Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS US Coin Forum stickering the CAC unstickerable.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC fills a rather wide niche in the coin market but understandably can't review everything. It would be a daunting task, probably beyond their ability in both volume of submissions and knowledge base. I suppose that is at least a partial reasoning for why they limit themselves as they do.

Who knows how well received my proposal will be and if anyone will participate, but it's meant for fun and entertainment only, nothing serious and hopefully nothing for anyone to get upset over. Members can post some sort of PCGS graded Numismatic item, preferably with a TrueView image and the grade(to save us the time of checking) and then members can give it a "Green" or a "Gold" sticker by using the like and agree buttons. Like=green and Agree=gold, the "lol" button can serve as a rejection. I know many members have some very exquisite Exonumia, so if nothing else we'll get to see some cool stuff.

To keep things easy I would suggest that each member who posts something only shows one image/post and that no one tries to post too many different items. I'll start with the first post, but if everyone thinks it's a stupid idea just hit the "lol" button here and I'll understand. :p

Al H.

Comments

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought you were talking about a CAC type service for moderns. Certainly there is a market for that type of service.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are certainly acceptable here, I only mentioned Exonumia since CAC tends to cover most US standard issues.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be fun, but any serious evaluation would require an in-hand evaluation of the item. It's too easy to hide stuff in photos.

that's why I suggested TV's to at least have a little consistency. the key word was fun......................but in the very short term it seems to be going over like a lead balloon. :p

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a thread you can check out that had a similar idea (although it used coins that are accepted by CAC):
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/to-cac-or-not-to-cac-official-game-thread.355470/

I like your idea too and it will be interesting to see if this takes off.

My vote was a "green" for your squared quarter. The picture suggests it is solid for the grade (in my view).

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if we don't have a TV? And what if its not PCGS graded, CAC does sticker NGC also?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

anytime you split something you have winners and losers. While CAC isn't part of the losers on this one, the hobby is. For there to be an "A" the world needs a lot of Cs and to have downward pressure on the vast majority of the hobby's assets isn't a great news story for the vast majority of the hobby's collectors even if liquidity is impacted more than values.

Let us call it value deflation and it affects holders of said coins greatly. Compared to grade inflation which hurts dealers by limiting the value of their "PQ" coins. At least that is what we hear over and over by the dealers who lament against that while maintaining that CAC is great for collectors who are impacted similarly. Some people simply focus too much on the money and not enough on the hobby.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    I thought you were talking about a CAC type service for moderns. Certainly there is a market for that type of service.

It already exists in the form of the QA sticker. Doesn't have the clout of CAC, but some people seem to use it.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinJunkie said:

@Clackamas1 said:

It already exists in the form of the QA sticker. Doesn't have the clout of CAC, but some people seem to use it.

Bit off track but don't forget about the Eye Appeal service, not sure how anyone could afford to use it but it is another sticker option.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2021 8:19AM

This will be my last one posted here-

1826 8 Reales (Durango Mint) graded AU53. This a closer call in terms of having a greater claim to being within the scope as 8 Reales were accepted in the United States until 1857.

Have some fun with this one...

EDITED with the following but leaving the prior text intact... This an AU50 - not 53- My mistake and my apologies for the error

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 4:04PM

I used to own this one, but sold it to HJB.
    Jim

Edited to add: Had conserved by NGC.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS 63

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

>
    >
    >

That's got to be the uglisest thing I've ever seen posted on this site. Thanks for sharing! :D

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:

@abcde12345 said:

>
    >
    >

That's got to be the uglisest thing I've ever seen posted on this site. Thanks for sharing! :D

That coin will give Ricko nightmares for weeks. :o

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

:#
    [runs back to dark side]

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    that's why I suggested TV's to at least have a little consistency. the key word was fun......................but in the very short term it seems to be going over like a lead balloon. :p

Or maybe a Zeppelin? B)

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I will post one... sorry, no TruViews...Cheers, RickO

Doesn't need a dip but a bit of slab renew certainly wouldn't hurt. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes - Ben Franklin's kite experiment worked, and now he's got the lightning burns to prove it!

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

1936 Peso Commem- Trueview attached and the grade is MS65+

I know I wrote that the 8R was going to be the last one but at that time I thought there would be more coins posted. So have fun with this one. I think Philippine coinage prior to 1945 is out of the realm of what CAC accepts and I anticipate someone will here will correct me if I am wrong.

As a disclaimer all three coins posted in this thread were purchased raw and submitted

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:
    Here is a bust quarter with the well known L countermark. CAC does not accept these, PCGS only grade them in the last 2 years, I crossed it from a NGC 53. It is bean worthy?

Best, SH

SH View

What does the "L" counter stamp represent?

GrandAm :)

What does the "L" counter stamp represent?

there is a variety of speculation centered around a religious group and "awards" at a "College" but nothing definitive enough to say with any certainty. the most correct answer is that nobody knows but the Numismatic community has accepted the coins as valuable and collectible.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file