Home Sports Talk

Which NFL franchise has the worst greatest QB of all time ?

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 12, 2021 4:23PM in Sports Talk

It can not be from a franchise that began after the year 1999.

Answer example - person X believes that Donovan McNabb is the best Eagles QB of all time, and no other team has a worst greatest starting QB than McNabb, so the Eagles are his answer.

Comments

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... Interesting question. Off the top of my head, I probably would have said the Buccaneers until Tom Brady signed with them this year.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take Ron Jaworski over McNabb.

McNabb couldn't complete a short pass to save his life.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 5:41PM

I might go with Mark Brunell and the Jaguars. Although Jake Delhomme and Cam Newton both made my life a living hell with the Panthers!

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whoever you pick for Tampa Bay. No, I'm not counting 1-year-and-counting Tom Brady.

Doug Williams? Steve DeBerg? Steve Young (who wasn't good in Tampa)? Vinny? Brad Johnson?

Yeah, Tampa Bay.

I want to make sure I understand the question here, so we're talking about the greatest quarterbacks in the history of each team? And out of those, who is the worst? So Mark Brunell would be the greatest quarterback in the history of the Jaguars, but he is probably not as good as McNabb was. So I would say the Jaguars. Is this what we're talking about? Somebody, anybody, help!!

@doubledragon said:
    I want to make sure I understand the question here, so we're talking about the greatest quarterbacks in the history of each team? And out of those, who is the worst? So Mark Brunell would be the greatest quarterback in the history of the Jaguars, but he is probably not as good as McNabb was. So I would say the Jaguars. Is this what we're talking about? Somebody, anybody, help!!

You're just upset that Goldenage is the early front runner for Poster of the Year, and you were hoping to win it two years in a row.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 10:48PM

@Goldenage said:
    It can not be from a franchise that began after the year 1999.

Answer example - person X believes that Donovan McNabb is the best Eagles QB of all time, and no other team has a worst greatest starting QB than McNabb, so the Eagles are his answer.

Edited because I originally asked for clarification, but I re read the question and now I understand it. Interesting question. I don't think doing it off the top of my head will work. I'll try to find a list.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

Yeah, tastes my understanding. I still say the Tampa guys are worse.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

You're just upset that Goldenage is the early front runner for Poster of the Year, and you were hoping to win it two years in a row.

I'm in the middle of a sport forum power struggle, and you're not helping matters steve! This new guy is kicking my a..!

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 3:39AM

My apologies for making the question unclear.

Stevek feels Jaworski is the best Eagles QB ever.

Stevek feels Billy Kilmer is the best Redskins QB ever.

He thinks of other bests for each team.

Then he comes up with who he feels is the worst QB of that entire group.

Therefore, he comes up with the “worst greatest” QB.

That franchise is awarded the prize for having the worst greatest QB of all time.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore Ravens Joe Flacco. I know Lamar Jax is a Raven but he hasn’t played long enough yet

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I'm in the middle of a sport forum power struggle, and you're not helping matters steve! This new guy is kicking my a..!

If Goldenage begins using clever interesting memes better than yours, then your reign as Poster of the Year may be in deep trouble.

Of course with me, posting talent and skill doesn't matter, i always offer my vote to the highest bidder. ;)

I don't recall the Lions having anything great.

What about the Patriots?

Come on now, it was just a joke. Please no profanity laced PM's from any Brady fans, okay?

History, guys... History!

The Lions had Bobby Layne. The Eagles had Sonny Jurgensen. Both HOF qbs.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2021 3:20PM

Don't we need a list of the greatest QB for each team first? I am just grasping at straws here, but toss out corrections:

Here's my rough shot at the NFC ...

Washington Football Team = Snead or Jurgensen ?
    Eagles = Jurgensen or McNabb ?
    Giants = Phil Simms or Eli Manning?
    Cowboys = Staubach or Aikman ?

Vikings = Fran Tarkington ?
    Packers = Starr or Aaron Rogers ?
    Bears = Sid Luckman or Cutler or Kramer ?
    Lions = Stafford or Layne ?

