Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Submissions

mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

I am new to submitting coins to CAC. I just received an e-mail from CAC with my results of the coins that I sent in. It was for 13 coins. On the submission results, 3 coins-not CAC, 9 coins passed, and 1 coin exceeded. Does anyone know what exceeded means. I presume that the coins that passed would get green stickers but does the coin that exceeded get a gold sticker? It does not say on the CAC website what exceeded means.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice results....We look forward to a picture of your gold sticker coin when you receive it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, nice first submission! Congrats! From a collector-submitter standpoint, I’ve found CAC enjoyable to work with.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice results - as others have said, excited to see these beauts 👀

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent! Congrats on the great results.
    Lance.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceeded is a gold sticker. You can always put the cert number for the coin in the CAC site search section and it will tell you it is a gold sticker.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job. Nice to know you have a good eye when buying. That's really the whole purpose behind CAC in my opinion. Looking forward to seeing a few posted.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did really well.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet! Looking forward to some images!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations. very nice set !!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    agcedaragcedar Posts: 15 ✭✭

Congrats on your submissions!

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

62% stickered is not good.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 8:04AM

@mrcommem said:
    Here is a link to the digital album

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/mysetregistry/album/17

Linky no worky.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2021 9:09AM

this might be link - I am having a difficult time getting to the showcases, does anyone know of easy way to find them?

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/commemoratives/silver-commemoratives-50-piece-type-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1954/album/17

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:

@PQueue said:

I’d say it’s far above average for most submitters.

It's way above average for this submitter, I can tell you that....

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PQueue said:

I disagree. I think those are decent results. What is your success rate on CAC submissions?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@PQueue said:

I disagree. I think those are decent results. What is your success rate on CAC submissions?

It doesn’t really matter what his percentage is. A 62% rate is better than the overall slicker rate. At the same time, that’s far better than what some submitters achieve and much worse than others. Another consideration is that generally speaking, the more generic/lower grade/lower value coins probably tend to have better success rates.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:

@PQueue said:

My first time through with 12 coins came back with 10 Green and 2 Gold. People said I was lucky. I told them that I don't buy coins unless they are solid for the grade and don't have spots or unattractive toning. Not luck.

thefinn
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tough green and gold stickers to get are the real 'money' grades that jump a lot in the Greysheet on gem and above gold coins; on the gold sticker on AU58 coins or other grades where the gold sticker would indicated a substantial grade jump are hard to get. Impressive gold stickers would be on recently graded PCGS and NGC coins. It is not hard for them to call an early generation PCGS or NGC coin significantly undergraded.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:
    The tough green and gold stickers to get are the real 'money' grades that jump a lot in the Greysheet on gem and above gold coins; on the gold sticker on AU58 coins or other grades where the gold sticker would indicated a substantial grade jump are hard to get. Impressive gold stickers would be on recently graded PCGS and NGC coins. It is not hard for them to call an early generation PCGS or NGC coin significantly undergraded.

While true, there are also a good number of early generation coins with problems (such as putty, PVC or silent net grading due to cleaning) or which were loosely graded. Yet, many collectors and dealers tend to look at coins in older holders with rose-colored glasses.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that the problem early holder coins are the ones that were not cracked out due to perceived problems. I've had several $20 Liberties in old holders that when conserved regraded or even upgraded. Smart collectors steer clear of problem coins, I have been naive taking chances that sometimes work out. And some coins need to be cracked out and re-submitted for grading. A couple examples in the $20 Lib. coins 20 or so years ago: An 1861-O in VF35 that upgraded to XF40, the coin would not have gotten a cac sticker in either case because it had a scratch deemed market acceptable. The other an O mint $20 that upgraded from AU50 to 58; those types of upgrades are few and far between now. And of course cac does a lot of gold stickers on coins with relatively small money jumps.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

While problem coins can certainly exist in any generation holder, and are likely to still be present in the older holders, every single fatty, OGH, and rattler I have (and personally selected) either came with a bean or got a bean when submitted..... So there must be 'some' older holder coins that are pretty good. As with any coin, one must evaluate and be selective. OP has a great eye as his bean rate shows.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

thefinn
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

The trend I am seeing on the 50 or so commemoratives I sent to CAC is that there is very little difference that a lower graded coin being stickered more likely than a higher grade coin. The set I sent in had coins graded MS65 or over with a MS64+ Lafayette, a MS64+ Sesqui, and an MS64+ Albany and a 1920 Pilgrim and a Missouri in MS64 the only exceptions. The breakdown:

