Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Turn the lights back off.

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

It isn’t very often that we lose power here in the Houston area especially when hurricane season is months away. It also isn’t very often that I get a chance to curl up with a book and a flashlight while struggling to stay warm.
Actually this is probably the very first time and before the lights came back on I had a chance to read the introduction of the 72nd edition of the Red Book.
I found the history of Richard and Kenneth very interesting. Richard being the creator of the Redbook and Kenneth a young numismatist while in the printing business and somehow they came together apparently at just the right time to put this together.?
I may need to re-read that but another interesting point were the familiar names listed in association.

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great book! I'd be lost without mine.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

A ton of recognizable names you have posted. How much snow will you end up with? What area of town do you live in? I lived in the FM 1960 area for 20+ years.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being from the North East where we can lose power for a week or more, I'd conserve my batteries :)
    But I'm glad you had something nice to read.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my granddaughters live in the Houston area (Woodlands) and has been without power for over 24 hours. That is strange weather for Texas. I lived in Houston for two and a half years and never saw anything like that.
    Cheers, RickO

• Options

We got maybe three or 4 inches here in the spring area which is a half hour north of Houston in the burbs.
    The power went back off this morning just when I was getting used to it :-)
    Back in the day we used to ride our dirt bikes in the fields around FM 1960.
    Then it and we grew up. Nowadays it’s the slums you wouldn’t wanna live there now crime was so high for the last 10 or 15 years that they’ve run off most of the good businesses.

• Options

@ricko Were in the Woodlands but we carefully have to call it spring depending on who were talking too or you may get a snooty reaction :D

• Options
    edited February 18, 2021 6:23AM

TMI

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever... Same area as my granddaughter...She was raised in NC, so this is unusual for her.. even the Veterinarian Clinic where she works is closed. Hope you power comes back soon... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird weather her is Las Vegas too. This was my front yard couple weeks ago.

• Options

@bigjpst Next time I'm in Vegas I need to go check out Chumley at the Pawn Shop. Something tells me I won't be getting one over on those guys. It'd cool to meet 'em though.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn global warming!

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

That’s what I was gonna say. You know global warming causes these major weather events :D

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

one degree above zero in texas, we dont see that none to often

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking of trying the Kindle version of the Red Book.

Anybody tried it?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:

Anybody tried it?

I have not but that would be nice with the zoom feature.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@yspsales said:

Anybody tried it?

A few online reviews complained of the quality of images and values.

Guess the JPEGS are lacking in quality.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@yspsales said:

Anybody tried it?

A few online reviews complained of the quality of images and values.

Guess the JPEGS are lacking in quality.

Sounds like an opportunity to
    produce a digital copy with high res pics.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

Longacre weeps for the people of Texas. Here in the leafy suburbs of Connecticut, we've learned to live in a climate that is suited for neither man nor beast.

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

@Longacre said:
    Longacre weeps for the people of Texas. Here in the leafy suburbs of Connecticut, we've learned to live in a climate that is suited for neither man nor beast.

If only I was that prepared; Cords of wood, wood burning stove, I don't know maybe a Generac and some beaver skins :D
    I put off the Generac cause were upgrading our house soon... The next house WILL have one!

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Longacre said:

If only I was that prepared; Cords of wood, wood burning stove, I don't know maybe a Generac and some beaver skins :D
    I put off the Generac cause were upgrading our house soon... The next house WILL have one!

I put in a Generac several years ago...a whole house unit, and I love it. Comes on automatically with a power failure. Goes off automatically when power is restored. Powers everything. Ours runs on propane from a 500 gallon tank.

Best upgrade I ever made.
    Lance.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2021 6:28PM

@lkeigwin said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

@Longacre said:

I put in a Generac several years ago...a whole house unit, and I love it. Comes on automatically with a power failure. Goes off automatically when power is restored. Powers everything. Ours runs on propane from a 500 gallon tank.

Best upgrade I ever made.
    Lance.

We tied ours into the natural gas line. Don’t even have to refill the take. Of course we haven’t had a power outage in 5 years since it was put in :s . It comes on once a month for test is the only way I know it’s still there

• Options
    SnapsSnaps Posts: 187 ✭✭✭✭

@CoinscratchFever said:
    It isn’t very often that we lose power here in the Houston area especially when hurricane season is months away. It also isn’t very often that I get a chance to curl up with a book and a flashlight while struggling to stay warm.
    Actually this is probably the very first time and before the lights came back on I had a chance to read the introduction of the 72nd edition of the Red Book.
    I found the history of Richard and Kenneth very interesting. Richard being the creator of the Redbook and Kenneth a young numismatist while in the printing business and somehow they came together apparently at just the right time to put this together.?
    I may need to re-read that but another interesting point were the familiar names listed in association.

We lost power about 2am Monday morning and got it back around 2pm today. About 15 minutes after power came back on I heard a loud shriek from upstairs. It is my wife with water running out of the ceiling, a hot water line had broke. It drained almost the entire hot water heater before I got to the shut off valve. So, I had to be Joe Plumber this afternoon.

We went up to the Lowe's up on I-45 and the lights were out and a line waiting to get in. We went to the Home Depot next door. They had lights. I went in to get plumbing supplies and there were two registers open. The line stretched from one side of the store to the other side. All you could see was half the customers in line, holding sticks of PVC plumbing pipe. We left there and went to the ACE on Spring Cypress and found the plumbing supplies. I needed copper parts. No PVC in the house. Major ordeal. Now I have a huge hole in the ceiling of the bathroom where I had to fix the pipe. My wife sees it as an opportunity to remodel the bathroom.

