Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Lincoln Cent NT or AT?

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at this raw coin.

Any opinions from the toning experts?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Just wondering.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

Interesting look so I went ahead and took a shot.

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT - Reminds me of one I have with a similar looking splotchy toning and it came from a proof set.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yuck. NT.
    Lance.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

MA....but I doubt NT.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

Just wondering.

That side looks NT, as well.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like T to me ;) Tarnish is tarnish.... The big difference is how much of a premium the tarnish collectors will pay... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited March 15, 2021 7:48AM

Also bought a second example.

Modest premiums at best.

Don't think I will lose much at end of the day after I flip the silver.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Looks like T to me ;) Tarnish is tarnish.... The big difference is how much of a premium the tarnish collectors will pay... Cheers, RickO

Does this get old for you? I mean, obviously not.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101.... Not at all....And it never seems to get old for those who worship tarnish. It is environmental damage and I refuse to call it anything else. Reality bites. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2021 12:45PM

@ricko said:
    @jerseycat101.... Not at all....And it never seems to get old for those who worship tarnish. It is environmental damage and I refuse to call it anything else. Reality bites. Cheers, RickO

I am quite confident that your comments annoy others, they just aren't as motivated to mention it as I am, haha.

I think we all agree that toning is a form of environmental damage to some degree. We just don't feel the need to mention it on every toned coin thread.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseycat101 said:
    I am quite confident that your comments annoy others, they just aren't as motivated to mention it as I am, haha.

Lol. Welcome to the coin forum of PCGS.
    We all need thick skin around here. ;)
    After all, just one person's opinion vs. another.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like NT.

• Options
    Southside7Southside7 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

Interesting comments about environmental damage / toning!

I have a cure! But first....

Regardless of anyone's opinion or stance....what's most important and valuable (interpersonally, where it really counts) is that collectors collect what they truly enjoy acquiring and admiring as opposed to what others tell them they should. In my humble opinion holders, grades, designations and certainly stickers should be secondary to what an individual simply enjoys about any given numismatic treasure. Furthermore, even though we may disagree with others opinions, as fellow collectors it's likely beneficial to support our fellow passionate collectors as any genuinely passionate (not greed based) collector is an asset to the hobby!

Yes, toning is environmental damage -but also- yes, it can be very beautiful and as such, to those that enjoy it it has value. Furthermore it gives more interpersonal value to non tarnished coins to those that prefer them. It's all good for everyone. Gives us all something to chase!

Personally I enjoy supporting any passionate collector in what it is "they" enjoy, as long as they're true to their own passion and not a slave to external validation or financial greed.

That said....I know exactly where to market my absolutely tarnish free treasures! :)

Now......in the spirit of being pro-active and uniting collectors I'm introducing a new genre of coin....the "half-toner" (HT) -or- "half-destroyed" (HD) depending on your passion -and- the proper holder for either coin lover. YES, that's right gang...a coin genre and viewing apparatus that pleases all! Below is a full coin image of my first acquisition which also happens to be the exponentially rare 1879 "Half Missing "I", FUBAR LIBERTY, nothing lines up" (HMIFLNLU Die 1) variety Morgan Dollar!

I've also created the reversible "HT" / "HD" coin holder (images below) so the proper view is exposed according to the viewers preference! In fact the holder can be rotated to 90° for those that like both tarnished/toned and not tarnished/non toned numismatic treasures. An additional benefit to the 90° rotation is, as with this coin, it displays this one of a kind rare HMIFLNLU variety perfectly! As a side note: Instead of the holders being plain 'ol 2" x 2"'s (boooo-ring) I've made then the completely useless size of 3.163" x 3.163" so I can begin a business of 3.163" storage boxes and albums. Yes, brilliant, I know. Dealership inquiries welcome. ;)

• Options

I actually like blast white.

Kinda look at toners as coin rescue.

Buy it, grade it, get a TV, enjoy it, and pass it down the road to a collector.

Hopefully break even or pocket a few bucks.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file