Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA no longer accepting submissions until July 1

Just saw this, looks like no more submissions unless >express until July 1. What does everyone think?

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

HALLELUJAH!

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

He!! Yeah!

And No Quarterly Specials of Course as well!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Soooo... they're going to extend the time I can use my CC vouchers then, right? RIGHT?

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and please catch up. Got a value modern in the mail today. Assuming will be honored. Cannot even start a card or pack sub now. Errors out....

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the t&c's are of the CC membership....

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭

And I believe they extended my PSA Silver Subscription for 90 or 100 Days which was about to expire in 20-30 days.

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 4:02PM

@Copyboy1 said:
    Soooo... they're going to extend the time I can use my CC vouchers then, right? RIGHT?

Yes they are, https://psacard.com/articles/articleview/10367/psa-customer-update-april-2021

Collectors Club members will have their memberships automatically extended to match the duration of the Value suspension. This extension will ensure existing members have 12 full months to utilize their annual Collectors Club benefits.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭

@mrburns443 said:

@Copyboy1 said:

Yes they are, https://psacard.com/articles/articleview/10367/psa-customer-update-april-2021

Collectors Club members will have their memberships automatically extended to match the duration of the Value suspension. This extension will ensure existing members have 12 full months to utilize their annual Collectors Club benefits.

Well then I guess no class action ;)

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:
    He!! Yeah!

YeeHaw!

Neil

collectors club specials will still be in play i hear.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Outstanding news. Golden opportunity for other TPGs to jump in.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

PSA/DNA affected at all? I'd assume not since they are not backed up...

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@swish54 said:
    PSA/DNA affected at all? I'd assume not since they are not backed up...

Super express is the cheapest option for PSA/DNA.

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Probably a good idea from operational perspective.

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2021 4:48PM

any coincidence they did it on the 30th (not the end of the month/quarter) when prizm basketball drops tomorrow?

pretty smart, if you ask me. 😈

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Well....I guess the 70 card sub i have sitting ready to go goes to try out a new provider.

The 7 86 Fleers that are getting me near a PSA graded 8/9 set? Gonna have to wait....UGH!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smart move. Better to suspend service then disappoint thousands of customers.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

More cards in three days than the first three months.

WOW

• Options

YAY!

east coast facility!

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 5:49PM

aw

• Options
    bobbybradyjrbobbybradyjr Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2021 10:02AM

Smart move and sound long term thinking.

• Options

@blurryface said:

@bobbybradyjr said:
    Smart move and sound long term thinking.

And, as blurry said, great timing with NBA Prizm releasing tomorrow. Those cards alone would probably cause another huge backup.

in turn all those prizm base cards will be sent to csg, hga, sgc and absolutely drown them by catching them off guard. all while psa clears backlogs, ramps up facilities and faculties while opening new locations. then by reopening the floodgates slowly but surely and raising the prices again, they'll be able to help control the pet population. brilliant business move if you ask me.

Yeah. My money is on Nat and his team. Business is business and he has a very proven track record.

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

I couldn't approve of this decision more. I think it's my favorite move they have ever made. The idea of a solution to their problem where the customer loses big and they win big does not feel right. I think that leaves people with a bad taste in their mouth. Take some time to get things closer to right. You know what is coming in 2 months so prepare. A tsunami ten times larger. They are aware of what they need to do. Keep interviewing and expand. I can wait. But if Value is still $20, I will like the move a little less.

• Options

Something they should have at least partially done 6 months ago.

I would not expect any real value tier to come back for a long time. It will come back but be even higher priced than today. And then If things ever get under control they would start back a bulk tier for certain eras. Or just run specials. Expecting to pay less than 100 a card anytime this year is a pipe dream

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good move by PSA. I wasn't going to sub anytime soon with the current prices anyways, so I guess it doesn't really affect me. This is probably long overdue though. They have to get caught up somehow.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow the lines at the National will be insane. Those could very well be their next submissions.

• Options
    edited April 24, 2021 7:58PM

@brad31 said:
    Wow the lines at the National will be insane. Those could very well be their next submissions.

I hope to be there but not so sure I will submit there now. Could be a very unpleasant experience.

