Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Why Is A PR68DCAM Better Than A PR69CAM ???

In my book a PR68 should never be better (more points) than a PR69.
1969-S Washington Quarter

02736812 96001 PR68DCAM 71.00
11219602 86001 PR69CAM 70.00

Everytime I hit "Add Best Available" it replaces the PR69CAM with the lower PR68DCAM

Comments

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondered the same many times myself. Apparently Cam, and Dcam designations trump actual numerical grade.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do get extra points if the Set Composition says so. Not all sets do this.

• Options
    badgerbadger Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I can seldom see the difference between a proof 68 and proof 69. But 9/10 times can see the difference in CAM and DCam.

Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
    1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The most simple and direct answer is "that's because PCGS weights them that way". Viewed another way, the PR69 is graded higher, but the PR68 has the more desirable designation (DCAM vs. CAM).

That is whack.
    Any modifier should be lesser than a full weighting value

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

@badger said:
    I can seldom see the difference between a proof 68 and proof 69. But 9/10 times can see the difference in CAM and DCam.

Frostiness is the technical term
    :)

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the time, the added attribute adds value to a set. DCAM PR68 will score more than a PR69 with no attribute.
    I have a few PR69s in my registry sets that if I replaced them with PR68 DCAMs, I could actually move up from a #4 set to a #3 set. I like the higher grade 69s than the lower 68DCAMs but set registry is what it is.
    Wayne :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

@diehl said:
    In my book a PR68 should never be better (more points) than a PR69.
    1969-S Washington Quarter

02736812 96001 PR68DCAM 71.00
    11219602 86001 PR69CAM 70.00

Everytime I hit "Add Best Available" it replaces the PR69CAM with the lower PR68DCAM

It is that way for the same reason a 51-P MS 64 gold dollar has more points than 55-D AU55 even though the 55-D is over 1800 times rarer. The weighting is incorrectly computed.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously a 'Registry' issue. I look at the coin, not how many points it's worth.

thefinn
  • Options
    JonJetJonJet Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Trying to convince the PCGS Registry Gods that they are wrong...

Is akin to convincing the Cadbury candy company that a bunny doesn't lay eggs

My 1957-2022 Proof Set Collection Has Been Sold

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

because the DCAMs are rarer

• Options

Could some folks post their TrueView image of a CAM that you believe should or could have been graded DCAM? I actually have one myself, but the images are not ready. It looked DCAM, but got PR69 CAM.

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I feel that this one is worthy of a DCAM, so I may send in again. It graded 68CAM

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2022 7:53PM

There’s an easy fix. Just sell or remove the DCAM from your inventory if you prefer the CAM

• Options

As I tend to cross coins over from NGC rather than buying raw and grading I maintain my registry I'm both pCGS and NGC registry sites. NgC allows for the use of PCGS coins in their registry sets so it allows me to see the whole collection not just the PCGS coins.

Oddly NGC ranks coins with a grade of PR69 higher than a coin with a grade of PR68 with a CAM or DCAM attribute So for those of who happen to agree that a grade is just that a grade and the attributes of the grade should be confinded to that grade there is hope.

However that hope for better or worse lies with NGC and not with PCGS