Home Q & A Forum
Options

Does PCGS grade coins in first day coin covers?

AlanLastufkaAlanLastufka Posts: 188 ✭✭✭✭

I know NGC does this. They place them in their banknote holders. I did a quick search and couldn't find any information on whether PCGS will or not. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are talking about the cardboard packaging that mint sets and proof sets arrive in?
    Not sure anyone was actually understanding the question.
    PCGS doesn't include any of the original coin packaging when it's placed in their holder after grading, A new PCGS coin label is created for inside the sealed plastic holder.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Are talking about the cardboard packaging that mint sets and proof sets arrive in?
    Not sure anyone was actually understanding the question.
    PCGS doesn't include any of the original coin packaging when it's placed in their holder after grading, A new PCGS coin label is created for inside the sealed plastic holder.

I'm talking about these. Across the street, they grade them in the same holders they use for banknotes. I had this hand signed by both the obverse and reverse designers of the coin and would like to have it protected and in my registry if possible.

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the exact answer, I know they do make special holders for things but I think they decide when that happens...I would contact PCGS customer service and ask.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanLastufka

Just curious, did you ever get an answer on the 'first day covers'?

• Options

@MetroD said:
    @AlanLastufka

Just curious, did you ever get an answer on the 'first day covers'?

I did not.

• Options

@AlanLastufka said:
    I did not.

Found a 2007 article that referenced coin covers at https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-revises-guidance-for-first-day-of-issue-presidential-dollars

Two salient points:
    ~ The FDoI 'designation/label' appears to have been available only through the 'bulk submission' program (i.e., a 100 coin minimum).
    ~ The article specifically says that they were working on "an option for encapsulating the entire cover".

If you are still interested in having PCGS do this, as opposed to NGC, it might be worth a call to customer service.

Good Luck !!!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

hmmm. it'd be something like enclosing a GSA soft pack.

I think the only limit to this would be demand for the service.

asking customer service on the phone would probably have the asking for a picture. try an email to CS with the picture and a link to that article.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    [...]
    asking customer service on the phone would probably have the asking for a picture. try an email to CS with the picture and a link to that article.

Valid point about potentially having to e-mail additional information after telephoning (e.g., an image of a 'coin cover'). That said, based on my experience, I would still recommend calling first. Allow me to explain.

By calling first, you:
    ~ interact with a CS Rep in real-time. This two-way communication typically results in some immediate knowledge transfer. Admittedly, it may not completely 'close' the issue, but at least there is some progress.
    ~ can get a name and e-mail address for a specific CS Rep for follow-up purposes (e.g., JDoe@Collectors.com). Then, when an e-mail is necessary, you can send it directly to, and follow-up with, a 'specific/named' CS Rep, not just the generic CS e-mail account.

FWIW - I have had 'better/faster' results when I initiate contact via telephone. YMMV.