Home Precious Metals
Options

Silver and clean energy

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unable to read the article without subscribing, have enough passwords to sift through in my mind. What role does silver have in the battery industry? I thought it was mostly lead, lithium, nickel and cobalt. IMO fuels that emit nothing or next to nothing will take the lead or at least be a top competitor.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

It coming to that.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 7:54AM

Wasn't Texas pursuing clean energy? I suspect they have had a change of heart.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 7:57AM

@derryb said:

Hold on...they DE-Iced those windmills! *

*using a helicopter made from petroleum products, filled with petroleum, spraying a de-icing solution with a heavy petroleum base.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

"Clean energy" (pace Tucker Carlson) was not the issue here in Texas. The whole system (coal, natural gas, liquified gas pipelines, oil/gas wells, nuclear plants) ALL froze up, for lack of winterization of all these systems (including the clean energy ones). Deregulation brought about a great expanse and variation of energy sources here, and with attendant lower prices, but the emphasis lacked the incentives for preparing for outlier events.

I expect the outcome will be that the state will be more active with regulation, while still preserving the fundamental commitment to markets.

• Options

nuclear power plants don't freeze up, they have to be carefully kept cooled down.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2021 12:10PM

The nuclear plants have to have water piped in to keep the reactors cool. The pipes froze, so the nuclear plants in question automatically shut down.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/how-and-why-a-nuclear-reactor-shut-down-in-texas-cold-snap-when-energy-was-needed-most

• Options
    edited February 23, 2021 9:53PM

@dpoole said:
    The nuclear plants have to have water piped in to keep the reactors cool. The pipes froze, so the nuclear plants in question automatically shut down.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy/how-and-why-a-nuclear-reactor-shut-down-in-texas-cold-snap-when-energy-was-needed-most

I worked with nuclear systems for 20 yrs. Piping exposed to cold weather was required to have freeze protection installed during periods of expected very cold weather. Must be idiots running Texas nuclear plants. The fail safe features that properly shut the plant down because of the frozen pipes were apparently designed by non-locals, and will likely trigger an NRC close look at operating procedures.

• Options
    Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Yes and the TX governor was the one who sued the EPA while TX atty gen so they could avoid such basic protection measures. It won't take 10yrs for this to happen again and next time the severity will likely be even worse. No need for people to suffer like that let alone so many but Cancun was calling apparently.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    Unable to read the article without subscribing, have enough passwords to sift through in my mind. What role does silver have in the battery industry? I thought it was mostly lead, lithium, nickel and cobalt. IMO fuels that emit nothing or next to nothing will take the lead or at least be a top competitor.

https://www.kitco.com/commentaries/2021-02-18/Silver-s-clean-energy-future.html

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@dpoole said:

I worked with nuclear systems for 20 yrs. Piping exposed to cold weather was required to have freeze protection installed during periods of expected very cold weather. Must be idiots running Texas nuclear plants. The fail safe features that properly shut the plant down because of the frozen pipes were apparently designed by non-locals, and will likely trigger an NRC close look at operating procedures.

Yeah lots of fossil fuel idiots running the power grid in Texas. You also just contradicted your earlier post where you suggested Texas was having a change of heart pursuing clean energy. It was the fossil grid that failed. Thanks for trying to spin it though. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

if it was only the fossil grid that failed, the wind turbines and nuke plants would have been producing. Poor attempt trying to spin the facts I presented. LOL

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is (from what I read) the third time in the last 25 years that such weather has hit Texas.... Time to plan ahead, because it WILL happen again. Cheers, RickO