Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Watch collectors?

2»

Comments

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

And, with all those beautiful timepieces posted here, the is one brand missing, And finally, it is one of the oldest and most reliable watches from Switzerland...I believe that some models are guaranteed forever. (I believe also now owned by Rolex)
    **IWC **, made in Schaffhausen.
    Personally I am a Rolex guy since 1967.

@drwstr123 said:

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 8:44AM

@YQQ said:
    And, with all those beautiful timepieces posted here, the is one brand missing, And finally, it is one of the oldest and most reliable watches from Switzerland...I believe that some models are guaranteed forever. (I believe also now owned by Rolex)
    **IWC **, made in Schaffhausen.
    Personally I am a Rolex guy since 1967.

@drwstr123 said:

http://www.iwcpocketwatch.com/watches/pallweber/

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 12:19PM

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2021 12:19PM

NLH

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 10:58AM

I have a few but this one I gave myself for 10 years at the sugar water company is my usual wear, Runwell 47mm. Hometown Detroit represent! I do like some of the Omegas and Rolex (submariner), might get one of those soon.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 11:49AM

Since there seems to be interest in Omegas, here is my other one.
    It's a 70's model that I generally wear only occasionally.
    It was over $800 for the service, crystal, strap and fresh gold plating. (current value about $150 :# )
    These ones are hardly ever saved for that reason.

(This one has sentimental value)

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 2:06PM

Here are a few of my favorites, starting with a couple of my Bulova Accutrons. What I really like about these is the motion of the second hand. Since the movement is an electronic tuning fork movement, the watches hum instead of tick, and the second hand turns in a perfectly smooth motion.

1965 214 Spaceview:

1970 218 Deep Sea

Another really early electric watch is the Wittnauer Electro-Chron. They come in a few different styles and are really rare. This one is from 1962. I love the hands:

And one of my Omegas, a 1968 Constellation:

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    @bsshog40 said:
    Hey ricko, there's some stuff called polywatch. It's for polishing up crystals. It does a great job and would probably save you some good money replacing it. Just fyi my friend.

Will the polywatch get rid of slab scratches?

Probably, I have used it on plastic crystals with good results.

• Options

@cmerlo1 said:
    Here are a few of my favorites, starting with a couple of my Bulova Accutrons. What I really like about these is the motion of the second hand. Since the movement is an electronic tuning fork movement, the watches hum instead of tick, and the second hand turns in a perfectly smooth motion.

Nice!! Here's my 1974 Spaceview!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:

@cmerlo1 said:

Nice!! Here's my 1974 Spaceview!

Awesome!! I plan on adding a 'true' spaceview like yours to my collection someday- I don't have one with the chapter ring. The one I posted here is most likely a conversion.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

I've got well over 100 running pocket watches now- mostly American 16s railroad grade- got over a dozen each 992 Hamilons and Bunn Special Illinois (21 Jewel watches). One 23j Bunn Special, two 950b and one regular 950 23 Hamiltons, Several 23 jewel Waltham models, and of course quite a few 19 and 21 jewel Elgins. I think I have a 1/2 dozen 23J Illinois Sangamo Specials now too- they are beautiful watches. Lately started buying some Howards- 19 and 21 jewel RR models, still looking for a 23j Howard. Have a few wristwatches too- several nice Bulova Accutrons, 3 Omegas ( 1 Seamaster automatic and 1 Seamaster Turler Automatic - both vintage and a 1950's windup one). Hardly ever wear them except to coin shows. I see there is a show coming up in Ohio this year end of May .

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ranshdow Aaaaand we just solved the Zodiac case! :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2021 5:13PM

I’ve acquired a number over the years! Sadly most need repairs.

My dad bought this one for me for my high school graduation. He gave it to me right before and I wore it to get my diploma sans chain which I had made later. 1997

These are an accumulation belonging to my father, and grandfathers. The silver Hamilton at the top of the group photo and with it’s back off was my dads. I had it repaired but I’m sad because the top where a chain would go pops off so I’m unable to wear it for fear of losing it. It’s a 992 model I think, 21 jewel railroad. It was given to him by his father, my grandpa. The others are all broken but the smallest one is from the 1870’s and I’d like to get it repaired since it has the neat case with the original advertising still in it. The case is probably later.

Bulova Accutron Asymmetric that sadly isn’t working and I want it repaired because it’s my favorite wrist watch. Also my dads that he passed in to me.

And because why not :p;)@TomB @BustDMs

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options

A few of my watches , and to keep it coin related they do make some watch dials out of coins and some out of imitation coins! See below- the walking dial I believe is made out of a genuine walking half, but very thinly cut/turned on a lathe- so much so they add a brass re-inforcing plate to backside (note: not much silver left at all in these if you ever see them just buy for coolness factor!) I've owned a couple of them, but never running- they use a crap Miyota 2039 moverment but because they need an extra tall pinion for hands to pass through dial plate which is hard to find in other watches.
    The movement is cheap to buy- most come from China and I try not to do business there!. The gold imitation dial actually has a nice Bulova windup movement attached. Forgot about the 940 21j Hamilton's I have and also the 992b's-probably about 8 to 10 each. I also started collecting with Hampdens, can't believe I forgot them- have many 19 to 23 jewel models of them as well.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was probably the most fun one to get in person a few Xmas ago.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

The pocket watch I mentioned in this thread does not work. Can anyone recommend a repair outfit? I came across a couple doing a quick search online: Watch Repairs USA in IL and Renaissance Watch Repair in WA.

• Options

I'm a member of a facebook watch group and American Time Keeper (out of NY state) https://americantimekeeper.com/the-store and Paul Davis are always highlty recommended there https://www.p-awatchandclockrepairs.com/services . I've never used either (I have a local Amish repairman and do some COA myself. Heard lots of good things about both of the above. The Washinton state place I am leary of because when I had over 50 watches stolen about 5 years ago they were the one's who bought them from the thiefs and gave the police a hard time returning them.-thats another story.

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭

Father Time Antiques on Belmont Ave. in Chicago has experts on-site that do repairs. They may be great but I can't vouch for their business practices one way or the other. You can Google them for contact info.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a few from my collection, or more properly termed, "My accumulation" as I buy originally to wear and then add on as new ones peak my interest.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2021 9:54AM

My everyday and dress wear brought back from Cabo and Cozumel, respectively. No sales tax, slight discount over US pricing and the Cozumel purchase in 2018 offered an 8.9% Mexican tourism discount that was received three months after purchase! Just remember to buy only from a registered Rolex dealer and only bring back 1 watch per person. More than one and US Customs can take everything. I did not have to pay duty either time which I think was just for being honest about it.! I remember getting off the plane in Phoenix back from Cabo in 2006 and we were the only people on the whole plane to declare anything!

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40.... Wow.... I got that stuff...PolyWatch.... It is incredible. One application, rubbed for about three minutes or so... and totally clear....Looks like a new crystal....... Thanks for the tip... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @bsshog40.... Wow.... I got that stuff...PolyWatch.... It is incredible. One application, rubbed for about three minutes or so... and totally clear....Looks like a new crystal....... Thanks for the tip... Cheers, RickO

You are welcome my friend!

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

Was given my dad's Rolex but it didn't fit my style. Had it modified.

• Options
    BearlyHereBearlyHere Posts: 261 ✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @bsshog40 .... Thank you very much.... Looking at the picture I was wondering what was available, and really did not want the expense of sending it in for a new crystal. I will check it out. Cheers, RickO

I use these every couple of months as I hack up my crystal. Works great and cheap on Amazon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file