Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

(ANOTHER ONE COMING?) welp. that pricing increase happened! (AGAIN)

Comments

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Do raw cards take a hit? Seems less likely that someone will take a flyer on a $10 raw to send in for grading at $50 instead of the old $20. Or maybe the raw prices increase? As more people are priced out of submitting or buying graded (assuming slabbed prices go up as a result of the grading price increase), maybe there will be more competition for better looking raw cards...

Jim

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is anything new or crazy happening to the coin side of this company?

• Options
    Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

The reality is, PSA is destroying the market for anything other than modern 9s and 10s. Some vintage at lower grades will be in, too. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

As a football collector, with a few exceptions, unless it's a sure 10 (and nothing is a sure 10), it'll be pointless to send in almost anything from the last 20 years. I have a complete 1959 set I wanted to get entirely graded - now that's out. No reason to send in commons that might be $60 cards.

Someone said low-grade cards on Ebay will disappear. I agree.

As with most things, the rich will be able to afford to grade cards, which will make the cards more valuable and in turn make the owners even richer, while less well-off collectors will be relegated to ungraded.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Copyboy1 said:
    The reality is, PSA is destroying the market for anything other than modern 9s and 10s. Some vintage at lower grades will be in, too. Otherwise, it's not worth it.

As a football collector, with a few exceptions, unless it's a sure 10 (and nothing is a sure 10), it'll be pointless to send in almost anything from the last 20 years. I have a complete 1959 set I wanted to get entirely graded - now that's out. No reason to send in commons that might be $60 cards.

As with most things, the rich will be able to afford to grade cards, which will make the cards more valuable and in turn make the owners even richer, while less well-off collectors will be relegated to ungraded.

Have you ever asked PSA what it would cost to have your set graded all in one shot?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 10:44AM

@Copyboy1 said:

The problem with modern 9's and 10's is that at least with ultra-modern, a great deal of the items are speculative since the careers aren't established much yet, but the turn-around time has gotten so long that if you get your card back a year later, the value may have vanished over the duration of processing. At least with vintage, there isn't much question about a player's relative collectable popularity, except possibly being newly voted into a HOF for their sport during the processing time.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

@miwlvrn said:

The problem with modern 9's and 10's is that at least with ultra-modern, a great deal of the items are speculative since the careers aren't established much yet, but the turn-around time has gotten so long that if you get your card back a year later, the value may have vanished over the duration of processing.

>

Anyone wanna buy some slabbed Drew Lock Prizm RCs??

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Have you ever asked PSA what it would cost to have your set graded all in one shot?

I haven't, because it's currently this weird combo of about 35% PSA graded, 15% BVG that needs crossover (currently suspended, per PSA), and 50% ungraded (which would cost me a ton).

So I've been sending some raw in batches when I can afford it and looking for affordable PSA versions of the BVG stuff I have (and then I just sell the BVG version).

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 11:02AM

When do you think PSA will provide grading services to NBA Top Shot moments? All those raw moments just crying out for third party authentication of the purity of their blockchain. Perhaps trading those moments would slightly degrade them, making them less than gem. How will owners know they have the best?

Agree with many of the posts- collectors are now in a different world of have and have nots. We will see where this takes us.

• Options

It really seems like collecting is becoming like the art world.

I might own a Warhol, but unless it's certified, it sells for 10x-1000x times less and has to be marketed as "In the style of...". Sure, I could try to get it certified, but that takes years and costs tons of money. It's cost prohibitive. The real-world results is, I have a ceiling on what the art is worth simply because I don't have enough money of my own.

Cards are becoming the same. If you have the money, you'll be able to make way more. If you don't, you'll have a ceiling on raw.

• Options

@Copyboy1 said:

I haven't, because it's currently this weird combo of about 35% PSA graded, 15% BVG that needs crossover (currently suspended, per PSA), and 50% ungraded (which would cost me a ton).

So I've been sending some raw in batches when I can afford it and looking for affordable PSA versions of the BVG stuff I have (and then I just sell the BVG version).

I was hoping to learn if set builders get a break; for my 1946 Propagandas Montiel set, there’s 180 cards and I have had most of the big stars graded or bought them that way. I guess I thought I might one day try to have them all slabbed but that is more and more cost prohibitive.

If you should find out about having a while set fine, let me know?

Thank you

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Will the increase cause the price of junk wax to start declining? It seems like 1986-1991 has doubled or even tripled over the past year or so. With the new fees ripping that stuff doesn’t make nearly as much sense.

