Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Couldnt pass up a rainbow on a Daalder

ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the greatest looking coin but a rainbow on a Daalder seemed like a must have as a toner lover. Looks authentic. I find the planchet cracks interesting despite im sure affecting its desirability to most collectors. They look like strike stress cracks not PMD but maybe someone will know otherwise. Either way I love the Daalder and had to have the rainbow.

Comments

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can dig it!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, congrats

• Options
    edited January 7, 2021 12:03AM

The Daalders in general has become one of my favorite coins of the many amazing crown sized coins I have come across. I dont know how others feel about it but it has such an interesting mix of history. The dutch circulated them in the colonies linking them to colonial America not only directly by trading here but by being the ancestry of the Dollar name.
    At the same time they transport you to medieval times as a hammered coin depicting a knight. I find that to be an amazing and possibly unique or at least scarce claim any coin can make along with the Thalers. Im sure someone will mention other coins with similar linkage that I dont know about but those 2 being crown sized have their strong link. The Daalder however seems to grasp its medieval roots with the planchets being so crude and the coins being hammered versus the Thalers which come which such better planchets and intricate designs and rolled strikes.
    There is an upcoming specimen at heritage that is just AMAZING and I am considering making a run at. So far I have been outbid twice so it looks like its going to take a pretty big number to win it. But after a great year in business(i do have some guilt about it) I may splurge for what could be a centerpiece world coin example. Im sure any Daalder collectors here know which coin I'm talking about.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    There is an upcoming specimen at heritage that is just AMAZING and I am considering making a run at. So far I have been outbid twice so it looks like its going to take a pretty big number to win it. But after a great year in business(i do have some guilt about it) I may splurge for what could be a centerpiece world coin example. Im sure any Daalder collectors here know which coin I'm talking about.

I know exactly which coin you're talking about. I was looking through Daalders on SixBid and that one came up and stopped me cold in my tracks. Arguably, this was some sort of presentation piece, since nothing about it is typical for the type. I had a good laugh at Heritage's estimate, too. Someone left off a zero. Good luck if you chase it. I'm only in the market for a more pedestrian, yet somewhat wholesome, specimen (ideally 1597 or 1607).

• Options

@messydesk said:

@ACop said:

I know exactly which coin you're talking about. I was looking through Daalders on SixBid and that one came up and stopped me cold in my tracks. Arguably, this was some sort of presentation piece, since nothing about it is typical for the type. I had a good laugh at Heritage's estimate, too. Someone left off a zero. Good luck if you chase it. I'm only in the market for a more pedestrian, yet somewhat wholesome, specimen (ideally 1597 or 1607).

I'm an idiot and I knew that estimate was a joke

• Options

Actually, I wonder if Heritage or other auction houses ever "sandbag" estimates so that they can say "brought 8x of estimate." The other edge of that sword is that saying that also indicates they didn't have a feel for the market.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think estimate sandbagging happens all the time, especially with coins for which there is no great guide.
    People get excited by the low estimates and follow the auction. But since the “fair” price is not really known once you’re above the “estimate” the sky’s the limit.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a very interesting piece. The estimate is ridiculously low!

• Options

Here's a devil's advocate thought on the estimate sandbanging. Can it have the opposite effect? Bidders see the estimate was 2500 and at 5k they stop caring thinking its way over priced?

• Options

I saw the one you’re talking about and there has to be a interesting story behind it. I have a couple of them and have never seen any near that one. I’m sure it’ll go for a lot!

• Options

But there’s something to be said for having an amazing example of a very popular coin.

• Options

There are a LOT of people tracking that lot. More than any of the handful of "featured" lots I checked.

• Options

$22,800 with the juice.