Home U.S. Coin Forum

After a lifetime of searching beaches, an elderly couple's coin finds revealed!

DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article about an elderly couple's beach finds. They walked the beaches of the Outer Banks for 70 years and they found some amazing stuff together. What a nice collection formed for "free."
https://www.southernliving.com/news/outer-banks-rare-coin-collection-graveyard-of-the-atlantic-museum

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing that's wonderful!
    My mom has had a home in the OBX for decades and I've spent a whole lot of time there.
    It's an amazing place to walk, even without a detector.
    Last time I took my metal detector I only found modern coins but I did find a penny that was melted with a bit of fulgurite on it! If you're timing is good before other people it's not uncommon to find beautiful fulgurites, shells, and spot whales and dolphins. It's an amazing place with thousands of shipwrecks in the area and utterly filled with wildlife.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating finds. I’d be thrilled to find a chop marked trade dollar while combing a beach.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's amazing - a life well spent investigating the magic of your surroundings

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

The waves there are awesome. Once broke my surfboard in half. No doubt enough power in that part of the ocean to churn up all kinds of treasure.

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!!

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a picture of some of the coins, some quite modern:

Southern Living Outer Banks Collection story

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some modern, yes. Those have to be lost from bathers in the surf.
    However, there were quite a few that came from Spanish shipwrecks and long before their visits to the New World.
    The oldest coin was from 250 B.C.!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• RedStormRedStorm Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

Interesting stuff and not one but two Colombian commemorative halves!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a great collection of finds...Surprised there were no gold coins found...(at least I do not see any in the picture, nor did the article mention any.). Still, some real treasures there. Cheers, RickO

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've visited OBX on summer vacations my whole life. Great family beach especially at the North end. My brother owns a cottage accessible by 4WD only. Many great memories made surfing the waves. Will go again this summer.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 11, 2021 10:43AM

Awesome finds.

My wife and I walk the beach every week looking for sea glass.

You wanna know a really weird observation that I have made about sea glass collecting vs gold mining as a hobby where you actually find gold. Sea glass collecting is way easier than gold mining (physically) and potentially way more profitable :o

• percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure some of those coins are mine that I lost. I've swam along the shore there years ago. :)

"Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file