• Options

Another glass half-full item from today's announcement - the Complete Through Date visibility should eliminate a lot of threads and discussion here about when things are popping: https://www.psacard.com/communication. I have a couple orders in flight for pack grading, so it's not too helpful to me at this point, but it should shed some light on progress for the vast majority of their submission volume...

Jim

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel bad if anyone was trying to make a 1981 Topps PSA set. That pop is going to sit down and take a nap.

• Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭

I'm not so sure this is a haves versus haves not situation. The situation is to me, more like ordering wine at a restaurant. I justify paying 3x for a bottle of wine at a restaurant (analogy, buy a graded card) over buying it at the store (analogy, buy an ungraded card) by thinking 3x the cost is worth it because the ambiance is nice, the food is good, it's fun to be out and about, etc. If the restaurant doubles the price so now it's 6x what I pay at the store, I might decide to just have the exact same wine and dinner at home for 1/6 the price. If I'm not the "core" patron, then it probably doesn't matter to the restaurant's business. That's fine. I get it.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@ChewliesGum said:
    Will the increase cause the price of junk wax to start declining? It seems like 1986-1991 has doubled or even tripled over the past year or so. With the new fees ripping that stuff doesn’t make nearly as much sense.

I hope so.

• Options

@envoy982 said:
    @1951WheatiesPremium - I don't know if they still do this but many years ago (2003-2013) I was in the set registry and inquired about a bulk-deal for grading several hundred cards. Back then it was 8-10 bucks to grade what I was sending in (mid-range Football HOF and future HOF players). I called and got a deal for $4 and $6 on a few occasions with no guaranteed turnaround time. They typically were around 45 days. The world has changed drastically since then but it might be worth a call to see. I originally went through Cosetta, not sure if she is still with PSA but she lead the registry and got me in touch with an account manager who setup the deal for me.

As far as the price increase goes, it has priced me out of submitting all of the speculative stuff. (bowman base, topps flahship, mosaic rookies etc). I just sent in 170 cards earlier this month and the grading fees minus shipping were $2663. I priced it today and those same fees would be $4570 and I can say that the sub would have been less than half of what I sent had this price increase been in effect 2 weeks ago. I believe this increase will largely stay and it will force out a large subsection of people who are grading. But if you can get rid of the turnaround time, double the cost to grade and you lose half of those submissions, you've gotten the same money for half the work. The question I wonder is what effect it has on the set registry. There are hundreds of thousands of cards nobody would bother to grade were it nor for the registry and I believe that the registry is what PSA to the point it is. Competition, goal-setting and value are all there, it's a wonderful program especially for the company that grades the cards. I hope it doesn't negatively impact that group long-term.

What a helpful, informative and awesome response. Thanks very much for taking the time to write that up.

I may call them and see what they say in a few years when I can get through again. 😂

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

No real surprises here. We all knew this action was in the works. IMO, this may hurt the individual collector and some may just tap out... but, this market has been trending as a higher end game for the past few years pushing collectors away anyways. The low risk high reward was very appealing and now will become a more risk high reward game with a lower profit margin. I can't think of a single sub I've done over the years and actually lost value. The individual collector should/ will be much more selective of what to submit. It's a business decision: less work (subs coming in) same or more money (price increase). In the short term it will not have any effect as there are months upon months of "revenue" sitting on the shelves. Data will be collected to determine any impacts of the price increase and the business will react accordingly by making adjustments. You've gotta pay to play. It's a private company now..... the 800lb gorilla will still be well fed and first in line. We should be thankful for what we have and make arrangements for what we want. PSA: still a good value and the leader of the industry.

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2021 1:43PM

I for one hope that this helps PSA get back to regular grading times and turnarounds. I had 30 cards ready to go out but knew I wouldn't get them in on time for the new prices. I just pulled 5 out. I'm sure it will be higher than a 15-20% decrease in overall submissions moving forward. The guy who was about to send in 150 Casey Mize or Jo Adell RCs isn't going to spend 100 each on them so they are back by the All Star Break. And seeing how if they were sent in today under economy, they won't be back until next Spring Training, by then Mize could be rehabbing from Tommy John and Adell can't figure out big league pitching. So it's too big of a gamble to go prospecting in the event that player tanks or gets hurt.

I do feel most for the set builders. I was just reading and update from Mr Peanut's 1983 quest. You really gotta be committed to send in a Burt Hooten at 20 bucks a pop. But he's so far along it'd be hard to just stop altogether at this point.

