Home Sports Talk

Tiger Woods in car accident...........................

2»

Comments

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

He’s 47 years old. Imagine the draw for the Champions Tour in 3 years. If he’s in a tournament they might outdraw the PGA.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

you are right, they probably would draw more with tiger.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just don't see Tiger ever spending any time on the Champions tour other than as a tune up event if he thinks he can still be competitive in a PGA major. There's nothing to prove there.

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    I just don't see Tiger ever spending any time on the Champions tour other than as a tune up event if he thinks he can still be competitive in a PGA major. There's nothing to prove there.

That's the way Nicklaus thought too, but Jack did enter quite a few Senior's events.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@LarkinCollector said:

That's the way Nicklaus thought too, but Jack did enter quite a few Senior's events.

Jack and Arnie did it to help kick off the Champions tour successfully, it's quite well established now.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotta love doctors who are more than happy to speculate about a patient's prognosis without seeing their file.

@Tabe said:

Gotta love doctors who are more than happy to speculate about a patient's prognosis without seeing their file.

You should read what the doctors who actually worked on Hogan after his crash gave as his prognosis:

"crippled for the rest of his life"
    "if his legs didn't have to be amputated"
    "golfing days are over"

Only time will tell with Tiger and neither retirement nor a comeback would surprise me.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have thought about this from many different angles. if he comes back and wins another golf tournament, it'll be the most wrong i've ever been about anything in my life. i personally don't even think he'll make an attempt. or physically be able to make an attempt. and frankly, i don't know if i even want him to. last thing i want to see is a 47-year-old Tiger Woods shooting 82 in a comeback attempt with a ball speed slower than 80% of the field.

but then again, his mere presence on a golf course may end up being the most idyllic sight any set of sore eyes has ever seen. only time will tell, and there's going to be a lot of that from now until that day comes (if it does).

the thing that has stuck out to me the most the past couple of days is listening to the words of some of the best players in the world like McIlroy, Schauffele and Rahm. if you parse their comments, they tacitly conveyed that this accident effectively puts a bow on his golfing career.

other than his major win in 2019, Tiger has been in decline for what 8 or 9 years? I am not sure why he would even attempt a comeback at what, probably 47 years old? its not as though he will top Jack for major wins.

I would recommend him retiring

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    He’s 47 years old. Imagine the draw for the Champions Tour in 3 years. If he’s in a tournament they might outdraw the PGA.

If they allow fans in 3 years.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@craig44 said:
    other than his major win in 2019, Tiger has been in decline for what 8 or 9 years? I am not sure why he would even attempt a comeback at what, probably 47 years old? its not as though he will top Jack for major wins.

I would recommend him retiring

I wonder if he had an insurance policy like Anthony Kim.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Gotta love doctors who are more than happy to speculate about a patient's prognosis without seeing their file.> @LarkinCollector said:

@Tabe said:

You should read what the doctors who actually worked on Hogan after his crash gave as his prognosis:

"golfing days are over"

Only time will tell with Tiger and neither retirement nor a comeback would surprise me.

There's that, too, but I was referring to the ethics of those doctors.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Alfonz24 said:

I wonder if he had an insurance policy like Anthony Kim.

AK sightings are rarer than bigfoot. but here's the latest and greatest. if anyone held out hope that he might return, all that ink should lay those thoughts to rest

@Tabe said:

Gotta love doctors who are more than happy to speculate about a patient's prognosis without seeing their file.> @LarkinCollector said:

@Tabe said:

"golfing days are over"

There's that, too, but I was referring to the ethics of those doctors.

Ah, I've just long assumed that any doctor willing to deal with the media has none and am pleasantly surprised when one shows up who does. Lowered expectations is a wonderful thing.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

9 lives tiger!

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

I think it was obvious from the start, because there was zero tire marks on the road, something was up.

Hopefully, more info will be forthcoming.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW!!!

--- 84 in a 45, he's lucky to be alive but he cooked six-ways-to-Sunday. maybe Tiger should take some time off, retire, and just get his life in order.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    WOW!!!

--- 84 in a 45, he's lucky to be alive but he cooked six-ways-to-Sunday. maybe Tiger should take some time off, retire, and just get his life in order.

That is pure self-destructive behavior.

Woods should go see a good psychiatrist. He can afford it.

@keets said:
    WOW!!!

The important thing from the press conference this morning is that the police didn't test Tiger's blood for alcohol or drugs. That's positively ridiculous. There is absolutely zero chance that they skip those tests on anybody that's not a celebrity. ZERO. CHANCE.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

They think he accidently hit the gas pedal. First thing I thought of when I heard that was suicide.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

People who are familiar with and drive in that area are on the record as saying that it is easy to pick up speed and if you don't know where you are going things can quickly get out of hand.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2021 9:15PM

@Tabe said:

@keets said:
    WOW!!!

The important thing from the press conference this morning is that the police didn't test Tiger's blood for alcohol or drugs. That's positively ridiculous. There is absolutely zero chance that they skip those tests on anybody that's not a celebrity. ZERO. CHANCE.

