Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Greysheet App

lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the new Greysheet phone app. Seems to be a bit easier to navigate to me

Google link
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cdn.greysheet

Philately will get you nowhere....

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 1:29PM

It is fantastic! Great tool. Just downloaded new one per your link. Good show! Thanks. Has values for CAC!

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link, it's easy to navigate.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the link... downloaded and did a quick look through.... Nice resource. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Link for Apple fans. I like the app, just wish there was a way to see historical grey sheets while still protecting them from people who would share the PDFs to non subscribers

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/greysheet/id1546090211

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

Do you have to be on-line to see the greysheet with the new viewer? If you do that will be a big problem for me, since I access everything on my laptop when I am at the shows. I don't always have internet access, and when I do it is not always reliable.

Also, I don't need one every month, so typically only buy one once in a while. (even less with all the shows cancelled with covid).

Actually, when I am on line I don't have a lot of use for the CDN since recent auctions are typically more accurate anyway. That is especially true for the more expensive coins.

• Options

I was looking more, and I am not even sure I can get the viewer for my Windows based laptop. I am not going to be reading the greysheet on my phone, that is crazy.

I suspect CDN is going to lose a lot of paying customers with this change.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthecoinguy said:
    I was looking more, and I am not even sure I can get the viewer for my Windows based laptop. I am not going to be reading the greysheet on my phone, that is crazy.

I suspect CDN is going to lose a lot of paying customers with this change.

Why would anyone drop it? It's an add-on not a replacement, isn't it? You can continue to do whatever you do, can't you?

• Options

@Tomthecoinguy said:
    Do you have to be on-line to see the greysheet with the new viewer? If you do that will be a big problem for me, since I access everything on my laptop when I am at the shows. I don't always have internet access, and when I do it is not always reliable.

Also, I don't need one every month, so typically only buy one once in a while. (even less with all the shows cancelled with covid).

Actually, when I am on line I don't have a lot of use for the CDN since recent auctions are typically more accurate anyway. That is especially true for the more expensive coins.

If you only need access occasionally you can still get a printed copy so no need for internet access

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why can't I print the single pages I want to print?
    I don't any benefits of the new format, in fact it is worse IMHO!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@lsica said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

If you only need access occasionally you can still get a printed copy so no need for internet access

I guess, but it seems they are going backward in time, not forward. Before I could download it and start using it instantly, now I am going to have to count on the mail service all know what that has been like lately. I am also going to have to keep tract of a paper copy, which will be a pain. So much easier when I could just count it being on my laptop.

I don't know of anyone that was sharing the PDF files, it had your name on it so it could be traced back to you. Not only that why would I give another dealer something I had to pay for? It would be giving them a competitive advantage over me.

I suspect the sharing problem is not as big as CDN thinks. They may have a big drop in sales recently, but that was likely do to all the shows being canceled, and/or people just going on-line and searching auction records.

There was a certain comfort in using the CDN for pricing, but I have been using it less and less anyway, relying more on auction records. Ironically, it's main use was when I could not get on the internet, now that is gone.

Oh well, it is their intellectual property they can do with it how they please. I have no problem with a company trying to figure out how to maximize their resources. I might just have to figure out how to conduct my business without them.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2021 6:49PM

I downloaded the app on my phone and it works great. Their CPG Retail MV is a CDN bid based pricing system which is exactly what I want. They also show values for CAC coins.

They also have it for us currency plus csa. They have a section for world - Canada and China (Pandas for instance).

I plan this yearly to get a lot of my raw notes graded both US and world as I already have a good sized inventory of graded notes. From an accounting view I lean towards adding the individual item grading fee to the inventory item but expensing any indirect (total submission) fees, shipping as Opex. In that way proper matching revenue vs cost is achieved (acctg matching principle) plus the direct grading cost becomes part of the markup equation. The Opex costs wb sch c tax shelter deduction in yr incurred.

If I ever finish my book on “Dealing Numismatic Items Shows and Online” that would be my part of the chapter on accounting and tax. Another piece is an excel based accounting and inventory system. I am a big picture person and like to see key data on one page that can be printed out on one 8.5 x 11 page. Not some gobly crud techie report that you can’t even tell where bottom line totals are or see the big picture.

It is a fantastic tool.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭

I like it a lot. It’s easier to navigate and it does have auction sales that someone mentioned. Find your coin, touch the arrow in the grade you’re looking for and (Bam!) you’re taken to the auction record, complete with the pic. So easy!

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the app notice. Just activated mine. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

I got a response to the email I sent to CDN support. I asked them if I could access it without the application, and if I could access it off line. I am not sure how easy it will be to access it off-line, I guess I will try it out and see.

Here is what Amber from CDN said:

The format should work on any browser. The only thing we see a difference is with internet explorer and edge.

The Greysheet is accessible off internet, however you would need to open it before the internet is not accessible.

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭

Here is some additional information from CDN about the recent changes:

CDN has decided to make the online Greysheet only readable. Subscribers will no longer be able to download their Greysheet pdf's or print them out. Going forward we will only be offering combo subscriptions for all our publications. Subscribers will no longer be able to choose between print or online just the combo. The combo will include, the printed copy, the readable copy, updated pricing on the app and updated pricing on our website.

Two main reason CDN has decided to go in this direction is one, to protect the Greysheet. Many of you know there are many dealers and collectors who share their pdf's or print out copies and give them to others. Second is we are having a hard time with the postal service delivering in a timely manner. By giving everyone access to the print and online viewing of the Greysheet solves these two problems.

In the next 30 days or sooner, CDN will only allow 2 devices per subscription. You can order another subscription at half price if needed. This will also cut down on people sharing their logins to view pricing.
    There is a new CDN app which was launched in December. Subscribers now have access to see pricing, news, events, dealers and the readable Greysheet.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file