Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DDO Lincoln?

scooter25scooter25 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭

Was getting ready to put some coins on eBay and was looking closer at this 69-S Lincoln and thought I saw doubling. Is this DDO-2? Or machine? I’m looking at the split sharif on the 6. Still trying to learn the differences. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2021 1:01PM

deleted... not sure on MD

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

Strike doubling ( machine doubling )

• Options

@SensibleSal66 said:
    Strike doubling ( machine doubling )

Oh come on!! 🤦🏻‍♂️ Thought I had one here finally. Even with the split at the bottom end of the six?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a good possibility would need to see more of the coin, not sure why that one does not get delisted. Variety Vista even notes that the date and MM are just MD, I have no idea if there is any premium attached to this one but I cannot imagine it would be very much.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Here's the diagram of the 1969S Lincoln DDO .

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

The bottom loop of the 6 does not look split to me - it looks sheared, as would happen with MD.

"Flat and shelflike" are indicators of MD and I see signs of that here.

• Options

Notice the strong Doubling .

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mechanical doubling. If it were a doubled die, the mint mark (which was added to the die later) would not show the same doubling.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine or mechanical doubling... Not a DDO. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are no split serifs in your pics.
    It is an example of machine doubling.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

MD

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Machine Doubling. Here is a bit larger presentation I got from CoinFacts. If your coin doesn't have the major doubling the print has then it's not likely the real deal. Always check this first and you will save a lot of disappointment.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I concur-classic machine doubling. You'll know the real deal if you ever find one.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your coin shows doubling on the S mintmark. On a 1969 S DDO the S is not doubled.

Your coin is strike or machine doubled. I bought a roll of MS 1969 S cents when I was a kid in the 1960's and 70's.

I opened the roll in 2003 and found 4 strike/machine doubled coins. A poor man's doubled die :/

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless your coin EXACTLY matches the images and die markers for the 1969-S DDO, it isn't. It's as simple as that.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think so scooter. :)

• Options
    edited March 21, 2021 9:14PM

I wonder if anyone besides myself even read the op's post . :D He is asking if this is DDO-002 not, __I repeat not__ DDO-001. You guys are so ready to answer you did not even read the question.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited March 22, 2021 3:22AM

@coinbuf said:
    I wonder if anyone besides myself even read the op's post . :D He is asking if this is DDO-002 not, __I repeat not__ DDO-001. You guys are so ready to answer you did not even read the question.

I didn't need to look up the DDO because the pics he provided indicate machine doubling. There is no split serif on the number 6 as he implies.

• Options

There is a DDO2 listed but does not match this coin.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2021 8:58AM

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    There is a DDO2 listed but does not match this coin.

Again you all are not taking the time to read, read the notes for the DDO-002 as provided by VV: "Machine Damage Doubling shows on date and Mintmark" And thanks for the photo but I dont need the lesson, you guys need to learn to read before posting. The photos the op has provided of the date strike doubling match very well to the photos at VV for DDO-002, but we need additional photos of the rest of the coin to say yes or no.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

The blurb on the curl of the 6 is not on the OP’s coin. Get off your soap box.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2021 10:18AM

No soapbox, just getting a great laugh out of how everyone made so many assumptions without even reading the post or knowing what was being asked. And then you jump in with your photos to teach me what I already know because I actually read the op post. Great comedy from the experts for a Monday AM, keep it up. :D

The only sad part is that the op got so much bad information to his question.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

The illustration was for the OP. I assumed you knew the difference. I did go to Variety Vista this morning before I replied. I viewed the pup’s for the DDO2. Why don’t you help the OP and post the pup’s that you think match his coin?

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I do not know or follow the 69-S DDO coins. I did not go to any site to look up diagnostics for them either. But my observation of the photos of the actual coin presented by the OP is that he has classic MD. I see no splits in the date/mintmark to indicate it is a DDO of any kind. I see flattened shelfs. So I will give my opinion similar to many others here that this is MD and not DD.

• Options

We all answered his question, is this DDO-2 or Machine Doubling? Machine Doubling.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    The illustration was for the OP. I assumed you knew the difference. I did go to Variety Vista this morning before I replied. I viewed the pup’s for the DDO2. Why don’t you help the OP and post the pup’s that you think match his coin?

As you quoted me and were responding to me its very difficult to think that you posted that photo for anyone other than me, but fine. If you take the time to read my very first reply what I said is:

" Its a good possibility __would need to see more of the coin__, not sure why that one does not get delisted. Variety Vista even notes that the date and MM are just MD, I have no idea if there is any premium attached to this one but I cannot imagine it would be very much."

So because everyone; including VV and myself; agree that the date and MM are MD and the op has yet to show any additional photos as I noted were needed I cannot yet match the pup's to his coin. If you truly viewed the photos from VV you know that DDO-002 is a very minor DDO and more than just the date and MM need to be seen to make a determination. The fact that the date and MM MD on his coin is a match to the date and MM MD in the photos on VV indicate that its possible he could have DDO-002, not that he does have it, just that its possible. More photos of the OP's coin are needed to make the call is all that I've said. However since the op was met with the overwhelming replies of no; its possible that he has not even been back to this thread. And unless he circles back and provides more photos we will never know for sure.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@Batman23 said:
    OK, I do not know or follow the 69-S DDO coins. I did not go to any site to look up diagnostics for them either. But my observation of the photos of the actual coin presented by the OP is that he has classic MD. I see no splits in the date/mintmark to indicate it is a DDO of any kind. I see flattened shelfs. So I will give my opinion similar to many others here that this is MD and not DD.

And this in a nutshell is the real problem, 99% of the time that would be the correct answer. Had everyone taken the time to look at VV first; and not assumed that the questions was automatically about DDO-001; then there would not be so much misinformation in this thread. This is that 1% of the time where the MD that is shown in the OP's photos could actually be used as a marker to identify this as the DDO it might be.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited March 22, 2021 7:34PM

@jesbroken said:
    We all answered his question, is this DDO-2 or Machine Doubling? Machine Doubling.
    Jim

Why is it then that you provided photos of DDO-001 when the OP's question is about DDO-002? That only serves to confuse the issue. And for the hundredth time the MD on the date and MM does not (in this case) disqualify it from being DDO-002, in fact it helps to confirm it.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

Look at the S.
    Jim

• Options

With better photos an argument could be made. But these look like MD.
    Jim

• Options

We don't need any additional photos to tell that it's machine doubling. If the Mint mark shows the same "doubling" as the date it's not hub doubled. It's machine doubled. Period.

• Options

Whoah fellas. It was just a simple question lol. It looked like the DDO-2 to me when I looked at it. I didn’t realize that if the mm was like that too then it was md. Now I’ve learned something new lol

• Options

This is a good place to learn things. If you've learned something new that's a GOOD thing!

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not DDO but still a cool find.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file