49ers = Joe Montana or Steve Young ?
    Rams = Roman Gabriel or Kurt Warner ?
    Seattle = Russell Wilson
    Cardinals = Jim Hart ?

Saints = Drew Brees
    Bucs = Tom Brady
    Falcons = Matt Ryan ?
    Panthers = Cam Newton

@AFLfan said:
    History, guys... History!

The Lions had Bobby Layne. The Eagles had Sonny Jurgensen. Both HOF qbs.

You're right, but Jurgensen had most of his great seasons with the Redskins.

I always think of Jurgensen more as a Redskin.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the Cincinnati Bengals it's probably a race to the bottom between Boomer Esiason and Ken Anderson.

edited January 13, 2021 12:55PM

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    Don't we need a list first of the greatest QB for each team first? I am just grasping at straws here, but toss out corrections:

Here's my rough shot at the NFC ...

Washington Football Team = Snead or Jurgensen ? - or Joe Theisman or Sammy Baugh
    Eagles = Jurgensen or McNabb ?
    Giants = Phil Simms or Eli Manning? - Charlie Conerly was pretty solid
    Cowboys = Staubach or Aikman ?

Vikings = Fran Tarkington ?
    Packers = Starr or Aaron Rogers ?
    Bears = Sid Luckman or Cutler or Kramer ?
    Lions = Stafford or Layne ?

49ers = Joe Montana or Steve Young ? - YA Tittle?
    Rams = Roman Gabriel or Kurt Warner ? - Bob Waterfield?
    Seattle = Russell Wilson - Jim Zorn?
    Cardinals = Jim Hart ?

Saints = Drew Brees
    Bucs = Tom Brady
    Falcons = Matt Ryan ? - Michael Vick?
    Panthers = Cam Newton

@keets said:
    with the Cincinnati Bengals it's probably a race to the bottom between Boomer Esiason and Ken Anderson.

I'd be curious to hear which one of these guys is considered there best ever. Both brought them to a Super Bowl.

edited January 13, 2021 11:23AM

@thisistheshow said:

@keets said:

I'd be curious to hear which one of these guys is considered there best ever. Both brought them to a Super Bowl.

Anderson was a 4 time pro bowler and league MVP one year.

He led his team to a 26-21 loss to San Fran in the Super Bowl.

I think he carried that team on his shoulders for many years.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldenage said:

@thisistheshow said:

@keets said:

Anderson was a 4 time pro bowler and league MVP one year.

He led his team to a 26-21 loss to San Fran in the Super Bowl.

I think he carried that team on his shoulders for many years.

Anderson' was VERY good

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

16 year career with four good years.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

Four GREAT years and it looks like he was a top 10 QB in 7-9 seasons in a lot of categories.

If you look at this category "NFL Approximate Value (Weighted) Career" Anderson is ranked right behind Dan Fouts and ahead of Warren Moon and Len Dawson.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

go into the woods and yell the name ken anderson and i guarantee you dallasactuary would appear out of nowhere

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    go into the woods and yell the name ken anderson and i guarantee you dallasactuary would appear out of nowhere

Wearing his Gene Tenace 72 throw back jersey

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    If you look at this category "NFL Approximate Value (Weighted) Career" Anderson is ranked right behind Dan Fouts and ahead of Warren Moon and Len Dawson.

... and Bob Griese, and Terry Bradshaw, and Troy Aikman, and Sonny Jurgensen, and Roger Staubach, and every single eligible QB in history who is not in the HOF.

@JoeBanzai said:
    Four GREAT years and it looks like he was a top 10 QB in 7-9 seasons in a lot of categories.

He was a top 10 QB in several more seasons than that, but he was on a bottom 10 team in those seasons so his stats aren't top 10. When your #1 receiver is Don Bass and you get sacked 46 times, I don't care who your QB is, you're going to lose a lot of games and your passing stats aren't going to shine.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

Well he should be ahead of Len Dawson because he had a 4 year head start.
    Dawson didn't get to become a starter until he was 27 because the Steelers and Browns are idiots
    and didn't know what they had. Anderson was a starter at age 23.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about one of you football experts post a list of the best QBs on the AFC teams.

