Home U.S. Coin Forum

Third stimulus check pending in my checking account. Will you use towards coin purchases?

Comments

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where did you buy the doge @kurisu

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Where did you buy the doge @kurisu

Binance

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...let me know how the ends taste fellas...I’m getting a little bored with all these center cuts ;)

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 3:22PM

No - Mainly just put it away for contingency. Only thing on tap - currency submission to Pcgs. About $160 spend there.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 10:06AM

No stimulus for me, I wish they had cost-of-living adjustments for people on the coasts. $100,000 in the Bay Area California it was more like $60,000 anywhere else.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 2:59PM

And the Greatest City in the History of this Earth .....

https://youtu.be/O3XxFiEUNoM

It's a Fact ..... The greatest City in the History of Mankind ....

https://youtu.be/NpVTP41Tpqc

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

California is the best place to live on earth.

I'd agree if I wasn't a gun owner here in the Bay Area.

• nagsnags Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@U1chicago said:

@kiyote said:
    No stimulus for me, I wish they had cost-of-living adjustments for people on the coasts. $100,000 in the Bay Area California it was more like $60,000 anywhere else.

Sounds like the real stimulus would be moving out of California like so many have done lately. ;)

California has a net increase in population.

California is the best place to live on earth.

Much more of an issue of who's leaving opposed to the number who are leaving.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:
    Some of you are too cranky for your own good.

Stimulus checks are not welfare. They are a tax rebate.

Stimulus checks are intended to stimulate the economy by providing consumers with some spending money. When taxpayers spend this money, it boosts consumption and drives revenues at retailers and manufacturers and thus spurs the economy.

I am thankful I do not qualify for the money but if I did, I’d use as intended. I hope OP gets the coins of his dreams.

You can call them "welfare" or "stimulus" or a "tax rebate", but it is still trillions in spending against an annual deficit that is already trillions. And much of that money goes to people who don't spend it because they don't need it,

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/20/economy/stimulus-checks-economic-impact/index.html

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

Stimulus checks are intended to stimulate the economy by providing consumers with some spending money. When taxpayers spend this money, it boosts consumption and drives revenues at retailers and manufacturers and thus spurs the economy.

I am thankful I do not qualify for the money but if I did, I’d use as intended. I hope OP gets the coins of his dreams.

I guess you can call it a tax rebate, or even a refundable tax credit. But really the only reason those terms are used is because it sounds better than just giving people money. You can have no tax liability and receive a stimulus check.

Similarly the definition "welfare" is also nebulous. Generally there is some aspect of need associated. Though as the stimulus checks are not given to those with higher income there is a very crude "need" differentiation.

Regardless, "borrowed money checks" doesn't have a very good ring to it.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    Mine just showed up and it just so happens today is the day my commuter (sport touring motorcycle) goes in for the annual tune up as we get to Springtime...the weekend blizzard's snow is already basically gone here in Denver.

This time though I'm changing my gearing a smidge...because 0-60 in 2.2 seconds is just a tiny bit sluggish.

Hope you have a will....... :#

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@Kurisu said:
    Mine just showed up and it just so happens today is the day my commuter (sport touring motorcycle) goes in for the annual tune up as we get to Springtime...the weekend blizzard's snow is already basically gone here in Denver.

This time though I'm changing my gearing a smidge...because 0-60 in 2.2 seconds is just a tiny bit sluggish.

...and are an organ donor.

• yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I said... took 250 years to get to $5T in debt. We have added $25T added since 9-11

$8T fighting endless wars
    $8T for corporate and bank Bailouts
    $2T for Trump Tax cuts

Generally opposed to them, but I have no issue giving it to those in need or those who will spend.

Get what you can get.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

@Catbert said:

@Kurisu said:

I do :blush: But I've also been on bikes since the early 80's...Helmet and protection always!
    The stats say that if you've been riding for 10 years or more (36 years for me) without an accident your chances of ever being in one go down dramatically...because you theoretically become a different kind of rider.

That being said...there are some rules I have literally NEVER broken... You pay attention 100% of the time, 100%! You don't give other people or the road the chance...you ALWAYS assume it's going to be someone else's fault and watch for it. I know where you're looking and where you're going! You do nothing with a blind spot in front or behind you. Never ever ever tailgate or stop to close behind someone with no way of escape. You always ride within your limits and skills as they improve.

