Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Idea for the US mint - now that pucks are done after this year. 5 OZ HR Saint in silver

Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy that in a heart beat - thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea. I find the pucks too big for my taste but that might tempt me to get one. On that, though, maybe a 5oz gold version? That would be impressive to see and I’d imagine stackers would be all over it.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to imagine that happening but I would be a buyer! A 5 ounce St Gaudens, if done right, would be quite a sight.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

the thickness of the 3" 5oz pucks won't lend itself to high relief

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    the thickness of the 3" 5oz pucks won't lend itself to high relief

make the diameter smaller.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

quick note- 5 oz pucks aren't done after this year - they'll kick back up w the release of the great american women [or whatever they'll call that series] quarters - and hopefully they'll have some offerings between then and now

that being said, a 5 oz HR saint would be sick, esp w a smaller diameter

the uk mint made their queens beasts 10 oz proofs the same diameter as their 5 oz proofs, just twice as thicc, and it's quite a coin to [be]hold

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

A silver HR Saint G. would be really nice... Maybe a smaller diameter or more silver.. to give it substance and make the HR significant. Great idea...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

I think the half dollars, with the 2020 coin redesign act, are getting pucks too with the ‘youth sports’ series and maybe the 250th anniversary of independence series too. It will be puck heaven...

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2021 8:07AM

Starting in 2022 you will have just as many pucks per year (probably more than 5) as the previous ATB series.

You will NOT have a Washington crossing the Delaware puck however.

Only 1 puck in 2021...

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's nice to have you back, clack, but this one's a little wack-a-doodle.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RedStorm said:
    I think the half dollars, with the 2020 coin redesign act, are getting pucks too with the ‘youth sports’ series and maybe the 250th anniversary of independence series too. It will be puck heaven...

oh man - a 5 oz Kennedy- that's what I'm talking about!

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    Here is my privately-minted (not legal tender) 50mm 100-gram (3+ troy oz) 999 silver version:

I have contemplated doing this as a 5-troy-oz 999 gold piece (using the same dies as the silver, but with different edge marking "5 TROY OZ . 999 GOLD" instead of "100 GRAMS 999 SILVER").

Nice. Any particular reason you used five-pointed stars rather than six?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

@dcarr said:
    Here is my privately-minted (not legal tender) 50mm 100-gram (3+ troy oz) 999 silver version:

I have contemplated doing this as a 5-troy-oz 999 gold piece (using the same dies as the silver, but with different edge marking "5 TROY OZ . 999 GOLD" instead of "100 GRAMS 999 SILVER").

Nice. Any particular reason you used five-pointed stars rather than six?

There are a total of 50 of them - like on the current USA flag.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file