Home Precious Metals

what is the cheapest way to get gold bullion

jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone cracked the code on how to get the biggest bang for the buck? New gold, old gold, 1/10 oz, 1 oz, bars, coins, different countries, etc..

Asking for a friend

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

very large bars

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2021 11:54AM

@derryb said:
    very large bars

Copy. How about the scenario where my friend has $15k to spend on bullion, what's the best way to go there?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy on down days . It's not cheap, it's prudent. Although the majority of my posts go largely ignored: truth!
    24hour

5year

November of 2015
    November of 2020
    Now.

Cheap is not relevant in this field.
    Your friend may miss the boat.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

earning ebay bonus bucks are always a plus when you can find bullion in a non bullion category. It helps get one closer to spot.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Panning/digging/MD'ing is always the cheapest way to get gold (after investment of time, money for equipment etc.). The easiest way is to buy it... The cheapest way to buy it, was years ago ;) Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

I buy the dips and I buy raw coins such as eagles, buffaloes and maple leafs! I pay $50 over spot for maples and $85 for American! The only coins I buy in plastic is fractional buffaloes! Do not buy from ebay too expensive and there is a lot of Chinese counterfeits out there! PM me if you want t to know where I buy from. Here to help so you don't get ripped off!

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use your free welfare errrr stimulus checks to purchase gold free and clear. 0% net cost and you can sit around the homestead in your underwear adding metals to the stack. B)

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• DontTellTheWifeDontTellTheWife Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 8:03PM

As mentioned, cheapest is not always the best. Now that you and your friend know that, the cheapest may buying at a brick and mortar gold thay are going to wholesale out, but that will likely get you unwanted world gold, problem pieces, things they fell are not retail friendly, cheap yes,but not desireable in the long run

Good luck, and at brick and mortar, of course cash is king

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

you're going to get a million different answers to your question

one item that does not re-sell well: 1 ounce gold bars
    things that re-sell well: gold eagles

things with a low markup: 1 ounce bars
    things with a larger markup: gold eagles.

wait for bronco to extol the virtues of foreign gold. not sure how that fits as I don't have a booth to sell from.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

wait for bronco to extol the virtues of foreign gold. not sure how that fits as I don't have a booth to sell from.

Haha...I was going to mention world gold too. A lot of old foreign gold can be bought for melt. Plus the designs on some of them are like little pieces of art. However, it can be harder to move when it’s time to sell. Sovereigns and Pesos move pretty easy though and sell over melt.
    With that said, I agree with derryB. My money is on MS69 AGEs and Buffalos.
    I steer clear from gold bars, but that’s just me.

• alexercaalexerca Posts: 243 ✭✭✭

Just bought 5 kangaroos yesterday $50 over melt and beautiful to boot! .9999 pure

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still think buying ungraded $5 modern commemorative gold can work in your favor. If you shop around you can buy them at 0 to 2% over spot and sell them at 98% of spot if you need the money for something else or to take a profit while waiting for a pullback.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:
    I still think buying ungraded $5 modern commemorative gold can work in your favor. If you shop around you can buy them at 0 to 2% over spot and sell them at 98% of spot if you need the money for something else or to take a profit while waiting for a pullback.

...and you can do even better using ebay bucks!

• tincuptincup Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

Fully agree... one of the least expensive options. And for a known purity and standard. Time it right with the ebay bucks mentioned and you can sometimes get for less than melt.

----- kj
  • MKUltra24MKUltra24 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    you're going to get a million different answers to your question

one item that does not re-sell well: 1 ounce gold bars
    things that re-sell well: gold eagles

things with a low markup: 1 ounce bars
    things with a larger markup: gold eagles.

I’ve never had trouble selling 1 oz gold bars.

My local dealers are happy to buy my 1oz Perth Mint bars when I sell.