• Options

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:
    I couldn't approve of this decision more. I think it's my favorite move they have ever made. The idea of a solution to their problem where the customer loses big and they win big does not feel right. I think that leaves people with a bad taste in their mouth. Take some time to get things closer to right. You know what is coming in 2 months so prepare. A tsunami ten times larger. They are aware of what they need to do. Keep interviewing and expand. I can wait. But if Value is still $20, I will like the move a little less.

do you think the Value is going up or down?

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

If the jobs are silo'd at PSA, as has been talked about, then how does this improve throughput time with what is already an avalanche/tsunami/whatever in the queue? It doesn't. The number of new employee graders were going to get spun up the same way as before, on the backlog, which is clearly a couple or few quarters of the year deep. It's not like this pause will turn receiving guys into graders. At one point the receiving guys will get caught up, but the March Madness bulge of cards that happened(and the backup before it) moving through the snake will be on the research dept. Is that where via scan and tech improvements they catch up? Maybe. Without more graders, it bottlenecks there....then QA, then shipping etc.

Could even be that they were running out of cases, as has been mentioned and their current in house case load> available cases now and in the near future.

It will solve issues that would have arisen with stuff that would have come in in the future, but this isn't a backlog solver.

Sign on or poaching bonuses for graders are what's going to skyrocket....that's the big bottleneck, grading. Unless you really jump up your AI grading, which hasn't seemed to be the solution, at least publicly.

Happy, and not happy at the same time. Which I guess is an improvement over mostly not happy for the last couple months. So yay? Meh.

• Options
    CentauriCentauri Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2021 7:37PM

I made my first sub at the end of December, glad I got in under the wire though it seems like it will still be a year door to door.

And yes, seems like a very good business decision to me. They gotta get their act together.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@thedutymon11 said:
    He!! Yeah!

YeeHaw!

Neil

I am confused I thought these had been suspended too.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anything changing on the coin side?

• Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 477 ✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

Well, I was hoping < $20 and closer to $10 or $12 or hey, I like the old bulk price of $8 for a 100 card submission which I never used but was building up enough cards to one day try. It feels hard to justify $20 when they very recently felt $10 or $12 was the appropriate price. Its not like it was this price for ages so we adjust for inflation. Feels like the point of $20 was to put the brakes on submissions.

What do I think? I think it's 20 or more because I am used to being disappointed with changes. But with a new owner who knows what to expect? Maybe we see moves aimed at customer retention and satisfaction instead of moves aimed at decreasing demand.

If the price continues to move up with the justification being that card prices are going up, I think we get into some weird space like we saw with momentum growth stocks with no earnings and the price just kept going up because people said that company does something neat and it keeps going up so I will buy it whatever the price is. Then that moment comes when somebody says Whoa Nelly. This price does not look appropriate and it moves down quick and heavy.

• Options

@Cakes said:

@blurryface said:

@thedutymon11 said:
    He!! Yeah!

YeeHaw!

Neil

I am confused I thought these had been suspended too.

still there for me:

• Options

Well, I was hoping < $20 and closer to $10 or $12 or hey, I like the old bulk price of $8 for a 100 card submission which I never used but was building up enough cards to one day try. It feels hard to justify $20 when they very recently felt $10 or $12 was the appropriate price. Its not like it was this price for ages so we adjust for inflation. Feels like the point of $20 was to put the brakes on submissions.

What do I think? I think it's 20 or more because I am used to being disappointed with changes. But with a new owner who knows what to expect? Maybe we see moves aimed at customer retention and satisfaction instead of moves aimed at decreasing demand.

If the price continues to move up with the justification being that card prices are going up, I think we get into some weird space like we saw with momentum growth stocks with no earnings and the price just kept going up because people said that company does something neat and it keeps going up so I will buy it whatever the price is. Then that moment comes when somebody says Whoa Nelly. This price does not look appropriate and it moves down quick and heavy.

