Home Sports Talk

Tiger Woods in car accident...........................

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-woods-injured-in-one-car-rollover-accident-193504493.html

7 am and he was alone.

I can't help but think he had one heck of a night.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was a golf club involved?

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the looks of the completely mashed up front of the car, I think there must be some degree of leg injuries.

Let's hope there's no brain injuty.

And let's hope he was wearing his seat belt.

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad looking accident, I just hope he survives.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the first I have heard of this... hope he is okay

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

You know, I might get flamed for saying this, but not only am I sad for him, but I'm feeling very mad at him.

Mad because here is someone with such a wonderful gift, a gift that we 'golfers' would probably sell our soul to have and here he is, throwing it away with his reckless personal lifestyle.

I just can't make sense of these reckless, self-serving lifestyles.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<<< His car apparently crossed the southbound lanes and traveled a substantial distance before coming to rest: >>>

Certainly not good as the chances of a whiplash injury to the neck or back are markedly increased by the "substantial distance."

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 3:16PM

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    You know, I might get flamed for saying this, but not only am I sad for him, but I'm feeling very mad at him.

Mad because here is someone with such a wonderful gift, a gift that we 'golfers' would probably sell our soul to have and here he is, throwing it away with his reckless personal lifestyle.

Hope he did not sell off his soul (golf and money and fame) because he will meet the one who created that soul at some point could have been today. Life is fragile and short even if you live to 90 it is short compared to all things. As humans we tend to think it will never end. It does even if you where able to live to 1000 or 10 000 it ends there is no escaping it.

I know not all believe in life after death so this is for those that do I have no want to fight with those that do not not it's their right. I believe in free will.

And yes I am also a firm believer in science. Many people believe in both not been separate. Whatever lies/deceptions that came out of certain institutions over the last 1000's of years is not my problem.

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:

you are jumping to conclusions. no one here knows what happened yet. could have been something completely out of his control.

now, it could be caused by nefarious actions, but it is crazy to throw shade before you even know what happened.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 3:00PM

I blacked out once in 2016 after skiing with my son in Vermont. I rear ended another car while going 75 mph. The other car was pushed across the freeway. My airbags went off and I suffered a concussion and some minor injuries. My son walked away. The other driver walked away. I may have fallen asleep. I don't remember anything. We had just stopped at Dunkin Donuts for coffee. My coffee actually survived the crash unscathed. The Chevy Malibu rental while totaled has great cup holders.

No drugs or drinking involved.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited February 23, 2021 3:02PM

Same I started a new medication and my blood pressure went down very low and I passed out just before I go into my car. Luckily I had a friend with me that could drive me home. Took a few hours to get out of the daze and was weak during that time.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best not to be over reactionary when shocking events happen. Let the dust settle. We are innocent until proven drunk. Hope he’s ok.

Yes, my comment in my opening post is uncalled for.

Talking to others, many think a very possible cause is painkillers and their potential bad side effects.

But time will tell.

edited February 23, 2021 4:02PM

@DoubleEagle59 said:

Talking to others, many think a very possible cause is painkillers and their potential bad side effects.

But time will tell.

@DoubleEagle59 said:

But time will tell.

Could be many many things could be early Parkinson disease. I say this because my dad drove around for years with it and some times he arrived home and could not even get out of the car that was back in the 1980's and we just looked at him saying how in heck did he drive like this. We where lucky he never hurt anyone or himself. The laws have changed since those days for certain diseases and driving thank goodness. Way to many options let the cops figure it out.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to that article he left his hotel possibly agitated and driving at a high rate of speed.

edited February 23, 2021 4:07PM

Well that does not solve it was he on dope or drunk or scared or what. Maybe just went nuts or was simply just driving fast. Who knows.

edited February 23, 2021 4:06PM

@thisistheshow said:
    According to that article he left his hotel possibly agitated and driving at a high rate of speed.

Bad date? Did someone get hurt at the hotel possibly by him before all this? Again just speculation.

Could be lots of things. Braking for an animal. Sun in your eyes. Distracted by texts..... the list goes on.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

people just love to speculate.

edited February 23, 2021 4:19PM

@craig44 said:
    people just love to speculate.

So do cops till they have an answer. Difference is cops do it between themselves and do not go public until there is evidence. So do scientists with new theories till proven right or wrong. That is life.

we are not officials investigating a crime. we are a bunch of chuckleheads talking sports.

edited February 23, 2021 4:30PM

@craig44 said:
    we are not officials investigating a crime. we are a bunch of chuckleheads talking sports.

Bored ones at that hence all this!! Like a bunch of old grannies stirring the pot including myself.

Ohhh the witches brew the witches brew add a little bit of this and a little bit of that!!!