You should never start learning on a very fast bike, a scooter is even better! You have to respect the power...If I'm not paying attention for just a moment I have the ability to literally outrun my thoughts...if your mind is behind you it's too late to fix a dangerous error! I have well over 100hp in one wheel under my butt with only an extra 400 something pounds...and I can fully stop the bike unbelievably fast with just my pinky on the front brake!

Know the physics of a bike, this is huge especially as you become truly skilled! Sometimes the way out is the throttle, not the brake. Every ride should be training to be better!

Knock on wood...I've only gone down twice in my life both times well over 25 years ago, once from a blown front tire and once because someone came out of a driveway really fast onto a 45mph street with no lights on at night right in front of me, a helmet saved my life that time but I did have some time to react because of how I've ridden since being a teen and so I only got a dislocated shoulder as my helmet hit my shoulder and then the pavement. I could go on and on but getting proper training and not EVER risking OTHER people's lives plays a huge part as well.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

@jmlanzaf said:

@Catbert said:

@Kurisu said:

...and are an organ donor.

LOL! I appreciate...the well wishes?!!
    And yes, I've always been listed as an organ donor...my Mom helped a couple people out when she passed a handful of years ago...our family is filled with medical and EMT so yeah...everyone should be a donor!!! I'm also a life long blood donor!

Coins are Neato!

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

And off the rails she went but good try, GB! It was a noble effort to find out how the money was going to be used, hopefully on coins!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

Also, what about the ultra-rich who don’t pay their fair share of taxes? The Government loses hundreds of billions of dollars in revenue, every year, to them.

These people are the ones that hire thousands of Americans, who in turn pay payroll taxes. They also take huge risks with venture capital. I respect and look up to them. If they are not paying taxes, they hire damn good CPA's who know tax law.

Not to mention billions and billions lost? This government deals in trillions now.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

Call it what you want but it's your debt disguised as a gift.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe by the time the fifth stimulus payments are released those that have been left out will get included.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not getting a stimulus check, but I do hope they continue to be given out.

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be OT, but has anyone received their stimulus check in a Bank of America account? I've been checking my Mom's online account since yesterday and no direct deposit yet. The Govt stated 90 million deposits were made and Chase and Wells Fargo posted theirs yesterday. She's 85 on SS, and no computer. She got the first 2 direct deposited. Not sure if I need to start an inquiry if this doesn't hit tomorrow.

Thanks for any feedback. BTW, she'll be spending hers on medicine and food. $1,600 is not a lot to live on today after working almost 40 years.

PS
    :) We should post a coin for every comment to keep it relevant :)
    :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 4:20PM

I bought this last night, I have money left over yet for some sliver. I need some so my kids can pay all of this debt off years from now.....

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dscoin said:

I bought this last night, I have money left over yet for some sliver. I need some so my kids can pay all of this debt off years from now.....

Noice, glad you got the gold before the journey over to the gutter. Good Luck, I'm optimistic your children will be just fine.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

@BryceM said:
    The idea of a stimulus check is a bit offensive to some of us who are opposed on ideological grounds and who aren't getting one. A thread about how people are going to spend government collected tax dollars on luxury items rubs me the wrong way.

If the government really wants to stimulate the economy, why not stop taking so much in taxes? Same thing right? Too political? I can't see how this doesn't end badly for our country, and it's a game that has been played by members of both major political parties. Shame on all of us for putting those idiots in Washington.

If any of us tried to run our families or our businesses this way they run this country we'd be bankrupt by the end of the year. If it doesn't work on a micro scale, why should it work on a macro level?

Good point

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dscoin said:

That will come in handy when the country goes belly up :)

• In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 4:37PM

I was going to upgrade my twin turbo 6 speed 3000GT, but going to just give the stimulus away in tips to the local businesses. I have been retired for 10 years, but my money is working. Cheers.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    The idea of a stimulus check is a bit offensive to some of us who are opposed on ideological grounds and who aren't getting one. A thread about how people are going to spend government collected tax dollars on luxury items rubs me the wrong way.

