Home U.S. Coin Forum

1827 bust halves are my thing...

OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again, I broke down and purchased an upgrade to my hoard of 27's.

I may never break the habit, but I guess someone has to buy them.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

Comments

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why 1827’s?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Because when I first started collecting by Overton number people kept telling me that 1827s were impossible to attribute since there were so many die marriages for the year. Many people still say so.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser said:
    Because when I first started collecting by Overton number people kept telling me that 1827s were impossible to attribute since there were so many die marriages for the year. Many people still say so.

And you responded ... "Challenge accepted!"

1827s are a bear, but the feeling when you finally attribute that "impossible" coin is magical! :)

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

NEVER tell me I can't do something! LOL

• GoBustGoBust Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly if your going to pick a year 1827 is a great choice with four major varieties 1827/6 overdates (O-101,O-102,O-103), 1827 large letters reverse (O-137), 1827 square 2 (most all marriages) and 1827 curl 2 (O-146,O-147). No less then 49 die marriages with the uber rare O-148 and die marriage set key O-149. Have you looked for the dotted star or dotted beak varities? For some reason 1827 had far more die marriages than any other year of lettered edge capped bust halves.

Its much less common for bust half collectors to collect by date; however, its a great idea and much simpler than chasing 453 die marriages of lettered edge halves. But chasing the 1827 set of 49 die marriages is way more challenging than for example 1807 with 4 die marriages. How many die marriages have you netted so far? Or are you just going for quality species specimens without regard to die marriage. Or perhaps your also doing die states! Keep heading fun.

Now, John...you know better than that.

@GoBust said:
    Certainly if your going to pick a year 1827 is a great choice with four major varieties 1827/6 overdates (O-101,O-102,O-103), 1827 large letters reverse (O-137), 1827 square 2 (most all marriages) and 1827 curl 2 (O-146,O-147). No less then 49 die marriages with the uber rare O-148 and die marriage set key O-149. Have you looked for the dotted star or dotted beak varities? For some reason 1827 had far more die marriages than any other year of lettered edge capped bust halves.

Its much less common for bust half collectors to collect by date; however, its a great idea and much simpler than chasing 453 die marriages of lettered edge halves. But chasing the 1827 set of 49 die marriages is way more challenging than for example 1807 with 4 die marriages. How many die marriages have you netted so far? Or are you just going for quality species specimens without regard to die marriage. Or perhaps your also doing die states! Keep heading fun.

Yes, I love the anticipation of turning over a dotted beak reverse and hoping... ;). As for marriages, I have all the 27's except for the 3 big ones.

Overall, I'm at 81 DM's for the series. Maybe if I didn't own 200 or so 27s I'd be able to hit the magic 100 mark. I'll get there someday.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 12:04PM

I hope @okbustchaser doesn't mind our crashing his party.

Here are a couple of tough ones.

The first is an O.122 PCGS-CAC AU58+ (R5). An ex-Frederick and @gobust coin.

And the second is the "uber rare" O.148 PCGS VF35 (R6), found raw by @coin22lover who had it graded before selling it to Dave Kahn who sold it to me.
    Lance.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 1:01PM

1827 is a good year year for Bust half collectors. Plenty of very nice coins on the market and at a good price. Like you OKbustchaser I have a hard time turning down the 27's.......and the 28's! ........... and everything else before and after..................THE FEVER!

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser said:
    Once again, I broke down and purchased an upgrade to my hoard of 27's.

I may never break the habit, but I guess someone has to buy them.

Something is wrong with your coin....the 2 has a curly bottom. ;)

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went HAM on heritages last weekly auction and bought several 1827s. Why won’t they get here already 😭

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1827's are certainly a bear to attribute.

I only have one R-5, the rest I'm still waiting for.

I do have 31 of the 49 DM's.

and 13 of the R-4's

congrats on the hoard.

Frank

BHNC #203

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

cool busties all

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

and 13 of the R-4's

congrats on the hoard.

Look up the quick finder guide published in The John Reich Journal. It was one of the earlier years. Available on the Newman portal. It will forever change your perception on attributing the 1827 halves, especially after you add personal notes to it.

Also helpful is the Peterson Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

@Treashunt said:

and 13 of the R-4's

congrats on the hoard.

Look up the quick finder guide published in The John Reich Journal. It was one of the earlier years. Available on the Newman portal. It will forever change your perception on attributing the 1827 halves, especially after you add personal notes to it.

Also helpful is the Peterson Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars.

agreed, Peterson is excellent.

Frank

BHNC #203

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have way more 1934d peace dollars dollars than any one man should.

• I have a stupid number of 2002 proof coins. All from different sets, but I see one and I grab it :(
    Oh, and 1904-O Morgans.

I suppose that is the best part of collecting!

Evan Saltis in the real world.
    University of Maine
    Politics, food, numismatics, and Lithuanian/Slav genealogy.
    Feel free to contact me at any time!

Nice ones, Lance. It's always a pleasure when you "crash the party".
    Downtown, your O-109 is quite attractive--and an R-4 to boot.

It's nice to see that I am not the only one with a weird addiction to particular dates

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OKbustchaser .... "1827 bust halves are my thing..." It is good to have a 'thing'... ;):D Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file