Options

Joe Orlando - The Tsunami of Cardboard

2»

Comments

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2021 2:13PM

@AFLfan said:

That's good in theory, but those Ford assembly line workers were essentially doing the exact same function day-in and day-out. Graders need to look at all sorts of different items and evaluate determining factors for each. Otherwise the process does move along much like an assembly line as there are people who function only in shipping/receiving, order input, spec, grading, slabbing and all of the other steps. There is no physical assembly line/conveyor belt, but the process is very similar.

I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but we often gets comments to our social media posts to the effect of "instead of posting, you should be grading our cards." I think there is a misconception or misunderstanding of the PSA process that leads people to believe that every PSA employee grades cards. That is not the case, and submitters would not want it to be. Each step in the process is handled by someone who has a focus. You would not want the folks in shipping to be grading your cards, just as you would not want the card graders to be packing your cards to be returned to you.

Truthfully, I am really impressed with the way PSA runs. When I first began working here, I really had no concept of the depth of the entire process. I find it quite impressive.

I have to admit, I love reading the comments on the PSA FB posts. For the most part you have a bunch of guys that just got into the "hobby" in the last 6 months to a year. Flipper #BroBois that want to turn their $5 base cards into $200 and have them back in a week. They complain about the turnaround time and increase in prices. I want to just say, "Bruh, YOU are the problem!". They complain about "greed at PSA" when all they are looking at is making a quick buck. It's the same dudes that will be gone when the easy money stops rolling in. PSA is the one that is making that #SideHustleBank for them.

I can't wait for them to all go back to the rocks they crawled out from under. Maybe that way I can get thru the checkout aisle at Walmart without the smell of loser and desperation in the air around the card shelves.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    something to consider: the rise in grading costs are commensurate with the appreciation in card prices, therefore i personally don't foresee PSA catching up anytime soon while this bull is still charging. even if it bangs off some resistance i don't think there will be much of a slowdown. best-case scenario, it's gonna be an excruciatingly gradual process.

e.g., i recently found some 2009-10T hoops cards (Curry, Harden, DeRozan) that had been taking a Rip Van Winkle-esque nap in a box. then i sauntered over to eBay to check current market values. then i soiled myself. then i had them at the post office the very next morning. destination: California. neither the time nor cost mattered one iota........it was the only move to make. i bid those cards adieu and said c-ya again in '22.

i anticipate a lot of this with the status quo

i agree. there will never be an overnight change in speed, other than backwards.

i know thats what has me shocked right now. new barcode technology, new ownership & i was expecting things to very slowly get better. instead its only gotten slower and more aggravating.

its like waiting all years to tee it up at the masters and then go quad>trip>quad off the rip.

btw: that jack 9 still hasnt officially popped. keeping in mind it was upgraded to the $500 level. 😡

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@galaxy27 said:
    something to consider: the rise in grading costs are commensurate with the appreciation in card prices, therefore i personally don't foresee PSA catching up anytime soon while this bull is still charging. even if it bangs off some resistance i don't think there will be much of a slowdown. best-case scenario, it's gonna be an excruciatingly gradual process.

e.g., i recently found some 2009-10T hoops cards (Curry, Harden, DeRozan) that had been taking a Rip Van Winkle-esque nap in a box. then i sauntered over to eBay to check current market values. then i soiled myself. then i had them at the post office the very next morning. destination: California. neither the time nor cost mattered one iota........it was the only move to make. i bid those cards adieu and said c-ya again in '22.

i anticipate a lot of this with the status quo

i agree. there will never be an overnight change in speed, other than backwards.

i know thats what has me shocked right now. new barcode technology, new ownership & i was expecting things to very slowly get better. instead its only gotten slower and more aggravating.

its like waiting all years to tee it up at the masters and then go quad>trip>quad off the rip.

btw: that jack 9 still hasnt officially popped. keeping in mind it was upgraded to the $500 level. 😡

I would happily pay the up charge on that! Amazing card I’m sure. Congratulations!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

that's pretty much how it has played out in my head every time since i was about 7 :D

can't wait to see it. btw, someone in the other thread intimated that a dime popped, but i just checked and there are no 10s. you are about to join a club more exclusive than ANGC..........only 40 members!

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

It's supply and demand. Human grading is the bottleneck...it requires specialized talent with high levels of training to get someone ready to jump into the line. The flow of cards through PSA is like a parallel processor: each grader is single threaded. How many cores can you add and still have the architecture to support it? At the end of the day, the throughput is limited and the market will find the balance point on its own. If I were PSA, I would be very slow to expand human operations in this market unless you are hiring graders on a contract basis. In other words, you tell them their employment is temporary. I don't think the volume will be sustained long term but even if you think that it is likely to be sustained, why would take the risk if there is any chance at all it will not be? Raising prices to throttle submission rates and increase profit is the best way from the business standpoint. If you dip to under capacity of max throughput, you lower prices (or have other incentives) and increase advertising to raise throughput back to optimal.

I think the value of PSA declines if they go to a purely automated grading mechanism. This isn't due to the quality of the grading process but rather to the flood of PSA flips that would pour onto the market. It would act as a weight on the market by driving up supply. PSA might not care but it causes a race condition where they have to push even more cards through to sustain profit levels.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@blurryface said:

that's pretty much how it has played out in my head every time since i was about 7 :D

can't wait to see it. btw, someone in the other thread intimated that a dime popped, but i just checked and there are no 10s. you are about to join a club more exclusive than ANGC..........only 40 members!

i have 7 of those 40! and 60+ 8s...😈

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@galaxy27 said:

@blurryface said:

i am officially impressed. that was some serious foresight. you are in the catbird seat my man

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@blurryface said:

@galaxy27 said:

@blurryface said:

i am officially impressed. that was some serious foresight. you are in the catbird seat my man

blurry has been kicking some A S S! Is he the guy from the South Park episode that crushes the boys at WOW? Is he QAnon?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

quick pic!

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

I’m sure there’s a 10 in there somewhere

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    I’m sure there’s a 10 in there somewhere

eventually. i like to submit several 9s at a time under a review! ;)