@Justacommeman said:
    Could be lots of things. Braking for an animal. Sun in your eyes. Distracted by texts..... the list goes on.

m

No tire skid marks.

I find this very interesting.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

No tire skid marks.

Good thing no one has ever whiskey throttled during losing control of a vehicle before.

Many years ago, me and a buddy of mine pulled an all nighter at the Atlantic City blackjack tables...and that wasn't the first time. LOL

Anyway, I guess it was around 9:00am, we're driving home on the Atlantic City Expressway. It's his car and he's driving, and i'm in the passenger seat. I'm dog tired, and ready to go to sleep, but something alerted me about the way the car was riding. Well it all happened in milliseconds, I nod my head to look at him, and my buddy is fast asleep at the wheel, with the car going probably around 70 mph.

Fortunately, I just gently tapped him on the shoulder and said his name not too loudly to "wake-up" and he did, and didn't lose control of the car. Frankly, there was no plan B. Something else, perhaps anything else could have happened in that predicament and none of it very good.

it was a good thing you had the presence of mind to wake him up gently and not jerk him awake. had he been startled, he very well could have jerked the wheel, and at 70 MPH...

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

No tire skid marks.

we all get it. you think tiger was high, either on alcohol or drugs and crashed his car. you can stop beating around the bush and insinuating.

Just so you know, the way adults usually deal with situations like this is to wait until investigations are over before they start casting aspersions and sullying reputations. your conjecture is not helpful.

If he was drunk, I will be the first to pile on, but, I don't know yet and neither do you.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

The police have already said Tiger didn't appear to be under the influence.

If i were to advise Tiger moving forward, considering all the problems he's had in the past with car accidents...i would tell him to hire a full time driver.

If the driver is sitting around 23 hours a day, so what, you're a multi-billiionaire for crying out loud. You can easily afford it, and the driver can be a gopher for other stuff you may need.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope he’s ok. Say what you will. He is the greatest golfer of our generation. Jack was my father’s, Tiger ours.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read online that his injuries are not life threatening, so that's the most important thing thank goodness.

Shattered ankle and compound leg fracture. Not good

m

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even the biggest Tiger fans have their suspicions, but it's not the time to air them publicly.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Shattered ankle and compound leg fracture. Not good

m

But definitely not as bad as it could hsve been. I’m glad the guy is all right, as far as what caused it I don’t care, none of my business

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I mentioned this in another thread. I genuinely hope Tiger successfully recovers and can live a normal life. I also sincerely hope he was not impaired in any way, whether it be prescription meds or otherwise. As to whether he ever plays competitively again is of far less importance IMHO and I honestly can't see it happening. Even though he has had his faults in his past, Tiger has done a ton for others in his life. Prayers his way.

Tiger's story is an incredible one. And it's still being written, as are all of ours. For a lot of us, the combination of just following his journey and all of his struggles and his redemption (that we can relate to even if we are not rich and famous, etc) makes him an athlete that does impact our lives.

I'm essentially the same age as Tiger. I remember where I was when I watched him win that first Masters (on my mother's couch, in
    Massachusetts, single, no kids). I remember where I was when I saw him win that last one (on my couch, in Texas, married with three kids). In between those times, we both got married, had kids, had problems, turned things around. Etc I think you get what I am saying.

So I definitely pull for Tiger and hope he is okay. And I pray for him and his family.

edited February 23, 2021 11:31PM

Rod, screws and pins

that sounds as bad, if not worse than alex smiths injury. tiger is in for a very long recovery/rehab.

Am I reading things right this morning.

Was the surgery for the broken leg and shattered ankle on one leg only?

Is the other leg OK?

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    Am I reading things right this morning.

Was the surgery for the broken leg and shattered ankle on one leg only?

Is the other leg OK?

I read it as right leg and ankle

https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/23/tiger-woods-car-crash-golf-tournament/

This gives more insight, and creates the scenario that it could have been just him losing control of the car, nothing else at play.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had heard something earlier that he appeared agitated when he left the resort. If he was running basically 30+ mins late for a shoot that makes sense.

edited February 24, 2021 12:50PM

My guess is going too fast while using the phone/ texting.

m

edited February 24, 2021 5:48PM

and this is exactly why grown up adults should not rush to judgement. it is petty and can ruin reputations.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2021 3:13PM

@thisistheshow said:
    https://www.tmz.com/2021/02/23/tiger-woods-car-crash-golf-tournament/

This .more insight, and creates the scenario that it could have been just him losing control of the car, nothing else at play.

The accident is horrible but I am happy it was just that and nothing more. He has a long road of recovery in front of him and I will be pulling for him 100%