Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FH Standing Liberty Quarter AU58 vs MS68+

BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which has the better Full Head?

AU58

MS68+

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they look the same. I like the AU58 tone better than the monster 68+(unless someone is giving me either for free). lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lighting and tone tends to make the AU coin look sharper in these photos, in hand under the same light it could be a different story.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    bfjohnsonbfjohnson Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

From photos I think the au has a better strike.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    An even better question might be: "Is the MS-68+ really worth the huge price premium when an AU58 of that quality is available?"

They aren't available as I added the last coin to my "AU64 UFH" set on July 5, 2012 and I still look daily.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 has better head details IMO.

• Options

Damn-I didn't mean to shout!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 6:15PM

It's pretty close but, overall, I must say the AU 58,

The original, pristine surfaces of the MS 68+ are spectacular, though.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 6:12PM

Shields crests aren’t nearly as close, nice coins

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call! Each coin has its merits. I do want to say the MS-68 has the better detail, masked by toning and faded luster.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I think the AU has the better FH detail. However, the 68 seems to have a bit better shield detail (in the center at least) from what I can tell from the photos. I like the 68 better due to the eye appeal from the toning.

jom

• Options

To me a full head doesn't mean much without a corresponding full shield.

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The AU58 is a strong coin. The toning on the 68 plus turns me off. On the FH, it’s pretty close to a dead heat.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a little confused by the grade on the 68+ coin until I saw the more flattering photo on CoinFacts.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

1920 D PCGS MS68+FH CAC, sold for $211,500 in August 2012 at Stack's. I think the Stack's images are a little nicer but... $211,500 buys a lot of nice coins.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-30BC7/1920-d-standing-liberty-quarter-ms-68-fh-pcgs-cac-secure-holder

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are nice coins. I'll take the 58. The 68+ is over graded in my opinion. The 58 has a little better strike.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 58 'appears' to have a better FH... However, from what we know about photographic lighting, I cannot say for sure.... Such coins should be evaluated in hand.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭

The 68+ coin has weak detail in other places and while maybe technical 68+ plastic it sure doesn't justify a 200k price tag. I like the AU 58 coin better overall which displays nearly full complete detail as intended.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1946Hamm said:
    Both are nice coins. I'll take the 58. The 68+ is over graded in my opinion. The 58 has a little better strike.

This is my opinion also. Regardless of the usual strike, on a 68, I'd expect a fully struck coin which I do not see.

• Options
    TheMayorTheMayor Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they are both great and rare coins. To answer @Broadstruck's original question, the hair in the front of the head (in front of the leaves) is more well defined on the 68+ IMO but in the back of the head, I think I would actually give the nod to the 58. It is very close. If you are looking for a nice 1920 D example, I don't think anyone would deny that the 58 offers more value but not everyone is a value shopper.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

I'd prefer the MS68 but this is exactly why the Standing Liberty Quarter is a tough series. Honestly there's better buys in the Saint series and in the WLH series.

• Options

I believe the AU has a little more head detail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file