Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

CoinArchives and ACSearch

Do you subscribe to one, both or neither? I have been on ACSearch but wonder about CoinArchives. The cost is much greater but seemingly the database may be more expansive. Any experience?

Comments

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have ACSearch and it has been invaluable to me since I collect German coins. I personally feel like ACSearch is very expensive relative to how much I spend on coins. CoinArchives would be prohibitively expensive, even if it is good.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for that bit.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I use Coin Archives often and find it very helpful.

Besides finding upcoming auction lots and researching prices from prior auctions, another nice feature is being able to search part or all of a legend to quickly identify coins that you are unfamiliar with.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stella said:

Besides finding upcoming auction lots and researching prices from prior auctions, another nice feature is being able to search part or all of a legend to quickly identify coins that you are unfamiliar with.

Do you pay the $600 annually?

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Stella said:

I use Coinarchives Pro and yes I pay them for the service .... for the coins you buy you should consider paying for their service as well

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

@bidask said:

@Boosibri said:

@Stella said:

I use Coinarchives Pro and yes I pay them for the service .... for the coins you buy you should consider paying for their service as well

Debating it, I just dont know if it is materially different or better than acsearch for $80

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the free ACS and I think is awfully expensive so do not pay. I enjoy doing the searches myself so no paying...

Brian call coinarchives and speak to the owner and get your questions answered

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use and pay for both, in part for slightly different feature-sets and to support the developers.

• CoinArchives offers more complex queries and is generally easier to handle for filtering/sorting. They had much broader coverage than ACSearch for a while but ACSearch has indeed caught up after some auction houses began to permit them to use their data. CoinArchives includes results from yet-to-close sales as well which can help when searching.

• ACSearch has digitized some older catalogs which has been a nice feature, although the OCRing leaves a bit to be desired. Their "Image Search" tool does a decent job at finding die matches/similar coins. The ability to comment on coins is also a plus.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the "average" collector (or of average means, that would be a "NO"). Congrats for those on higher budgets though!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • EuclidEuclid Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 7:38AM

Can anyone clarify whether the paid version of either search actually shows you more auction results for the same query than the free version? For example older results, or ones from more firms.

The paid version of ACSearch does seem to include older results, but it's a small fraction of the overall results. Perhaps the number of old catalogues will increase over time.

"Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am i the only one using coinarchives / acsearch to identify auction house, sale and lot # and then look up the actual lot through sixbid's archive function to see prices realized?

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Am i the only one using coinarchives / acsearch to identify auction house, sale and lot # and then look up the actual lot through sixbid's archive function to see prices realized?

your way ahead of me in your search....i have been meaning to ask you what is WAG ?

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

your way ahead of me in your search....i have been meaning to ask you what is WAG ?

It is a German auction house which has very frequent auctions with some diamonds in the rough as 2K has found. but I wouldn't encourage you to look at their sales lest you bid on any lots I am interested in :)

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

It is a German auction house which has very frequent auctions with some diamonds in the rough as 2K has found. but I wouldn't encourage you to look at their sales lest you bid on any lots I am interested in :)

ok thank you your both gentleman
    :)

edited January 15, 2021 11:56AM

@TwoKopeiki said:

That's what I used to do, and it works for most things. I eventually ran into enough items I couldn't find elsewhere that I gave in and bought the sub.

• StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:

@Stella said:

Well, I am lucky enough to have access through my work as a professional numismatist! So that helps.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm, WAG always meant "Wild ASS Guess" to me.

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

@amwldcoin said:
    Hmmmm, WAG always meant "Wild ASS Guess" to me.

@Boosibri said:

@bidask said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Kind of what you are doing when bidding blind in these WAG auctions