I'm not saying PSA needs to do this in the immediate future, but once they get their ducks in a row a bit, offer some sort of set builder rate for commons. Flippers aren't going to be subbing Doug Drabek cards, and it should be obvious what is and isn't a common. Does a 1979 Yaz card fall in that category? I'd say it's a common at that point in his career, maybe PSA says otherwise, but chances are flippers aren't subbing his late career cards for a quick buck.

I already thought I was tough on grading my cards, so now who even knows what I'll be sending in moving forward.

• Options
    surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

My opinion is that psa thinks their stuff doesn't stink and they can get away with whatever they want. That will be true for the foreseeable future (but not indefinitely) as their name carries the clout and has become ubiquitous in asking what a card is graded. But I think their grading lags behind, it's lazy.

You send two cards in, one comes back a 10, one is a 9 and you're stuck with saying "Duh, ok." with no transparency or any further details about the card you just paid a lot to have painstakingly assessed and apparently came up just short, even though they know the exact reasons why. Being stingy with their use of the .5 step ups and not providing sub grades...lazy. Now that csg is in the game, it's going to further make these shortcomings clear and people may not like it.

Especially with modern cards where, what, they are all basically assumed to be at least 9s coming out of the pack? People are supposed to continue to pay more and more for grades without explanations and get stuck with holders that don't even at least offer up what may be any of the nicest features of their cards, like details on centering, corners, surface? Lazy.

They should be looking to add any kind of value to their customer's cards that are justified and appropriate. A psa 9 with 10 centering or corners...okay, a little more premium on that card to a potential buyer who values those things. Too black and white now with psa, it's either gold or garbage.

Lazy.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I highly doubt that prices will ever come down again. There will be specials, but not everyday price increases.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beckett also increased their prices immensely last month.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    HalfNipponeseHalfNipponese Posts: 118 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had PSA return cards that are sitting? I don't have ill will towards PSA but I'd rather have my cards at home and wait until they catch up.

I think it would be a cool gesture for PSA to offer free returns. This would really be a way to show the community they are trying to right thing.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.

• Options
    edited March 1, 2021 3:56PM

I would like to think that now they're a private company again, they can do things with an eye to the long run and not just immediate shareholder value. And that sorta boils down to three choices. Do they want to be:

1. A premium service to the most valuable, most select cards and investors/collectors out there; one that is selective and literally wouldn't want every card to be a PSA card. Sort of like how the cream of the crop goes to Christie's Auction House for art/antiques. This would solve both their volume issue and their profit issue in one fell swoop - pump up profits, reduce volume. Given the new ownership coziness with Goldin, I suspect this is the direction. Legitimize ultra-high-value cards, and be the conduit for massive profits at auction.

2. A service for the masses. Keep prices (somewhat) low, and try to make every card a PSA card. Offer a bunch of service levels to cater to every kind of collector/investor. Become almost a given as an add-on to any raw card purchase - like when you buy a washer and dryer and of course you pay for the extended warranty. This would boost profits, but also boost volume (which we know they're having a rough time of). I bet they let this business go to the other grading companies, or maybe spin off a sub-brand, kind of like BCCG did.

3. Some combo of both. Break out even more levels of service. Have something for super-premium, something for people who only occasionally submit, a bulk option for commons/set builders, etc.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw a quote on BO that Nat Turner posted on Instagram that their backlog is almost 10 million cards.

• Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

@Indy78 said:

@rexvos said:

@blurryface said:

@burghman said:
    Just curious, since I don’t submit frequently and don’t have prices memorized... did these double across the board, or just certain levels?

value used to be $10. now $20
    economy used to be $20. now back at $50
    ultra modern was $12, then to $15. now at $25
    regular was $50. now $100
    express was $75. now $100.

so for the most part, yes doubled.

When I log in I do not get Economy as an option. I am good with the changes it just kills registry guys building sets. If I am grading anything new I am going to have to be really sure a bout it before submitting (not like I wasn’t thorough before) @ $25 per

Yes, my thoughts exactly on registry building. I can't imagine many wanting to spend $20 to grade a mid to late-70's and up common, for example. $12 was iffy as it was.

All those common PSA 8's that didn't sell for the grading fee, just got a jump up in price. A few I follow are1970 FB PSA 8 and 1965 BB PSA 8 commons have been cheap for a long time.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Saw a quote on BO that Nat Turner posted on Instagram that their backlog is almost 10 million cards.

That’s 25% of everything they’ve ever graded.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

So you're saying I shouldn't expect my Value Subs back until 2027?

