Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bob Simpson's Territorial Gold Coins

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 5, 2021 5:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

1851 $50 Humbert Slug - by Augustus Humbert - Kagin-4 - R5 - PCGS MS61 POP 6/2 - Ex. Bob Simpson

Simpson is often known for his gold coins and patterns so I was surprised to see pioneer gold in his collection. It's nice to see that Simpson, along with Eliasberg, Hansen and others all appreciate and collect these coins from our country's formative years.

This coin was sold this past Jan for just $150K, almost 50% off the PCGS Price Guide Price of $285K.

Did someone get an amazing deal?

Comments

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin to me and the price does seem low. There is noticeable "clutter" in the fields but the coin doesn't look "processed" like so many others.

• Options
    edited March 5, 2021 5:56AM

1855 $50 Wass Molitor Slug - by Samuel Wass and Agoston Molitor - Kagin-9 - R5 - PCGS MS61 POP 1/1 - Ex. James Newton Howard, Bob Simpson

Here's one that sold for $216K closer to the PCGS Price Guide price of $225K.

This one is now in the Palisades Collection.

I wonder how much territorial gold can be absorbed at once and if this impacted the price of the coin above.

This was previously owned by James Newton Howard and the following is from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Newton_Howard

James Newton Howard (born June 9, 1951) is an American composer, conductor, and music producer. He has scored over 100 films and is the recipient of a Grammy Award, Emmy Award, and eight Academy Award nominations. His film scores include Pretty Woman (1990), The Fugitive (1993), Space Jam (1996), King Kong (2005), The Dark Knight (2008) and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (2016). He has collaborated extensively with directors M. Night Shyamalan and Francis Lawrence, having scored nine of Shyamalan's films since The Sixth Sense and all of Lawrence's films since I Am Legend, including the Hunger Games series.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice and historical gold coin.... and a seemingly bargain price. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that it matters, but I like the first so much better.....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2021 8:05AM

Looks like a lovely coin to me. There are so few recent sales that I would not place much emphasis on the price guide. There’s an NGC 61 one that sold for $117k one year ago and a PCGS/CAC 58 that sold for $152k so the price doesn’t look out of line to me. I was once told by a prominent gold dealer that there might be two people who can grade territorials correctly and neither works for a TPG or CAC.

• Options
    PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

No stickas.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thin market equals wide price swings.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

One thing I know, If I had the money, I would pay a lot more for this coin than the MS-68 SLQ from the other active thread which I understand last sold for $211K.

• Options

I'll never own a $50 slug but it's conceivable I might convince myself to buy a nice far more common AU-58 $20.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:
    Looks like a lovely coin to me. There are so few recent sales that I would not place much emphasis on the price guide. There’s an NGC 61 one that sold for $117k one year ago and a PCGS/CAC 58 that sold for $152k so the price doesn’t look out of line to me. I was once told by a prominent gold dealer that there might be two people who can grade territorials correctly and neither works for a TPG or CAC.

IF only two people can grade Territorials correctly...are they truly correct?

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@skier07 said:

IF only two people can grade Territorials correctly...are they truly correct?

Only when they agree ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file