Actually when I blacked out on a Vermont highway after skiing and rear ended someone at 75 mph ( she was moving but I sent her spinning into the middle median from the right lane ) I was never tested for drugs or alcohol. I was shocked. I was clean but still assumed I would be tested just the same. I didn't even have my DL on me. I was sent to hospital via an ambulance but don't remember a single thing. I was lucky

My rental car was considered totaled.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2021 10:43AM

@thisistheshow said:
    People who are familiar with and drive in that area are on the record as saying that it is easy to pick up speed and if you don't know where you are going things can quickly get out of hand.

Right. Temporary memory loss resulting in rapid acceleration and loss of control. i.e., simple panic attack. Simple.

wasn't Tiger late for a commercial recording if I remember correctly? not saying it did, but that may have accounted for the speeding.

edited April 8, 2021 7:26AM

@craig44 said:
    wasn't Tiger late for a commercial recording if I remember correctly? not saying it did, but that may have accounted for the speeding.

Right. That's probably what happened. He was running a bit late. He did what he had to do. Traffic laws be damned. Or....as thisistheshow alluded to, he didn't know where he was so he just figured if he jacked it up to 84 it would jog his memory as to his correct location. I would have done the same thing.

blame the vehicle

@Alfonz24 said:
    blame the vehicle

Right. I can roll with that.

edited April 8, 2021 7:43AM

Based on the reports by locals, I was envisioning a situation where there are turns and declines , meaning you can pick up speed and lose control if you don't know when to brake and what is up ahead.

Edit to add: and if you combine that with already driving much faster than you should, you can roll your vehicle.

Quiz Time.
    What does Tiger Woods and Elvis Presley have in common?
    Hint.......It has nothing to do with weird first names or women named Priscilla.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reports conclude that he hit the accelerator hard exactly the time he should have hit the brakes

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited April 8, 2021 10:45AM

@Justacommeman said:
    The reports conclude that he hit the accelerator hard exactly the time he should have hit the brakes

m

Right. That happens to me frequently. I get so tired of the Lovely Mrs. Hydrant shouting, " GAS PEDAL ON THE LEFT! BREAKS ON THE RIGHT!" She suffers from severe dyslexia so that doesn't help matters.

It was obvious from the beginning that without any tire marks, some kind of 'impairment' was the reason for this accident.

Whether or not it was alcohol, painkillers, stress or who knows what, something was impairing Tiger's ability to hir the brakes instead of the accelerator.

We all speed from time to time, but I have never hit the accelerator when I wanted to brake suddenly.

I think it's time for Tiger with all his money, to hire himself a private chauffeur and keep his driving for the golf course.

edited April 8, 2021 4:29PM

Right. The Tiger was under stress. Or blitzed on booze. Or popping pain killers. I get it now. HIT THE GAS! Problem solved!
    No big deal. We ALL do it.

A few further details..............

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tiger-woods-believed-he-was-in-florida-after-crash-per-police-report-153252503.html

Dude, as I suggested before, hire a driver.

@Justacommeman said:

@Tabe said:

@keets said:
    WOW!!!

Actually when I blacked out on a Vermont highway after skiing and rear ended someone at 75 mph ( she was moving but I sent her spinning into the middle median from the right lane ) I was never tested for drugs or alcohol. I was shocked. I was clean but still assumed I would be tested just the same. I didn't even have my DL on me. I was sent to hospital via an ambulance but don't remember a single thing. I was lucky

m

Tiger had an empty pill bottle on him and was disoriented and combative. He absolutely got special treatment by not being tested.

@Tabe said:

@Justacommeman said:

@Tabe said:

@keets said:
    WOW!!!

m

Tiger had an empty pill bottle on him and was disoriented and combative. He absolutely got special treatment by not being tested.

I was involved in a single car roll over. I was placed under arrest at the hospital pending blood tests. When they all came back negative, and I had no injury, they let me go.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

In his hotel bag? If you just flipped your vehicle and destroyed your legs you'd be disoriented and combative, pills or not. Stone sober Sunday morning at 7.30 and fell down twisted all of 2 stairs, broke my leg and torched my ankle...ask my wife what came out of my mouth.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@keets said:
    WOW!!!

He's also probably gotten pulled over countless times without penalty. Probably would have numerous dui's on his record.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@DrBuster said:

@Tabe said:

In his hotel bag? If you just flipped your vehicle and destroyed your legs you'd be disoriented and combative, pills or not. Stone sober Sunday morning at 7.30 and fell down twisted all of 2 stairs, broke my leg and torched my ankle...ask my wife what came out of my mouth.

If I just flipped my car with an empty pill bottle, I'd expect to have my blood tested. Period.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure the hospital checked him so they knew how to provide treatment.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Most likely scenario - heavily medicated and fell asleep at the wheel.

• USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

He shouldn't drive his car like he drives his clubs............................hard and fast!