MS 64 2 submitted/ 1 stickered
    MS 64+ --3 submitted/ 3 stickered
    MS 65 --28 submitted/ 16 stickered ( 1 gold)
    MS 65+ 1 submitted/ 1 stickered
    MS66 -- 17 submitted/ 11 stickered
    MS67 -- 3 submitted/ 3 stickered

It seems to me that MS 64's do very well as MS67'S. A lot of rejections seem to occur in MS65 and MS66. The keys that stickered, the Lafayette MS64+, Monroe MS65, and Hawaiian MS65. The Hudson, MS65 , the Spanish Trail MS65, the Missouri MS65 and MS64, Sesqui MS65 and MS64+, and Panama Pacific did not sticker. The only gold sticker was an MS65 1950 BTW.

The only conclusion I can make, excepting MS68 and above, is that higher priced, rarer coins are less likely to be stickered and that the grade is less important. Scratches, tics, or spots are treated harshly.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

The line on CAC is that over $1k, it becomes much harder to get a sticker.

I've sent in over 1,000 coins, mostly under that, but plenty over.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:
    The trend I am seeing on the 50 or so commemoratives I sent to CAC is that there is very little difference that a lower graded coin being stickered more likely than a higher grade coin. The set I sent in had coins graded MS65 or over with a MS64+ Lafayette, a MS64+ Sesqui, and an MS64+ Albany and a 1920 Pilgrim and a Missouri in MS64 the only exceptions. The breakdown:

MS 64 2 submitted/ 1 stickered
    MS 64+ --3 submitted/ 3 stickered
    MS 65 --28 submitted/ 16 stickered ( 1 gold)
    MS 65+ 1 submitted/ 1 stickered
    MS66 -- 17 submitted/ 11 stickered
    MS67 -- 3 submitted/ 3 stickered

It seems to me that MS 64's do very well as MS67'S. A lot of rejections seem to occur in MS65 and MS66. The keys that stickered, the Lafayette MS64+, Monroe MS65, and Hawaiian MS65. The Hudson, MS65 , the Spanish Trail MS65, the Missouri MS65 and MS64, Sesqui MS65 and MS64+, and Panama Pacific did not sticker. The only gold sticker was an MS65 1950 BTW.

The only conclusion I can make, excepting MS68 and above, is that higher priced, rarer coins are less likely to be stickered and that the grade is less important. Scratches, tics, or spots are treated harshly.

Maybe higher graded coins are not reviewed more harshly but there is simply more agreement on lower graded coins. There could be a few reasons for this. Maybe it is easier to grade lower coins. Lower graded coins may not be submitted over and over for possible upgrade and therefore sticker at a higher rate.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 62% is pretty damn good. My "success" rate is at 46% so far with only one Gold sticker.

Most of my coins didn't fail the grade as much as the (as John would tell me) "cleaned....long ago" standard CAC seems to have for circulated Bust material.

jom

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade dollar set: 18/18
    Seated dollar set: 47/48

Both were formed prior to CAC being established. The early dollar set required more compromises vs JA’s pet peeve of friction. It was something like 11/14 but isn’t apples to oranges because for the most part I bought them with or without the sticker already.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looked at the album link.

I especially like the Maine, Sesqui, Monroe, and Lafayette.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 1:56PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Trade dollar set: 18/18
    Seated dollar set: 47/48

Both were formed prior to CAC being established. The early dollar set required more compromises vs JA’s pet peeve of friction. It was something like 11/14 but isn’t apples to oranges because for the most part I bought them with or without the sticker already.

Your sets went through fine tuning before you were finally satisfied? Your early purchases were part of your learning curve as I recall. We all went through that. We never stop learning. Even JA never stops learning either.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:

My first time through with 12 coins came back with 10 Green and 2 Gold. People said I was lucky. I told them that I don't buy coins unless they are solid for the grade and don't have spots or unattractive toning. Not luck.

There are a heck of a lot of CAC coins with unattractive toning, IMO.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

There are a heck of a lot of CAC coins with unattractive toning, IMO.

CAC qualifies the coin and you make the final decision as to whether it's a "keeper!"

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

To determine how easy it is to get a CAC, look at the existing CAC populations compared to the PCGS and NGC populations. Walking Liberty half dollars are extremely tough in MS64. I submitted nine early dates and seven stickered. Of the two that did not sticker, one was a + and the other was cracked out to a plus and then stickered! An additional two that did not sticker were 1947 MS66s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file