I tend to agree, as a collector/seller of vintage prices have to go down to justify subbing a lot of items but I doubt we will ever see prices anywhere close to the levels we were at ($8 bucks bulk) just 6 months ago which were doable.

as long as modern breakers can submit almost all the cards immediately and have a market for them , there is no way the classic collectors will get cheaper grading fees because there will always be more business that PSA can handle. What I am curious about is all the sweetheart deals they have in place. PSA used to need guys like 4sharp to submit 10K cards a month at a low rate but to have the guaranteed revenue and to facilitate a secondary market, that does not seem to be the case anymore so will they just dump all these players as well. interesting times that just keep getting more interesting ......

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think the plan is to complete all in-house orders before July 1st?

• Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭

About to crash the value of Prizm basketball. Gonna be interesting to see what this does to wax prices. Many will say nothing but the value of many of these cards are in the anticipated PSA 10 values. A raw Lamelo Ball is $250 but a psa 10 is $750. No one will pay $300(ok some will but most won’t) to grade it during this pause period. This makes the best base card from a box worth about 15% of the box price. I can see wax prices coming down drastically that with the increased production in prizm basketball this year could burst some bubbles.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options

@soxaddict said:
    Does anyone think the plan is to complete all in-house orders before July 1st?

zero way that is feasible w/ any amount of honest consistency, imo.

• Options

. PSA used to need guys like 4sharp to submit 10K cards a month at a low rate but to have the guaranteed revenue and to facilitate a secondary market, that does not seem to be the case anymore so will they just dump all these players as well. interesting times that just keep getting more interesting ......

i would assume any 4sc deals expired or became null & void w the transfer of ownership. one would think the timing & implementation of a consignment operation at this juncture would help solidify that. couple that with the crazy prices of all things wax these days and that severely limits their old business model. a consignment operation completely contradicts the early business model of 4sc.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look for Beckett to do the same thing and discontinue submissions. They are currently at a 9 month turnaround.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I hope they'll announce the new rates (if there are changes) in advance. With submissions closed, I don't really see what harm it could do. Then dealers and collectors can decide which cards they'll send to PSA when everything's back up and which cards they'll sell raw or send elsewhere.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I'm already cringing just thinking of what The National will look like this year overall. It's going to be like New York on New Years Eve as everyone stands and waits for 14 hours for the ball to drop. Everyone packed in like sardines.

• Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    I'm already cringing just thinking of what The National will look like this year overall. It's going to be like New York on New Years Eve as everyone stands and waits for 14 hours for the ball to drop. Everyone packed in like sardines.

That sounds like ZERO fun to me. None whatsoever.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

i would assume any 4sc deals expired or became null & void w the transfer of ownership. one would think the timing & implementation of a consignment operation at this juncture would help solidify that. couple that with the crazy prices of all things wax these days and that severely limits their old business model. a consignment operation completely contradicts the early business model of 4sc.

I would assume the new owner would honor any agreement (if any) with 4sc, at least temporarily. Guaranteed long term revenue is what most businesses strive for. The "deal" might have been renegotiated, but I'll bet PSA is still accepting cards from them.

@demondeacs said:
    I hope they'll announce the new rates (if there are changes) in advance. With submissions closed, I don't really see what harm it could do. Then dealers and collectors can decide which cards they'll send to PSA when everything's back up and which cards they'll sell raw or send elsewhere.

"New rates"? Maybe pro football will drop pricing next year too. I would be shocked if there are any price drops.

On a different note, I wonder if there has been a huge increase in non sports card (Pokemon) submissions that may be driving this demand for grading?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

PS - SGC was bragging that they "fixed" their problem and they will never get backed up again. It will be interesting to see if that is indeed true, as they will no doubt get flooded now.

• Options
    ckimckim Posts: 24 ✭✭
    edited March 31, 2021 6:15AM

PSA should suspend submission til rest of the year and predict they follow later. By July 1 will do nothing to alleviate their current backlogs.

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

also from Steve Sloan:

"...Please also know that PSA is working on physical office expansion to new international markets, and for the first time, new grading locations in the United States. This will help diffuse submissions across multiple locations and allow PSA to tap into new grading talent across the hobby."

Please expand to Canada, or at least closer to the border and/or in the East coast.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

How would massive lines at PSA and the others affect the national experience for those of us that would not be getting anything graded?

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:

I bet PSA does not set up.. for subs at least