This is fairly common with dealers. Over time you will learn which dealers show actual coin images as opposed to jacked up coin contrast images.

You have a basic 1960 Franklin CAM. 1960 and 1961 Franklins, when they CAM/DCAM tend to have a mismatched frost, with generally the obverse having a deeper frosting. I would not send the coin in for CAC'ing as the right side of the bell on the reverse appears to be a little light on the cameo contrast. It's a pretty coin. With regards to the technical grade, I never give them on proofs, as hairlines tend to be the driver of the technical grade, and it's almost impossible to detect them in imagery.

If you haven any more questions about Franklins I'd be happy to answer them. Please feel free to send me a PM.

Here is my 1961. It's a PCGS PR68DCAM.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

the reverse holds it back

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Can I get more collectors opinions if I can get a green sticker at CAC please. Thanks

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,848 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2021 12:31AM

You seem to be obsessed with CAC.

You have started three separate threads on this same coin in the Q&A forum. :/

Why not just buy a CACed coin and be done with it.

• Options

I just wanted a few different opinions as I like my coin very much and would like to see it with a CAC sticker. I also reposted some of the photos of this coin, that’s why there are a few threads. Seems like a more moderate light source made the contrast better, so I wanted some new opinions as I am new to collecting cameos. No need to get mad at me.

• Options

I thank everyone for their kind responses so far.

• Options
    edited April 12, 2021 5:44AM

Criteria taken from CAC website....

1) Verification... Your coin has been verified as meeting the standard for strict quality within its grade.

2) Liquidity... CAC stands behind our verification by making markets in most actively traded coins.

"We verify previously graded coins … and award our sticker only to those coins that meet the standard for today’s selective buyer."

As to point #1... it is subjective in 2D but looks like a nice coin for the grade.

As to Point #2... Who is the market? I probably intentionally buy more proof sets from the late 1950's thru 1960's than everyone combined on this forum. Never met another at any major shows or small shows. Proof coins are gorgeous to begin with, but dreck in the eyes of 99% of the market.

Even if you pass point #1 is there a market or even active buyers?

That selective buyer, a cameo collector, would need a 1960 CAM.

You have a nice, exceedingly hard to locate CAM, in high grade.

Who cares what CAC thinks.

Yeah, I think $85 is a good deal. and can relieve you of your problem.

I have looked at hundreds of sets and found zilch in the wild.

Edited to add... CAC has beaned 22 coins in your CAM PF67 example. Book value $101

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1962 half from a proof set I own.

I've always wanted to send it to PCGS, but with Covid and mailing it from Canada, it's such a bother and a great expense.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to validate my own opinion with the green sticker. Think this coin is amazing for the grade, but haven’t seen any other cams in person to compare in all fairness

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file