Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Did I sell too early? You be the judge...

Stumbled across an ebay listing of a Mike Trout 2009 Bowman Sterling Auto and it brought back some bad memories...

What was a sale you look back and makes you hate yourself? haha

Frank Thomas collector

Comments

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2021 6:28PM

Oh man, too many to count.

Selling 1989 Score Football boxes for $40 each 3 years ago?

Selling a 1986 Jordan rookie for $800 to buy a stereo for college in 1989? (I sold off a LOT of '86 Fleer basketball between 1989 and 1992.)

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Around 2013...'54 aaron BVG 4.5 centered, sold $600, really cool slight rough cut along the right edge.
    To pay a garage bill,
    Yeah I'll easily upgrade to a 6 someday...still waiting; ridiculous

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

1989 UD Griffey PSA 10 a year or so ago for $250.
    1984 Marino PSA 9 last year for $125
    1967 Seaver PSA 8.5 for $2800
    1975 Brett RC PSA 9 for $1800 a few years back
    1975 Yount RC PSA 9 for about $900 a few years back

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

• Options

Magic/Bird PSA 9 about 10 years ago... uggh

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2021 7:06PM

Gotta be 86 jordans and 2000 contenders Brady’s, probably sold 1/2 mill less than current value. But I I still have many more / not as valuable but way more than I paid lol
    uggh is right.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may regret not selling my Jordans 8 weeks ago! Lol.

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    Gotta be 86 jordans and 2000 contenders Brady’s, probably sold 1/2 mill less than current value. But I I still have many more / not as valuable but way more than I paid lol
    uggh is right.

I feel your pain. My count is at $2 million lol

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭

@pootshwan said:
    Stumbled across an ebay listing of a Mike Trout 2009 Bowman Sterling Auto and it brought back some bad memories...

What was a sale you look back and makes you hate yourself? haha

I was just talking about this with my wife, who could care less. I pointed out that I have a card that is on fire right now. It is selling in the $25-30K+ range and is far and away the best card I have. It's graded, which is a rarity for me. I don't usually buy them unless the price is the same, graded or not. I bought this card a very long time ago for a fraction of what they are selling for now, but I love the card and it is a cornerstone to my collection.

I am tempted to try to sell it, but i am sure I won't. That is a lot of money, but I don't need it converted into cash at this time.
    I have always collected for the fun of it, not the intention of future profit. I do think about what if I am leaving future money on the table if I did sell it. The card market is insane right now, but this is a card that does have possibility to continue trending upward. i don't sell much at all and never anything I would have considered a good item in my collection.

The point I am working towards is that if you are regularly selling cards in general, odds are good this will happen now and again, as will the opposite where you have a card that may rise in value, maybe you even bought high, then it tanks for good.

You probably thought $26 was a great sale at the time. I was not focused on Mike Trout ever, so I have no clue what kind of trajectory his cards had. He must have broken out after being a lesser prospect to start with, given the number of "I should have waited" stories I have seen. i assume there were a handful of next great platers ahead of him? Can anyone confirm this and maybe recall who? I bet those names bring back the other side of this story, the I got left holding the bag on a super prospect that fizzled type of story!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭

Sold a PSA 10 Jerry Rice rookie for $3500....last sale on Ebay $125,000 uugghh

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

sold a Usain Bolt SIFK dime for $600 last fall and that exact card (it's a pop 2) was flipped for north of 21k last week

• Options
    Bdal231Bdal231 Posts: 20 ✭✭✭

I have many cards I sold too early but selling my Mike Trout rookie cards 8 years ago have caused remorse. It was a very large collection worth enough today that I would have been able to retire
    I sold a Tom Brady Contenders rookie auto bgs 8.5 for far less than it’s worth now. I could keep going and going too.
    My boxes are filled with failed prospects I held too long and didn’t sell.
    When I look at my collection now it is worth much more than I Ever payed for it.
    So I don’t dwell on past decisions although it would be nice to have the house paid off, a second story addition, and be retired to buy cards all day.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three 1981 Topps BBCE wrapped basketball wax boxes, 1988 Fleer basketball wax box, PSA 9 1996 Topps Chrome Kobe Bryant, quite a few unopened football boxes and many other items. We all have sold things too early.

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 553 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2021 7:46AM

I've sold a Jeter SP PSA 9 back in 2016 for $1,600. I did buy it for $1,100 in 2014 so it wasn't horrible but considering what they go for today (25K). I was smart enough to pick up another copy in 2017 for $3,100 as I knew the potential value and that one I still have so it still worked out well but it would have been nice to have two copies :)

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i can't believe i didn't get 2056 money when i sold in 1956.

yes, i sold too soon.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2021 8:43AM

At one point back around 87-88 I had a 9-pocket card page with nine MJ ‘86 Fleer #57’s on one side and nine of his ‘86 Stickers on the other that I eventually sold off all but one of each to one of my HS shop teachers for god only knows how much. I’m actually kind of glad I don’t remember the prices and I try to justify the sales by believing that in today’s market they’d all be very low grade lol. He also ended up with a ton of my ‘89 UD Griffey ‘s & ‘89 Score Barry Sanders too.

