Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tip of the day - Protect your slabs cheaply

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 23, 2021 6:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I started doing this .. umm I will not date myself . But you know when you buy new electronics and that clear plastic you peel from the screen. I cut it up in rounds and put it on my slabs. They then avoid scrapes and abrasions. Cheap and easy.

***BTW any and all royalties by PCGS and NGC can be paid to me with free grading fees when you create and market said invention.

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

If my slabs aren't in their respective boxes, then they are transported or shown in similar bags...

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would these help prevent scuffing as seen with the new cardboard boxes?

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a good idea... They are patented and sold by several dealers myself and Bob Paul https://www.bobpaulrarecoins.com/slabguards

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slab Caddy?
    I tried finding information here and couldn't.
    Anyone?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use anything.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

koynekwest, thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of these, just ordered a couple pkgs.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 2:21PM

When I started doing lot viewing at major auctions

part of the problem is transportation, I see the same thing at shows with dealers. stacking coins for transport is the worst thing to do but it's just not feasible for a big dealer to have 10-20 or more PCGS type boxes.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    I don't use anything.

:'(

peacockcoins

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2021 3:37PM

I use the non-lubricated version of these. Haven't had an accident yet! ;) The Guardhouse has a flap that gets in the way of my business. The Ultra-Pro fit the slabs snuggly but comfortably. Easy to slide off to view the coin and slide back on.

Yes, I am talking about coin slabs.

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve noticed recently that some of the higher end coins I’ve purchased have come in these protective sleeves. Pretty nice way to protect slabs. So many older slabs look like they’ve been run over by a dump truck full of pea gravel.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always handle slabs by the edges, just as I do when handling coins. Unfortunately not everyone has the courtesy to do that.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2021 11:39PM

@keets said:
    shades of Russ and the slab caddy!! :p

Where is Russ? One of the few members I have actually met in person. BTW - totally legal for me to side track my own post. ;)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used these sleeves for years and promoted them. But I found that over time the tight fit caused fine hairlines on slabs. Stuff you could polish away. But why deal with it?

So I tossed them and went with these zip-loc reclosable bags, 4-mil. Much better.

Lance.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@keets said:

Where is Russ? One of the few members I have actually met in person. BTW - totally legal for me to side track my own post. ;)

Unfortunately Russ passed away years ago. Sorely missed by many.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Rick Snow has been putting clear plastic discs on some of his slabs for a long time. You can buy clear static cling vinyl sheets and a circle cutter and make them yourself. Jeff Bezos is selling a 50 pack of 9x12 sheets for $20, which should be good for about 1000 discs. Not sure how good the material is optically, though.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2021 9:30AM

That’s a great idea. But aren’t some of those static cling sheets made of PVC? If so, is there any possibility of the PVC plasticizers either volatilizing and making a corrosive gas in a confined slab box or migrating into the slab? I doubt it, but it’s not impossible.

Mr_Spud

• Options

@Cameonut said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@keets said:

Oh shit ... I did not know. Dang I really liked that man.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

@Cameonut said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@keets said:

Found the announcement thread from October 2016. It's full of lots of memories and more.
    Russ Stringham "Russ" Has passed away.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/970910/russ-stringham-russ-has-passed-away/p1

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

200 bags for $6 at Michael's

https://michaels.com/search?q=baggies

I scissor off the ziplok portion to ensure breathing space for my slabs.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use these, but then I only have about 49 slabs :)

Made in USA

Bags will hold all NGC and PCGS small coin slabs, except for piedfort

This 3 1/4"x 4" storage bag (3 mil) is made from Corrosion Intercept®.

Storage bags are specifically designed to hold coins encapsulated by the grading companies

Protection: Corrosion barrier for all metals, fungus and bacteria inhibitor

Type: Translucent Polyethylene packaging material

Expected Corrosion Protection Term: 5 Years

Environment: Excellent; #4 recyclable, reusable, low carbon footprint

Description: Corrosion Intercept ®

Seal: - Zipper
    http://shop.coinarmour.com/3-1-4-x-4-Coin-Storage-Bags-Click-Image-for-Product-Detail-001.htm

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@WinLoseWin said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@Cameonut said:

@Clackamas1 said:

@keets said:

Found the announcement thread from October 2016. It's full of lots of memories and more.
    Russ Stringham "Russ" Has passed away.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/970910/russ-stringham-russ-has-passed-away/p1

Thank you. I read them all. I regret not having posted on the thread. the 'You Suck" comments brought a smile to my face. I remember when I made the first FS 68-D Jeff I got a big "YOU SUCK" from Russ.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file