Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Registry Reads - Toned Coins: A Fad or Here to Stay?

Below are excerpts from an article that appears in the March/April PCGS Rare Coin Market Report.

As collectors, what makes us “gaga” over toned coins? I can’t comment on what you may possibly think about this numismatic eye-candy, but I can share with you what goes on in my little brain. My thoughts include, but are not limited to, the following: “It’s unique; it’s beautiful; oh, my gosh I can’t believe this coin looks like it came out of a bag of Skittles; it’s amazing to view... and... I must buy it!” Maybe you feel as passionately about toning as I do… or maybe you don’t. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. While toning and eye appeal is unquestionably a matter of personal preference, most collectors agree on what is attractive and what is not.

Those of us that do prefer toning, may not appreciate purple (not the artist formerly known as Prince though, he made Purple Rain), others may not like moss tones, and some may like lighter pastel neon tones as opposed to monochromatic tones. “To each their own,” as the cliché goes. Toning enthusiasts are from all corners of the world. Many are found within the PCGS Set Registry, where they update their sets on a regular basis. Our members have been gracious enough to share their toned delights with us to view. These coins may be found under the category of “Collectors Showcase” under the sub-category titled “Toned Coins”.

For the full piece: https://www.pcgs.com/news/toned-coins-a-fad-or-here-to-stay

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2021 5:22AM

@Catbert said:
    Attractive natural toning on a coin can result in a "wow" factor that I find adds to my hobby enjoyment. When I saw this half years ago, I too had the "I gotta have it" reaction.

That's one one super 49!!!! Dang....

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, it's been a fad for the past 30 - 40 years or so, might fade out out any decade now.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love toned coins but hate bullseye toning. The examples above are all beautiful.

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm partial to cabinet and envelope toning, myself. Album toning is ok, but much easier to replicate.

Just a few examples from my set with the type of toning I love the most: