Home U.S. Coin Forum

Struck thru on Reverse proof nickel

Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it a good thing or a bad thing. It looks like Jefferson has a question about it.

Hard to get a good shot with the streaky plastic and the lack of camera setup. But with the light angled just right it glows like a big ole question mark.

Is there a following for these or is this an undesirable flaw?

Comments

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it's struck thru a small piece of thread.

I'd say that it's worth a premium on the Rev. Proof -

Can't give a value, as they tend to bring wide price
    ranges depending on the buyers/bidders desire.

You can sell it raw on Ebay (I'd suggest an action
    that starts at .99c), or take a chance, pay a fee
    for certification, and then try to sell it.

Suggest you take it out of the plastic when photographing
    it again for a listing.

Interesting find on a Reverse proof issue

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

At $65 grading for an error plus shipping and handling, I would be looking at $120 for grading. These minor strike thru's actually have the potential to carry that much premium to make it worth while?

• FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, probably not - that's why I used the terms 'take a chance'

A normal nickel wth that struck thru would be a few bucks, imo.

On the reverse proof you have, it could be a $25-$50 coin to
    someone who just needs or wants any kind of error on a
    reverse proof issue coin.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's interesting no matter the 'value' :)
    IMHO
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool looking

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could call it "The Riddler Nickel". This was the name of a character in the Batman comic book stories. He displayed question marks on his costume.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good eye. Good catch. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find, and certainly unique. I would keep it as is in my 'anomaly' collection.... That is not a formal collection, just a drawer where I keep unusual coins I find... Like my blank planchet cent. Cheers, RickO

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as it looks like Jefferson is in need of an idea which is ironic for a man who had many ideas in his lifetime. If you intend to keep it you can always put it in a CoinWorld type self-slab.

@TurtleCat said:
    I like it as it looks like Jefferson is in need of an idea which is ironic for a man who had many ideas in his lifetime. If you intend to keep it you can always put it in a CoinWorld type self-slab.

I might keep it as is. Or for $17 I might add it onto a modern submission and see if it will make it into a PR69 holder. It would be awesome to see in a 70 holder but I don't see that happening.

Here is a close up of the strike thru. It has some surface disturbance on the high points and only graded 65. A bummer grade but the question mark strike thru is neat.

• morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's kind of in the shape of a question mark, is Jefferson thinking about something?

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check the plastic to see if it too is scared.
    That would be my move.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Yes ole Thomas Jefferson must have had something on his mind when they struck that One.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Error collectors may be willing to pay a premium but I would regard it as a defective proof and would decline to purchase it at all. "Errors" like that don't interest me at all. I want to see something dramatic that has a "wow" factor.

All glory is fleeting.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

that one is worthy of an amazing moniker!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file