But for worst sale that I remember definitely has to be selling off my Brady 2000 Contenders PSA 9 RC for $300 back around 2003-04ish with the intent to replace with a BGS 9 to match the rest of my Brady collection. Soon after I eventually took a break from the hobby that lasted until 2017 and at that point finding a replacement was a pipe dream.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2021 9:50AM

I stopped counting and thinking about it when the “alternate universe” profit had I held crossed the 2 million dollar mark. This post being the exception since then ;) Now back to zen.

• Options
    pootshwanpootshwan Posts: 85 ✭✭

@gemint said:
    1989 UD Griffey PSA 10 a year or so ago for $250.
    1984 Marino PSA 9 last year for $125
    1967 Seaver PSA 8.5 for $2800
    1975 Brett RC PSA 9 for $1800 a few years back
    1975 Yount RC PSA 9 for about $900 a few years back

Those are the ones off the top of my head.

Amazing the price increases we've seen in just this past year...

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

@Dgofwinter said:
    Magic/Bird PSA 9 about 10 years ago... uggh

That's a card I've always put off getting and now it's outside of what I'm willing to pay.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2021 2:08PM

@addicted2ebay said:
    uggh is right.

wow...well I guess I can't feel too bad.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't caught up in sellers remorse. I sold a portion of my collection 2.5 years ago and it helped me upgrade my home. That sell of now would have netted 5 to 10 times.

A half year ago I sold another portion of my collection and it helped me upgrade to a nicer bass boat. My next big sell off will help me buy a nicer truck to pull it. Lol.

FYI My biggest regret was selling my 1970 340 Cuda in 1994 for $2,500 when my Son was a newborn. My buddy reminded me the other day he saw one sell for 40K that wasn't near as nice as mine. It's okay maybe one day I can buy a Hellcat!!!!! >:)

I sound like a broken record but what's been killing me if finding cards to rip. I love the thrill of ripping cards and now they are impossible to find at reasonable prices. Unfortunately it's pushing me right out of the hobby!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

No regrets. Sold a HOF hockey collection that is up 10x, including a 8 opc Gretz that looked like a 9. Would love to have that card back and all the other beauties but at the time needed the money for a move that turned out to be a huge win for the family.

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

The common thread here seems to be that most people don't have major regrets, which is great.

A stock broker once told me: Set a price target for your stocks were you'd be happy with the profit you'd make. Then sell at that level and never look back. That way you'll always be happy.

Easier said than done in some cases, but good advice.

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭

I sold the Tout Bowman Draft Printing Plate 1/1 and a base auto both for $100 when it first came out.
    I don't even want to know how much the Trout printing plate is worth today...sigh.....

But what I do know is that I will not be letting go of my

Juan Soto RC Update Black 8/67
    and
    Juan Soto RC Salute Gold 8/50

anytime soon.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

unless something unforeseen has happened in the past 3 days to anyone who has contributed to this thread, we're all still alive, hopefully healthy, and enjoying the fruits of life

you'd never be able to recoup enough clams to supplant that

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

I - more - have some regrets about a few things I didn't buy when I could've made it work that are now out of my grasp entirely.

On selling?

I believe it was Tim aka grote15 who said Mike hasn't sold anything since the Carter administration.

Mike
  • Options

@Cakes said:
    Don't caught up in sellers remorse. I sold a portion of my collection 2.5 years ago and it helped me upgrade my home. That sell of now would have netted 5 to 10 times.

A half year ago I sold another portion of my collection and it helped me upgrade to a nicer bass boat. My next big sell off will help me buy a nicer truck to pull it. Lol.

FYI My biggest regret was selling my 1970 340 Cuda in 1994 for $2,500 when my Son was a newborn. My buddy reminded me the other day he saw one sell for 40K that wasn't near as nice as mine. It's okay maybe one day I can buy a Hellcat!!!!! >:)

I sound like a broken record but what's been killing me if finding cards to rip. I love the thrill of ripping cards and now they are impossible to find at reasonable prices. Unfortunately it's pushing me right out of the hobby!

Yea, well you put the money to good use. You had a plan, I just sold it and have no idea what that money went towards. lol

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sold an 1984 Dan Marino PSA 10 a couple of years ago for $1150.00. they had been totally stagnant for a long time before that.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Sold an 1984 Dan Marino PSA 10 a couple of years ago for $1150.00. they had been totally stagnant for a long time before that.

