Home Sports Talk

Are we witnessing the beginning of Lebron James decline?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

not a big basketball fan, but by observing, i have noticed that LBJs numbers are declining this year so far through 8 games. less minutes, lower FG %, less Assists, PPG and also fewer fouls per game by half. this tells me either one of two things: LBJ is not driving to the hoop as often and picking up fewer charges, or he is resting on defense.

Lebron is in his age 36 season. is this the beginning of the end?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah, let's analyze his career numbers based on a new sample of eight games. Geez, get a grip.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan is the GOAT. I've never even heard of this Lebron James guy.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    yeah, let's analyze his career numbers based on a new sample of eight games. Geez, get a grip.

take a breath. i mentioned it is only through 8 games in my post. this is still the sports talk forum isnt it? where, you know, one can still talk sports, right?

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 12:17PM

His decline in minutes and stats is probably due to having just a two month offseason; Game 6 of the Finals was on 10-11,Opening night 12-22. At his age there’s really no reason for him to log normal minutes this early in the season especially with a condensed schedule. Also with no fans, home court really won’t be as important than in previous years.

another thing to remember is that Lebron's chronological age doesn't match up with his actual NBA age. since he's been in the Play Offs so much it equates to something like 2-3 extra seasons played. I figure erik is correct, this early with the short off-season will probably see him start slow.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 1:22PM

Assuming the Lakers easily qualify for the playoffs one must wait until the playoffs to see if LBJ's level of play at 36 drops off.

Absent a major injury I suspect there will be no drop off.

If my memory is correct the 2020-21 season is LBJ's 18th. Add in all the post season games he has played means he has played an extra 2 or 3 regular seasons.

That is a lot of mileage on his body. It is a amazing how durable he has been and is.

I suspect he would say that his first year on the Lakers (a team that did not make the playoffs) was a blessing for him as it gave him a break after being the Finals for 9 or 10 years in a row.

This early in the season, it is premature to answer the OP's question.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

the role of steveK will be played by keets in this thread :D

:p

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a LeBron fan by any means because basketball is dead to me but he declined into an NBA championship last year.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 8:03PM

I've never seen him play basketball so I wouldn't know about that part. However, in other areas off his life that I've read about, .......yes.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

not bad for a 36-yr-old

However, in other areas off his life that I've read about

never been involved in scandal, never used drugs and he's a philanthropist in ways you won't hear about, involved in his Community. but yeah, you should probably paint him in a bad way. just another low post from a name used by dogs around the Country.

post on and have a nice day. B)

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant if a dog decides to urinate on you, i will be there to clean you off

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

hydrant has been dead to me since the avatar change :(

edited January 7, 2021 9:50AM

@galaxy27 said:
    @Hydrant if a dog decides to urinate on you, i will be there to clean you off

I think one just did. Where the hell are you when I need you?!

edited January 7, 2021 11:14AM

Dog using Hydrant......tap

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets has been awfully grumpy lately.

turn that frown upside down!!!!!

No offense taken.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFAIK, and IMO, last year proved that Lebron is still in top form. But with the limited off season it is pre-planned that he will be somewhat taking it easy and missing some games so as to ensure he is ready to go for the payoffs. I am not a huge fan of his, and as someone who considers Larry to be the GOAT I don't fully enjoy his style of play. Not saying I don't appreciate or recognize his basketball accomplishments, but don't fully enjoy his style or him. Two things that seems amazing to me......he is one of the very, very,very few young "chosen ones" who actually lived up to the expectations. And the defeat of GS was amazing. But let's just say I don't like his "politics"and leave it at that.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    not bad for a 36-yr-old

Especially after the shortest off season in the history of sports

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited January 9, 2021 7:27PM

@2dueces said:
    Not a LeBron fan by any means because basketball is dead to me but he declined into an NBA championship last year.

Right off the cliff

25 points a game
    8 rebounds a game
    10 assists a game

Those are team player type stats

He ceded shots to AD won a title and was second in the MVP in the regular season. He won playoff MVP.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

I just watched some game highlights. anyone who thinks he's in decline might want to study some game highlights instead of a stat line. LeKing still has the turn-around-fade-away jump shot that he can hit from anywhere, he can still back anyone down to the rim, he can still fight to the rim and finish and he can still make the shots that every player should miss.

like most every great player in any major sport, LeBrons "diminishing skills" are better than most players peak. if anything has faded it will be his ability at the end of a season to log minutes like he used to do, playing 44 of 48. a wise coach and LeBron himself will watch that and keep his legs fresh.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 3:45PM

I've just deleted a bunch of comments. Let's quit dancing around the political scene. You guys all know better than that. Argue his talents on the court all you like, but please keep the rest off the forum.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
    edited January 11, 2021 6:32PM

AFLfan