Anyway, Monday I spent time cleaning and organizing the coin room. I am gathering way too many magazines. I reread some articles while I was cleaning. I also put a lot my magazines in three-ring binder sheet holders. Then into binders. I found the D-Ring binders work the best. Now I need more binders. I did read an article on Jefferson nickels which got me to crack open a MegaRed nickel edition. I need a 1942-P proof nickel to go with the rest of my war nickel set. For some reason I thought there was only a nickel version proof and not a silver variety proof for 1942. I guess I learned something new or I forgot something old.

One last thing. In the 57 years I have lived here, in the Houston area, it has snowed a few times. That snow is usually melted by noon. I have never ever, until today, had to clear a sidewalk or driveway of snow and ice. I hope I never have to do that again. That is some work.

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    We got maybe three or 4 inches here in the spring area which is a half hour north of Houston in the burbs.
    The power went back off this morning just when I was getting used to it :-)
    Back in the day we used to ride our dirt bikes in the fields around FM 1960.
    Then it and we grew up. Nowadays it’s the slums you wouldn’t wanna live there now crime was so high for the last 10 or 15 years that they’ve run off most of the good businesses.

As soon as Metro started running, there went the neighborhood.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep my Kindle fully charged for these outages, which we get a couple of times a year.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

East central Ohio here. We were forecasted for 8" of snow, Got 1 1/2" of ice. Always prepared. 7 kw generator, 2 kerosene heaters, candles and spare batteries for everything. My son is in Silsbee, Tx, works railroad in Houston.
    Heck you guys are worse off than we are. Stay safe & warm.

• Options

@snaps Man that's a lot of work! Sorry to hear that. My wife is still on FB and all I have been hearing this afternoon is about peoples pipes busting in the attic. Look at the bright side, didn't leak on your coins :)
    I say Still because, I dropped it like a bad habit a while back. Too many Karens :D and...well I can't get into it here but you know what I mean.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 823 ✭✭✭✭

@Snaps said:

@CoinscratchFever said:

We lost power about 2am Monday morning and got it back around 2pm today. About 15 minutes after power came back on I heard a loud shriek from upstairs. It is my wife with water running out of the ceiling, a hot water line had broke. It drained almost the entire hot water heater before I got to the shut off valve. So, I had to be Joe Plumber this afternoon.

We went up to the Lowe's up on I-45 and the lights were out and a line waiting to get in. We went to the Home Depot next door. They had lights. I went in to get plumbing supplies and there were two registers open. The line stretched from one side of the store to the other side. All you could see was half the customers in line, holding sticks of PVC plumbing pipe. We left there and went to the ACE on Spring Cypress and found the plumbing supplies. I needed copper parts. No PVC in the house. Major ordeal. Now I have a huge hole in the ceiling of the bathroom where I had to fix the pipe. My wife sees it as an opportunity to remodel the bathroom.

Anyway, Monday I spent time cleaning and organizing the coin room. I am gathering way too many magazines. I reread some articles while I was cleaning. I also put a lot my magazines in three-ring binder sheet holders. Then into binders. I found the D-Ring binders work the best. Now I need more binders. I did read an article on Jefferson nickels which got me to crack open a MegaRed nickel edition. I need a 1942-P proof nickel to go with the rest of my war nickel set. For some reason I thought there was only a nickel version proof and not a silver variety proof for 1942. I guess I learned something new or I forgot something old.

One last thing. In the 57 years I have lived here, in the Houston area, it has snowed a few times. That snow is usually melted by noon. I have never ever, until today, had to clear a sidewalk or driveway of snow and ice. I hope I never have to do that again. That is some work.

I always have an emergency plan for water leaks. I have copper tubbing , pex tubing and shark bite fittings over the various needed sizes on hand. No need for the store and it’s fixed in about 30 mins. Copper pinhole leaks are common to my area for some reason. I’m in the process of converting everything to pex. Shark bites are the best !

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess you Texans don't know to leave the water dripping when crap like this happens. Understandable if the event you experienced is so rare. Count this as a lesson learned and remember to let those facets drip if it happens again.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

CoinscratchFever - Are those Cat in the Hat socks?

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I guess you Texans don't know to leave the water dripping when crap like this happens. Understandable if the event you experienced is so rare. Count this as a lesson learned and remember to let those facets drip if it happens again.

Actually that dawned on me last night after enough discussion. Missed it the first night though.

• Options

@Mizzou said:
    CoinscratchFever - Are those Cat in the Hat socks?

Basically yes, my daughter gave me those for Christmas - Very warm - I may wear them to work today along with some high-waters just to see what kinda looks I get. The more important part of that outfit was the 20 year old red polo sport ski pants. They're so warm they'll make you sweat.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

We had been doing that. The copper pipe joint came loose(unsoldered) at a 90. Poor craftsmanship from when the house was built. The pipe may have been leaking or dripping prior to the Texas Polar Vortex of 2021. My plumber nickname is Leaky. But, I got it soldered back up.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2021 4:42PM

Knowing how to sweat a copper connection is a life skill that has saved my caboose more than a few times. Thanks plumbing merit-badge counselor.

• Options

@Snaps said:

@amwldcoin said:

We had been doing that. The copper pipe joint came loose(unsoldered) at a 90. Poor craftsmanship from when the house was built. The pipe may have been leaking or dripping prior to the Texas Polar Vortex of 2021. My plumber nickname is Leaky. But, I got it soldered back up.

Good job Leaky ;) you saved a small fortune, plumbers aren’t cheap.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even for Colorado, one of the coldest on record and driest...
    Wray got to -26 no wind chill on Monday!!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@BryceM said:
    Knowing how to sweat a copper connection is a life skill that has saved my caboose more than a few times in life. Thanks plumbing merit-badge counselor.

I even did it without catching the house on fire or watching a YouTube video.

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Even for Colorado, one of the coldest on record and driest...
    Wray got to -26 no wind chill on Monday!!!

That’s insane period

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file