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

Browns - Otto Graham
    You guys can argue about the other teams.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jets = Joe Namath

@Darin said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@keets said:

Well he should be ahead of Len Dawson because he had a 4 year head start.
    Dawson didn't get to become a starter until he was 27 because the Steelers and Browns are idiots
    and didn't know what they had. Anderson was a starter at age 23.

He's also ahead of Johnny Unitas!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    edited January 13, 2021 8:03PM

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

{in case this wasn't clear, Broadway Joe gets my vote for worst best}

because the Steelers and Browns are idiots

I can't speak for the Steelers but Dawson couldn't break through with the Browns because they had some bum by the name of Milt Plum doing just fine at QB. in 1960, Plum had a QB rating of 110.4 which stood as the NFL best until another guy by the name of Joe Montana surpassed him. FWIW, I think Dawson spent some time with Dallas before he settled into the starting job with the Chiefs where he established himself and went on to have a fabulous career.

sometimes, not always, but sometimes it just takes a few years for a QB to figure it out. during the time he played with Cleveland, the Browns were one of the pre-eminent NFL franchises who had some schmuck by the name of Paul Brown running the show. I will presume that Mr. Brown "knew what he had" and that Len Dawson wasn't up to starting ahead of Milt Plum. that can be argued, of course, but I'll take the opinion of Paul Brown over PCGS Sports Forum member Darin where this is concerned.

@JoeBanzai said:

He is, but for whatever reason they don't calculate AV until 1960, and Unitas played four seasons before then, most of them great seasons. If they had AV for those years, Unitas would be ahead of Anderson, and by a fair amount.

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:

He is, but for whatever reason they don't calculate AV until 1960, and Unitas played four seasons before then, most of them great seasons. If they had AV for those years, Unitas would be ahead of Anderson, and by a fair amount.

Why the heck doesn't the NFL with all their millions (billions?) go back and figure this stuff out?

Would like to see updated sack numbers so I could brag about my SB losing Vikings defense. ;-)

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    because the Steelers and Browns are idiots

I can't speak for the Steelers but Dawson couldn't break through with the Browns because they had some bum by the name of Milt Plum doing just fine at QB. in 1960, Plum had a QB rating of 110.4 which stood as the NFL best until another guy by the name of Joe Montana surpassed him. FWIW, I think Dawson spent some time with Dallas before he settled into the starting job with the Chiefs where he established himself and went on to have a fabulous career.

sometimes, not always, but sometimes it just takes a few years for a QB to figure it out. during the time he played with Cleveland, the Browns were one of the pre-eminent NFL franchises who had some schmuck by the name of Paul Brown running the show. I will presume that Mr. Brown "knew what he had" and that Len Dawson wasn't up to starting ahead of Milt Plum. that can be argued, of course, but I'll take the opinion of Paul Brown over PCGS Sports Forum member Darin where this is concerned.

All PCGS Sports Forum member Darin knows is that if Paul Brown would have let Dawson take over
    at QB when they acquired him he would have become Cleveland's greatest QB of all time instead of
    The Chiefs greatest. But the Steelers are the real idiots for picking him #5 overall and never giving him a chance.
    He did spend a year with Dallas but that was the Chiefs franchise before they moved to KC. The Dallas Texans.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Darin, we can't know whether he had that opportunity or not --- for certain. I will presume that since the Browns picked him up they saw something and gave him the chance to take over the starting QB job. ditto for the Steelers and ditto for the Texans. it shouldn't be a knock against those Teams that perhaps Len Dawson couldn't or didn't perform well enough within their schemes to be the starter. maybe he just needed time to make the transition, maybe he just needed to be with the right Team.

the conclusion I reach is that for his first four years Len Dawson wasn't able to perform at a high enough level to supplant the starting QB at Pittsburgh or Cleveland. he fit in at Kansas City and blossomed into a great player.

if that makes two franchises idiots and one franchise a genius, than so be it.

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

Namath worse than Jaworski or McNabb from the Eagles ?

@SanctionII said:
    How about one of you football experts post a list of the best QBs on the AFC teams.

