Home U.S. Coin Forum

My first Sacagawea!

Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited January 13, 2021 8:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just picked received this one today. I am not sure if I am going to build a complete set or just keep this one. I don’t have the funds to have fancy coins like some of you here so I am happy with this one. I would much rather have an attractive women like sacagawea on a coin than our ugly presidents who agrees?

Comments

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a nice looking coin. Good pick up.

• Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭

Thanks! I know I am not supposed to buy the label but I love the portrait of Sacagawea on the ngc holder. Just a nice bonus

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice coin.
    Congrats!

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sac dollars are an affordable set to assemble. In my opinion, the design is far and away the best of our current coinage and one of the better designs period. A complete set of proofs won't break the bank. You have a good start on it.

I also completed a set of state quarters and America the beautiful quarters (except 2021). Currently collecting silver pandas and Philippines pesos too

Does anyone here know what causes these spots at around 2 o’clock?

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be anything while it was raw and not yet encapsulated. People speaking over raw coins and spraying spittle was a real problem before slabs.

Do you think the spots developed after it was graded ? Or does the grade take the spots into consideration? I’m curious to see if it’s like milk spots on silver eagles.

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a milk spot. The manganese in the Sac/Pres dollars causes a terrible issue with the metals. It looks like something got on it before it was encapsulated and it grew. I would find a replacement - you will always notice the problem - like a giant hairy mole on your partner's cheek.

thefinn

@thefinn said:
    It's not a milk spot. The manganese in the Sac/Pres dollars causes a terrible issue with the metals. It looks like something got on it before it was encapsulated and it grew. I would find a replacement - you will always notice the problem - like a giant hairy mole on your partner's cheek.

Haha I was thinking that too maybe I should replace it. I didn’t notice the spots at first now I’m starting to not like the coin 😆

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first Sacajawea got me the nickname : "Cheerio Joe". Imagine that.

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

Nice pick up! It is a good, affordable series for any collector.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a cool start. You'll do well with it if you pursue it :)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

Real nice Sac, now that you've noticed the spots you're gonna avoid spotty Sacs in the future. BTCNTH is a helpful thought. The hunt continues. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those spots will - in your eyes - become ever larger, each time you look at the coin....Best to sell it and get a new one. Sacagawea's are nice coins and underrated IMO...Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! :)B)

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one! :)

Thanks am I being too picky that I want to sell it because of the brown spots ? 😂

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    Thanks am I being too picky that I want to sell it because of the brown spots ? 😂

Not at all. It's your peace of mind at stake. If you will sleep better with a cleaner coin then go for it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file