Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Hank Aaron (1934 - 2021)

VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

Passed away this morning at the age of 86.

RIP to one of the greats.

Post some cards if you got them and lets remember the legend today and always.

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

21’ is off to a terrible start. Rip the king.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

What a great athlete and man the baseball world lost. RIP

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    kingnascarkingnascar Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

Seems like every day now, I lose a piece of my childhood :'(
    RIP Hammerin Hank <3

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will always be the HR King. Got to see him play and hit a HR in the Cooperstown HOF game in 1963.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

A baseball immortal.

Rest In Peace, Henry.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

My All Time favorite baseball hero. The True Home Run King and a great man. RIP. What a bummer.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back about 25 years or so the baseball memorabilia guys were frequently featured on QVC and HSN.

I only picked up a few special items during those shows, since most of it was overpriced.

One thing I got was an autographed Hank Aaron bat. It cost around $125 or maybe a little more.

I never regretted that purchase.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

NOOOO!
    RIP Mr. Aaron. A Legend, the GOAT, a hero of the game.
    So sad to see the old-timers leaving us :(

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Back about 25 years or so the baseball memorabilia guys were frequently featured on QVC and HSN.

I only picked up a few special items during those shows, since most of it was overpriced.

One thing I got was an autographed Hank Aaron bat. It cost around $125 or maybe a little more.

I never regretted that purchase.

I have that bat too!!!

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

@JBrules said:
    So sad. RIP Hank Aaron!!! One of my all-time favorite players.

Oh, my goodness, what a sad, sad day.
    On a note less somber, that Aaron card, graded a 4.5 is an astoundingly clean and pretty copy SO far above the grade assigned in terms of appearance. Just a "wow" card to be very proud of.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Hank was a gentleman and, by all accounts, a stellar teammate. The two highest honors a man can achieve in my world. He will be sorely missed, but how he lived will, most definitely, carry on.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

A great ballplayer and from all accounts a great man. I am deeply saddened by his passing. I am thankful for what he did on the baseball field and more thankful for what he shared about his ordeal in passing Babe Ruth. The hatred he was sent on a daily basis shows the worst of human behavior - his persevering and breaking the record shows the best. As a kid I remember watching something where Aaron talked about those letters. I was (and am) a huge baseball fan and loved learning the history of the game. It was the first time racism really hit home for me. Being a white male - I do not encounter what most in this country do. I could not believe people would hate someone just based on the color of their skin and hate them so much they would send letters like that. It was jarring to me - and I never forgot it. I cannot come close to sharing how much respect I have for him. RIP Hank Aaron - you are missed.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember watching him as a kid, and my dad put us in front of the TV when he broke the record and said you may see history recorded now. My son wears number 44 and has always worn it since he was 7 years old. He was just asking about us buying an Aaron rookie because he wants to finish his Aaron run - poof! That ain’t happening now.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 2:03PM

• Options
    1966CUDA1966CUDA Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭

OMG.... 2021 is starting off where 2020 ended! So sad! RIP Hank.

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 10:41AM

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Patrick

• Options
    edited January 22, 2021 10:48AM

and so forth thru the rest of the run. dont wanna hijack it, so will end it with this.....

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@maddux69 said:
    I am at a loss for words, I admired him on so many levels. From seeing what he overcame to play baseball professionally, to the feats he achieved on the field, as well as the battles he faced with racism and his role in the civil rights movement. Forever in our hearts ❤️

Awesome, awesome collection!!
    I'm not an SJW, however it's sad what our black athletes had to endure pre-civil rights and beyond.
    Had to be the best of the best to make the league.
    Kudos to JR for breaking the ice. "42" one of my favorite movies!

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    LGCLGC Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

RIP Mr. Aaron. Always classy and always a gentleman.

His 1955 Bowman card is my favorite collectible of his.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Rest in Peace Hank, what a player. Didn't know he was ill. Saw him play when he came to LA to play the dodgers.

• Options
    Kepper19Kepper19 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    Summer 1983. My parents drag me to a flea market. I have no desire going but no choice. Once there, I go hunting around the tents to see if any dealers have baseball cards. Very few do, but happen upon one that has a couple good ones. Including a 1954 Henry Aaron where he’s asking $35. I run and find my parents, begging them to lend me the money, because the card is worth “ten times that”. They hesitate, because it’s one thing to get me a pack at the grocery store, quite another for $35 on a single card. But I got it, putting my future paper route receipts up as collateral. And for a variety of reasons, it is still the favorite card in my collection almost 40 years later.

RIP Hank

Awesome!

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know that last year he fell and hurt his hip after slipping on some ice, but I didn't think he has had any health issues lately. Having sent a few items through his signings with Waukesha Sportscards, I am glad that I was able to contribute to his Chasing the Dream foundation.

1/22/21 added together equals 44, Hank forever leaving his mark. RIP Hammer

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

RIP. A true gentleman and the true home run king!

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I saw him get inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1982. RIP Hank Aaron...

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Such a great loss. One of the best, if not the best. He will be missed.

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Very sad day.

While it had to be terrible to endure the hate thrown his way during his chase for the record, I hope he realized the untold numbers of kids that were rooting so hard for his success.

In 1973, the Philadelphia Inquirer would cover every game Aaron homered in on the front page of the sports section, highlighted by a hammer with the homerun number in it. I kept a (now long gone) scrapbook of those articles that season. I was nine.
    I remember watching him hit his 700th on TV against the Phillies. Later in the season, when the Braves came in, I begged my dad to take me to Hank Aaron night and he did. The giveaway poster was on my wall through high school (surviving a move to Houston) as was a Hank Aaron pennant my dad bought me.

As a Phillies fan, I feel this loss as heavily as Richie Ashburn and Harry Kalas. Like someone else said, there goes another piece of my childhood.

• Options
    rhilbelirhilbeli Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

Class act all around. The player that got me back into collecting. Below is an item that hung in the front room of my grandparents house for as long as I can remember, until I inherited it this year. They ran a hunting preserve on their farm located north of Milwaukee, and the front room also served as a lounge/reception area for the hunters. Hank and some other Braves used to come up to hunt in the early 60's. I have never seen another full signature. RIP Henry Louis Aaron.

My Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame Registry Set

"The Packers are kinda like your kids. You dont love them because they are good, you love them because they are yours"
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

Very sad, one of my true heroes.

On April 8, 1974, I was 15 years old and my family (12 year old sister, mom & dad) were on vacation at the Highland Springs Resort in Cherry Valley CA, about 90 miles east of Los Angeles where I grew up. I was watching the Dodger game and my folks and sister were getting impatient to go to the dining hall for dinner. I pleaded to them to wait since Hank was coming up in the next inning. They begrudgingly agreed and I got to see the Hammer hit his 715th off of Downing. I'll never forget it.

In tribute, here are my favorite Hank Aaron cards from my collection:

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

Hammerin' Hank's consistency, character and dignity were remarkable.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

I was lucky enough too have met him. A true gentleman who never looked for fame.

_