Steelers - Bradshaw
    Oilers - Warren Moon
    Bills - Jim Kelly
    Raiders - Stabler

@Goldenage said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

Don't listen to Namath bashers. Some of whom don't even think that Namath should be in the Hall of Fame.

They don't know chit about football.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

Don't listen to Namath bashers. Some of whom don't even think that Namath should be in the Hall of Fame.

I know he was a freak ...
    https://youtu.be/T-H54s6Sbos

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

As some say, you couldn't tell the story of football without him.

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

@Goldenage said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

I know he was a freak ...

Likely it's Namath's off the field antics that disturbs some football fans. None of it ever bothered me, except for the kissing incident with Suzy Kolber which was disgusting to watch, and Namath later sincerely apologized for it.

Yes, Namath had somewhat of a "short" career compared to other Hall of Famers because of his well known knee problems, but when he was out there on the field, he was one helluva football player with heart and courage that should have the utmost respect of any football fan.

Probably it's the same crowd who proclaim that Sandy Koufax shouldn't be in the MLB Hall of Fame because of his lifetime stats which aren't as high as others. But those who don't understand Sandy's greatness, probably don't understand Joe's either.

@Goldenage said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

Is there any QB who played 100+ games with a worse TD/INT ratio than Namath? Serious question.
    Is there any other QB people think of as great with a lower QB rating than Namath? Serious question.

Yes, Namath was the QB on a SB winning team, but Lamonica was the best AFL QB that year - by a lot - and that would have been him quarterbacking a SB winning team if the Raiders had a running back worth a damn. The Raiders got to the AFL final, and almost won, because of Lamonica. If the Raiders and Jets trade running backs, Lamonica has the SB win, and the Jets probably don't make the playoffs.

Namath was a good QB, but never great.

@dallasactuary said:

@Goldenage said:

@dallasactuary said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Jets = Joe Namath

+1

Is there any QB who played 100+ games with a worse TD/INT ratio than Namath? Serious question.
    Is there any other QB people think of as great with a lower QB rating than Namath? Serious question.

Yes, Namath was the QB on a SB winning team, but Lamonica was the best AFL QB that year - by a lot - and that would have been him quarterbacking a SB winning team if the Raiders had a running back worth a damn. The Raiders got to the AFL final, and almost won, because of Lamonica. If the Raiders and Jets trade running backs, Lamonica has the SB win, and the Jets probably don't make the playoffs.

Namath was a good QB, but never great.

No possible way just a "good" QB beats that 13-1 Shula coached, extremely tough and heavily favored Colts team in Super Bowl III.

BTW in case you didn't know, Namath was the game MVP.

edited January 14, 2021 3:29PM

If the Raiders and Jets trade running backs, Lamonica has the SB win, and the Jets probably don't make the playoffs.

and if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle is the way the old saying goes. we can't know what might have been, only what happened and Namath won a SB and immortalized himself along the way. those were some revolutionary times in Society and in the NFL, Joe Namath was sort of the bridge that joined the two, the perfect ambassador in the perfect place at the perfect time.

I well remember that year and those playoffs. my Father and all my Uncles had Row H in Section 19 in the Upper Deck at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, the same row and seats for years, getting bigger slowly. they were all there for the 27-0 victory over the Baltimore Colts in 1964 and I started to go the following year. at first I split a pass with my cousin and in 1965 my Father bought me a pass and I was on my way.

in the Conference game Cleveland beat Dallas 31-20 and I remember being all excited about the Championship game against Baltimore. my Dad and Uncles were all talking about the 1964 game beforehand and then the air came out as the Colts beat the tar out of us, 34-0. it was one of the worst losses I ever attended and it sort of set me up at the ripe old age of 12 to know what it was like to be a Browns fan --- get used to heart-break!! :p

So have we nailed it down to the , and not in this order...........

1- Falcons
    2- Ravens (they qualify because they began in 1996).
    3- Eagles
    4- Jets ?

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardinals have to be up there. If Jim Hart is your best QB, this stat line is not very impressive ...

TD–INT: 209–247
    Yards: 34,665
    Passer rating: 66.6

Even with Kurt Warner only having a few years with them, I'd probably put him above Hart. Maybe even Carson Palmer too.