If the government really wants to stimulate the economy, why not stop taking so much in taxes? Same thing right? Too political? I can't see how this doesn't end badly for our country, and it's a game that has been played by members of both major political parties. Shame on all of us for putting those idiots in Washington.

If any of us tried to run our families or our businesses this way they run this country we'd be bankrupt by the end of the year. If it doesn't work on a micro scale, why should it work on a macro level?

I’m in agreement with most of this. I don’t think we should be spending so much on these stimulus plans, but all I can control is what I do with mine. I try to use mine to better my life and my situation. Better get in as good of a position as you can with the inflation coming.

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 5:40PM

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2021 4:39PM

@BryceM said:

Because the government can print money and issue bonds, while your family can't?

For the record, I'd prefer that the government operated with a balanced budget and fiscal accountability, but I'm not all gloom and doom about the fact that they don't. I'm much more worried about the erosion of the US's manufacturing base. YMMV.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@BryceM said:

I’m in agreement with most of this. I don’t think we should be spending so much on these stimulus plans, but all I can control is what I do with mine. I try to use mine to better my life and my situation. Better get in as good of a position as you can with the inflation coming.

Not entirely true. You can vote and you can influence those around you to make wise, long-term decisions when they vote. You can also run for public office. We sure as shootin' need good people there. Almost nobody does run, and those who do often loose the principles they brought with them rather quickly.

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I would rather not receive something than see it used for any purpose not intended.

It's intended purpose was to stimulate the economy via consumer spending.
    What about purchasing a coin isn't consumer spending?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will just agree to disagree on whether spending a stimulus check on coins was remotely contemplated as viable consumer spending as part of resurrecting the economy.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

@Catbert said:
    I hate threads on my hobby board that devolve into politics and virtue signaling.

I know. I could have not opened the thread. My displeasure is my own fault, I guess.

You are correct,
    my last post here,
    let's go to an interesting 'coin' thread :)

HALF DOLLAR TAKEN FROM MOSEBY THE GUERRILLA
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1054138/half-dollar-taken-from-moseby-the-guerrilla#latest

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I will just agree to disagree on whether spending a stimulus check on coins was remotely contemplated as viable consumer spending as part of resurrecting the economy.

Think of it this way. Most coin dealers are small, independent businesses where the owner doesn't have another job to get by. And with no shows, unless that dealer has a website, and even still, s/he may not be earning as much as pre-COVID.

I don't see why giving that dealer some extra business, and that dealer spending those earnings into the real economy (think food purchases, or supplies) isn't a valid economic purpose with the stimulus.

Now, the OP talked about a purchase from the US Mint. THAT may not be a good use of the stim.

Just like a lot of people here who's retirement money is working for them...these stimuli will work for us too. My brother is on the board of a bank, he's a truly good dude...if we can get rid of some ancient and unfairly grown too large student loans and basically provide income for those who it helps the most and some other things etc etc... :blush:

Properly taxing the hugely wealthy appropriately as well as the massive corporations will keep things normal and quickly take care of those trillions of dollars...as will a more rapidly growing and evolving economy!

There are a lot of people who understand waaaay more than me about banking and economies world-wide (like my brother) who agree that we could basically double this $5T to give those who need it more in order to encourage better lives, better health, and more opportunities and it will absolutely pay off for our economy in the long run and the short run as well...

Even Universal basic income has it's pros and cons too but it's generally agreed that it seems to encourage people to work more not less, same goes for getting a better education and creating businesses and that whole paying taxes thingy...

Also here's a coin as suggested :smiley:@1630Boston

Coins are Neato!

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought a lot of you guys getting stimulus checks were way too loaded to get one. My surprise.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I thought a lot of you guys getting stimulus checks were way too loaded to get one. My surprise.

Sniff sniff, it appears even us low class peons visit the PCGS message boards. #stimmy Semper Fi!!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    And the Greatest City in the History of this Earth .....

https://youtu.be/O3XxFiEUNoM

It's a Fact ..... The greatest City in the History of Mankind ....

https://youtu.be/NpVTP41Tpqc

Er, you mean, Houston?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
This discussion has been closed.