Yes, so were the Elways. All the 80's stuff has seen a nice price bump.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I don't wanna...talk about it....

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

so last 6 months - psa 9 2009 topps chrome curry refractor ~$20k in oct and psa 10 2009 topps chrome curry in dec ~$24k

yup sold early....lol

not to mention 2009 chrome harden psa 10 $7k

2008 lebron topps chrome refractor psa 10 6k, 2008 topps chrome kobe lebron refractors psa 9 - 3k....

and on and on...

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭

Since you had to pick the scab... Sold a 63 rose PSA 8.5 for $4500

PackManInNC
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

@Willymac said:
    so last 6 months - psa 9 2009 topps chrome curry refractor ~$20k in oct and psa 10 2009 topps chrome curry in dec ~$24k

yup sold early....lol

not to mention 2009 chrome harden psa 10 $7k

2008 lebron topps chrome refractor psa 10 6k, 2008 topps chrome kobe lebron refractors psa 9 - 3k....

and on and on...

Ouch!

• Options
    edited March 16, 2021 3:51PM

@mexpo75 said:
    Since you had to pick the scab... Sold a 63 rose PSA 8.5 for $4500

I sold a Rose 8.5 psa for 11k / guys like us need a support group lol / if you have a vcp subscription check the 2/24/16 sale then check the 5/12/16 sale / I also dropped a couple grand trying to bump it to a 9!

• Options
    WillymacWillymac Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

this is the support group

• Options

@Willymac said:
    this is the support group

Exactly! We all talk about the mishaps and it's easier to live with ourselves knowing others are feeling the same way. hah

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2021 5:46PM

If you buy and sell cards it’s gonna be like the stock market. You can’t time it perfectly. I do both and get much more enjoyment from the cards for sure.

• Options

Biggest regrets to date:
    1. Moved in 1968 when I was 16. Had my shoe box of baseball and football cards (started collecting in the 60s so I'm sure I had some Mays, Aarons, Clementes, Mantles, and plenty of stiffs). Probably in okay condition cuz I always took good care of my stuff. Well I took plenty of my crap to the new house but the box of cards got tossed. Damn!
    2. In 1988 I bought one wax box of 1988 Fleer Basketball for $12 (could have bought more) and sold them at a town fair for $1.50 per pack. Made a $42 profit. Yipeee. A box sold last week on eBay for 10K+. Ouch!

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    If you buy and sell cards it’s gonna be like the stock market. You can’t time it perfectly. I do both and get much more enjoyment from the cards for sure.

Yea, I can see the similarities there.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve told the story before but local TG&Y was blowing out unsold 86 Fleer BKB for $5 a box. They had towers of them - several cases. We bought 87 Donruss instead chasing McGwire.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sold my 1955 Topps set PSA 6/7 back in 2009. I turned a nice profit then, but could’ve made a killing today. Lots of HOF rookies that I let go of too early as well. Oh well, what can ya do? The pleasure of collecting and thumbing through the cards had a value to me, so it was worth it in the end.

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    I’ve told the story before but local TG&Y was blowing out unsold 86 Fleer BKB for $5 a box. They had towers of them - several cases. We bought 87 Donruss instead chasing McGwire.

What year was this, if you don't mind me asking?

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

I know, I usually don't it's just hard when you stumble upon the card on ebay.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pootshwan said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

What year was this, if you don't mind me asking?

Early summer 1987.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@Instanttang77 said:
    1989 donruss factory set $12 a year ago, now it’s worth $15. This is why I don’t sell anything anymore.

sold a 1989 jim abbott ud psa 10 last year for $15 and now 4SC is getting $100. my favorite player, thinking about starting a registry set with psa. I’ll b the first.

• Options

@Instanttang77 said:
    1989 donruss factory set $12 a year ago, now it’s worth $15. This is why I don’t sell anything anymore.

haha, nice. I would like to say they are actually selling at around ~$30 with shipping these days. B)

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

@addicted2ebay said:

@Instanttang77 said:

sold a 1989 jim abbott ud psa 10 last year for $15 and now 4SC is getting $100. my favorite player, thinking about starting a registry set with psa. I’ll b the first.

Would be a great one to start imo. Amazing what that man accomplished.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options

@1966CUDA said:
    Sold a PSA 10 Jerry Rice rookie for $3500....last sale on Ebay $125,000 uugghh

Wow. Those have finally "blown up" as I thought they would eventually. I could not have predicted these prices, however.

Frank Thomas collector
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Instanttang77 said:

Solid POTM candidate.