Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS Conservation Process

Hi All,

Just wondering what or if there is success with PCGS conservation service removing carbon spots off copper coins ?

Is it possible to remove carbon sports or is it detrimental to the coin, forever ?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, carbon spots have eaten into the surface of the coin. Dark toning spots are not carbon spots. Carbon spots are raised black specks that are caused from spittle that didn't get rinsed off, or something that was in the surface of the coin, etc.
    I will not buy a coin with carbon spots unless it is something I absolutely must have because it is in a Doily holder, etc.

thefinn
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pix might help. Generally, I would agree that copper carbon spots are forever. There is no help.
    Lance.

• jt88jt88 Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard that for copper coin conservation NGC do a better job than pcgs.

• Thanks for the replies.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 4:22AM

@jt88 said:
    I heard that for copper coin conservation NGC do a better job than pcgs.

I don't know about copper coins but they did a nice job on 3 CC gold coins I had. One went up 1 grade.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before and after. Tho it's not copper, I think they did a helluva job on my Peace dollar. It went up by a point from MS62 to MS63.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I the only one that likes the before coin better than the after coin 1921 Peace dollar?
    @koynekwest How much did they charge you to dip your coin?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see much improved surface appearance. Pvc removal was your primary victory. Is that a carbon spot in the rays crown? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    I see much improved surface appearance. Pvc removal was your primary victory. Is that a carbon spot in the rays crown? Peace Roy

Where do you see PVC? I only see toning.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't the green blobs at nostril and cheek hairline pvc?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@Namvet69 said:
    Isn't the green blobs at nostril and cheek hairline pvc?

It's quite possible. Acetone could have removed those two spots without taking off any toning.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see four of those green spots in the 'before' shot.... and all gone in the TruView... Judging by the change, I would say they used more than just acetone... Cheers, RickO

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 2:53PM

I sent it in to remove those tiny green spots. I can't remember what it cost (at any rate the cost of conservation was offset by the one point increase in grade) but I usually dip my own coins when necessary, which is almost never. I also sent a bronze MacNeil medal in for conservation. It, too had the green spot problem. I won't mess with copper on my own. I like both items much better after than before.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've used the conservation service several times. But only once for copper and it was around 10 years ago. The below IHC had some small verdigris spots that I knew would continue to eat away at the coin.

PCGS did a good job treating the problem areas. But I had mixed feelings about the coin's change in appearance. Other conserved coins were silver and treated to remove PVC and the results were excellent. No noticeable change in appearance.

Copper is tricky and conservation can be risky.
    Lance.

Before and after...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file