Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Gone too soon

rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do a great deal of buying and selling in order to position myself to get something else that I would rather have.

This is an ode to the ones I let go of too early.

1. Prizm basketball rookies. (Had several 10s stacked of the 17 class and a few of Trae and Luka. Pictured is a Taytum rc I was thrilled to get $60 for

2. 1963 Fleer Lance Alworth PSA 7 - this one is not that bad only has slightly over doubled since I sold. Hope to upgrade to an 8 or better eventually

3. 2017 Prizm DeShaun Watson - I could not believe someone was going to pay me $90 for this since silvers were base RCs in fb for 2016 and 2017. Sold others too cheap but kept backups of them

4. 2014 Topps Chrome Update Betts I think I got a little over 200 for it after his Boston MVP year

5. 1971 Topps Joe Greene - I have no idea of what compelled me to sell this. Have not been able to find a suitable replacement

6. 2011 Bowman Chrome Draft Mike Trout. It was a self sub he had just gotten injured.. think I got like $200. Just dumb

7. 1966 Philadelphia Dick Butkus. Another head scratcher. Sure I would like an 8 but I also would like a new house. Think maybe got $400-500 for it
  8. 2001 Topps Drew Brees. Self sub. Decided at the time all I needed was the Chrome rc. Compound the stupidity in that he is my favorite player on the one team I have loved my entire life. Plus I sold for $100 (which I thought was great at the time for a plain Jane Topps RC)
  9. 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan. I do not really collect basketball. I did have all the Fleer Jordan’s at one point. Figured why not sell it and get a few other things that fit my collection better. Think I moved it for 1500. Oops
  10. 2017 Prizm Mahomes - Full disclosure I hate this guy. I self subbed after buying raw for under $1 I would have kept but I was using the cash to finance another purchase of a card I was buying back got $350 cash. A month or so later it was $800. Now I don’t even check
Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• azvikeazvike Posts: 352 ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 1:36PM

this hits home...among the big ones I let go:

2000 SP Brady PSA 10 (bought for $300....sold for $3000 (thought I killed it)
    1966 Topps Namath PSA 8 cant remember what I paid....sold for $6600...ugg)
    1935 Chicle Nagurski PSA 4 cant remember what I paid....sold for $4500

Still have my 1958 Topps Jim Brown PSA 8 that I paid $1200 for, so I got that going for me.....which is nice....LOL

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

It happens. I bought a 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson when i was in high school. Paid $125. Eventually had it graded and it came back PSA 5. I kept it for years and it very slowly increased in value. I sold it a few years ago for $2000 as I decided it really didn't fit into my collection. I'm afraid to see what that card sells for now.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

My guess would be that Steve has several things safely tucked away in his PC...

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

What makes it worse is that I have to buy the Mahomes back if I ever want to complete my Super Bowl MVP set.

I hear you Rexvos....I was #1 on that one for a while until I sold all mine...great set!...Would be impossible for me to buy back what I used to have...

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

You just picked my scab!! I had a 63 Rose PSA 8.5 and sold through auction house for $4500

PackManInNC
  • blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

everybody could do this. however, nobody ever discloses is just how happy they were at the time when a record sale was made AND THEN what they rolled that money into. where'd that money go? how'd it do? what's it worth now?

had you said you sold the above and rolled it all in to rg3 rookies, then we can have a pitty parties, but i know you're much smarter than that. 😉

i guess, looking back we could all kick our own arses for buying 86 topps vs 86 fleer. it's all how you choose to look at the scenario. personally, i never look back.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 3:26PM

@AFLfan said:
    It happens. I bought a 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson when i was in high school. Paid $125. Eventually had it graded and it came back PSA 5. I kept it for years and it very slowly increased in value. I sold it a few years ago for $2000 as I decided it really didn't fit into my collection. I'm afraid to see what that card sells for now.

-

That's ironic.
    A couple years ago I turned down at a local card show (to buy) a $2000 cash deal for a SGC 5.
    I've been chasing that "perfect" Robinson card too long :(

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

Personally, I'm waiting for the "Held Too Long" thread before I can contribute . . . ;)

@blurryface said:
    everybody could do this. however, nobody ever discloses is just how happy they were at the time when a record sale was made AND THEN what they rolled that money into. where'd that money go? how'd it do? what's it worth now?

had you said you sold the above and rolled it all in to rg3 rookies, then we can have a pitty parties, but i know you're much smarter than that. 😉

i guess, looking back we could all kick our own arses for buying 86 topps vs 86 fleer. it's all how you choose to look at the scenario. personally, i never look back.

I sell only to fund other purchases/ grading expenses. I am not padding my bank account with any of it. I bought stuff that at the time I rather have, in retrospect I came out ahead on some of it but could have found much better ways to acquire the funds.

@azvike said:
    I hear you Rexvos....I was #1 on that one for a while until I sold all mine...great set!...Would be impossible for me to buy back what I used to have...

I know the feeling. I am afraid it is going the way of many awards now as the winning Quarterback award though. I am complete up to Edelman. I hate the choice of cars on that one.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a local wholesaler who was a card distributor at one point in time, Charlotte area folks likely know of them as it is Fleming's candy company. They had a box of 1987 Fleer bkb in one of the showcases for who knows how long at $1k. This was 8 years or so ago and I went to buy it, then sent it off to BBCE for authentication along with some 84 Donruss from the same place. I sold some of the Donruss but kept a box for myself and consigned the 87 Fleer bkb with our own Tom Salem. He sold it for a then record of just over 2k and I thought I was the man for setting the then record for 87 Fleer bkb unopened and making an easy $1k in the process. I am glad I kept the 84 Donruss but it would have been nice to keep that 87 Fleer bkb with sales approaching 20k now. I can't fret too much as I have held on to my 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 9 for just as long despite numerous offers. ;)