• Options

@HalfNipponese said:

I think it would be a cool gesture for PSA to offer free returns. This would really be a way to show the community they are trying to right thing.

Heck yeah, I'd take my $500 submission back right now. I'd even accept less the return shipping fees. Let's go psa, give people the chance to take back their stuff and 'help you catch up'.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@surfyfun said:

@HalfNipponese said:

Heck yeah, I'd take my $500 submission back right now. I'd even accept less the return shipping fees. Let's go psa, give people the chance to take back their stuff and 'help you catch up'.

what's your sub number?

• Options

@blurryface said:

@surfyfun said:

@HalfNipponese said:

what's your sub number?

pm being sent...

• Options

@erikthredd said:

Here's a story on it I just came across: https://www.actionnetwork.com/news/leading-card-grader-psa-doubles-prices-as-industry-booms

• Options

@surfyfun said:

@blurryface said:

@surfyfun said:

@HalfNipponese said:

what's your sub number?

pm being sent...

pm responded to. and you can forget any help from me, bud.

• Options

@habs007 said:
    within 5 years there will be a machine in the kiosk at the local mall where you insert your card and type in the description and the computer kicks in . $ 10 bucks and 3 minutes later it spits out your graded card in a custom holder ( your design ) - no humans and no waiting 6 months - its happening .

And no credibility.

I can beat 10 bucks and three minutes; send me your cards?

• Options

@blurryface said:

pm being sent...

pm responded to. and you can forget any help from me, bud.

Again....publicly flexing. Nice.

• Options

if i want to publicly flex and embarass you, i would.

best of luck w your sub!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OmegaDOmegaD Posts: 25 ✭✭

@burghman said:
    Just curious, since I don’t submit frequently and don’t have prices memorized... did these double across the board, or just certain levels?

I looked over the PSA site and got confused. Are these regular prices for everyone, or are they Collector's Club Silver membership prices? If the prices are the same for everyone, what's the advantage of being a Collector's Club Silver member?

• Options

@OmegaD said:

@burghman said:

I looked over the PSA site and got confused. Are these regular prices for everyone, or are they Collector's Club Silver membership prices? If the prices are the same for everyone, what's the advantage of being a Collector's Club Silver member?

I think you still need the membership to submit at the value level. Although I could be wrong.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

Have any of the group sub guys posted updated prices? Just curious what kind of price break they're offering.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

My my I missed out. Ouch! I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sooo close to dropping an NB4 Larkin earlier after the Lazy but I thought it was too soon. ;)

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@erikthredd said:

the submission forms now have shipping barcodes to expedite the time from arrival to entry into the PSA system.

Expedite the time from arrival to submission.

*** Checks his Submission page after sending subs in w barcodes the last couple months***

NOPE

• Options
    morton35morton35 Posts: 75 ✭✭

I had considered trying to beat the increase with a submission over the weekend and then I realized doing so would not resolve my very likely long-term issue - that, as a collector of somewhat less desired set registry sets, I am effectively being priced out of continuing my quests. This increase will force me to do some significant soul searching in the near future. I have largely been involved as a set registry guy where most of the sets I am working did not have too many others working on them - meaning the only real way to improve your status was via submission. Yet, at the same time, many of the cards are not really "grade-worthy" in that their value or desirability did not demand grading (other than I needed to do it to add it to my set). But now I am in the middle of some rather large registry sets where this increase would force massive cash outlays for grading (far, far in excess of what the cost of the raw cards would be). I think I will be returning to the land of raw collecting - and acquiring more pages and binders - and freeing up space by parting with portions of my graded items if there is demand for some of those odd ball sets I have been working. Truly time to do some thinking.
    Chris

• Options

@OmegaD said:

@burghman said:

Silver opens up the door to Value pricing - can’t use that level unless you’re a member. Prices are here: https://www.psacard.com/pricing (scroll down past the first set of prices, or click the lock then the pop-up for the Value block).

Jim

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@habs007 said:
    within 5 years there will be a machine in the kiosk at the local mall where you insert your card and type in the description and the computer kicks in . $ 10 bucks and 3 minutes later it spits out your graded card in a custom holder ( your design ) - no humans and no waiting 6 months - its happening .

These already exist. Not a custom holder, but custom labels. Question is, will there be local malls in five years?

• Options
    bumpskierbumpskier Posts: 64 ✭✭

I can't figure out the new pack pricing. Is it $25 for any pack valued under $249? Are there any restrictions on years you can submit? I want to submit some unopened from the 70's.

• Options

It looks like that on the pricing page, but the submission form shows a low price of $50:

Jim