Home Metal Detecting
Options

Grading coins found detecting.

Have any of you had coins graded that you dug? How did it turn out if you did?
I found a few coins I thought would be worth grading but don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it. Here are two I found a few weeks ago.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeusXP .... Welcome aboard... Those are nice coins.... However, if you have cleaned them, they likely will not grade. Now, much depends on HOW you cleaned them. If just soaked in a mild solution or rinsed with hot water, then likely no marks will show....other than normal wear marks. I would suggest you post them (with good pictures) on the coin forum and ask for opinions. The feedback you get there will tell you if investing in grading will be worth it. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a nice 1893-O Barber dime that straight graded at VF25, You have to be VERY careful not to hairline a dug coin so my guess most would come back in a details holder. Good luck and congratulations on the great finds.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a good dig there, i like

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice find. did they come out of the same hole? or were they in come sort of cointainer?

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good question. There are coins in graded slabs from good on up, more importantly you don't want to cause damage that would make any grade mute. No rubbing. Soaking in mild soapy water might allow encrusted dirt to fall away from the coin but there's no guarantee. The cost to ship, insure and grade is self explanatory. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fantastic matched pair! They look to have been nearly Mint State when lost! Amazing find!

As mentioned, you'll want to be very careful in your preliminary cleaning, and make sure to limit that to the removal of loose soil only. With dug coins, you always run the risk of getting a "details" grade for "environmental damage", but that's just the lay of the land, so to speak. At least with silver, I suppose you've got a chance at a straight grade.

I've never submitted any of my finds for third-party grading, knowing that most would receive that enviro-damage verdict (not to mention that most are not worth the expense), but I have thought of sending off one or two of the special ones, for purely sentimental reasons.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@pocketpiececommems said:
    nice find. did they come out of the same hole? or were they in come sort of cointainer?

The coins were not in the same hole but were only a few feet apart. Both coins only 1 inch deep.
    All I did to these coins is spray them with water.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeusXP said:
    Have any of you had coins graded that you dug? How did it turn out if you did?
    I found a few coins I thought would be worth grading but don't want to spend the money if it isn't worth it. Here are two I found a few weeks ago.

Wow, nice finds. :)
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

there in good shape to, i like

• Options
    EdGOhioEdGOhio Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

The half dime (actually both) are very nice and value wise the better of the 2 but judging by the images a chance they'd come back with"environmental damage" is very possible.
    I'd try to get a closer (and cropped) image of the half dime and post on the Q & A forum or the U.S. coin forum for a opinion by that crew.
    Regardless of outcome these are a very cool find. Congrats.

Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.

• Albert Einstein
  • Options
    Ron1968Ron1968 Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited January 20, 2021 9:35AM

Here is a 1920 D I found with my detector. It seemed to be in decent shape and I wasn’t sure if joining PCGS and then paying for shipping and grading would be worth it. I showed the coins to a dealer and a collector. Also showed it it here in the forums and I sent it in to PCGS. It is definitely worth more than I payed for joining, shipping and grading. here is a 1918 S that i found a few days ago. It is worn enough for a novice like me to know it wouldn’t be worth spending the time and money on. It’s a cool metal detector find either way! Your coins look to be in much better shape than my 1918!

• Options

That 1920 WLH is a very nice coin.... and the 1918 is still a great find...Is there a mint mark on the reverse? Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited January 19, 2021 1:19PM

Hi Ricko, it’s an S mint Walker

• Options

@Ron1968 ... Wow... very nice...Thanks for the picture/reply. Cheers, RickO

• Options

The 1918 has a lot of wear that the 1920 doesn’t have. I’m glad to have it though. Ron

• Options

I sent in a 1905-P Barber dime I found metal detecting many years ago today with some other stuff to get graded. Might straight grade, au condition. I will let everyone know what happens. Not worth much, just curious if it will straight grade.

• Options

Hopefully it will come back with a good grade!

• Options

@No Headlights.... Best of luck with your submission....Be sure to let us know what happens. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice ... if cleaned not so good.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    I sent in a 1905-P Barber dime I found metal detecting many years ago today with some other stuff to get graded. Might straight grade, au condition. I will let everyone know what happens. Not worth much, just curious if it will straight grade.

Received grades today. Came back XF cleaned. Not real surprised All other coins graded as expected. Wish it was Spring!

• Options

Nice try though... XF is an interesting grade.... Let it tarnish and resubmit it... likely straight grade then. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate watching metal detectorists dig for coins. They, overwhelmingly, always want to rub the dirt off. They do not get it through their thick heads that this is a no no. It should never be rubbed between your fingers with dirt on the coin....quick way of ruining it.

Your's look very nice but without the close ups nobody can tell. Does not take much to ruin it for grading and value.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:
    I hate watching metal detectorists dig for coins. They, overwhelmingly, always want to rub the dirt off. They do not get it through their thick heads that this is a no no. It should never be rubbed between your fingers with dirt on the coin....quick way of ruining it.

Your's look very nice but without the close ups nobody can tell. Does not take much to ruin it for grading and value.

bob :)

I agree. It's very difficult to get the soil off a detector found coin without scratching it. This is particularly true with silver coins. I did find a really nice 1893-O dime a couple years ago that did straight grade.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the past couple years I've been carrying a food storage bag filled with distilled water and paper towels to keep the dirty coins wet until I get home. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭

What is your preferred method for removing the dirt? ive seen a couple different methods - I really didn't care for either.

• Options

I used to carry a separate container of water for coins when I was hunting them.... dropped the coins in the jar to soak until I got home. Then I would rinse them under hot, running water. If there were organic residues not removed by the water, they got an acetone soak (will not attack metal, only organics). Cheers, RickO