Home Sports Talk

DD must have the day off. Baseball's sticky mess

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2021 1:26PM in Sports Talk

No surprise. The money is too big at both the professional and college level. Add cycling and Olympic sports as well.

m

Harkins reportedly identified Cole, Verlander, Edwin Jackson, Max Scherzer, Felix Hernandez, Corey Kluber, Joba Chamberlain and Adam Wainwright among the pitchers who requested his pine tar/resin mixture.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/08/yankees-gerrit-cole-caught-up-in-a-lawsuit-sticky-p

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2021/01/lawsuit-claims-justin-verlander-gerrit-cole-sought-sticky-substance-for-baseball.html

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're right, the money is too big. And more than that.....there are things that have gone on for a long time, like pitchers using something on the ball. It goes back to before the money, but now that there are literally hundreds of millions of dollars for pitchers....

After the trash can/bullpen cam thing it is obvious that MLB feels the need to look the other way on a lot of things...or else the entirety of the league would be in tatters.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been searching relentlessly for a few boxing cards today, but I am watching. I'm always watching.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the lawsuit and how he has any chance of winning it.

He clearly broke an important MLB rule, and was fired because of it.

On top of that he rats out his customers.

Sounds to me like a punk and his scumbag lawyer attempting to extort money using the legal system. The usual strategy of a way too litigious society.

I hope he falls flat on his face.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will be able to get this stuff on Amazon Prime soon I suppose.

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no!! More “Heroes” are going to get their names dragged through the mud 🙄 Double D please update your time card for taking time off this AM. ☝️

@perkdog said:
    Oh no!! More “Heroes” are going to get their names dragged through the mud 🙄 Double D please update your time card for taking time off this AM. ☝️

No kidding. He's where I get 90% of my sports news

m

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about all of Jeter's conquests, so disappointed. >:)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Sounds to me like a punk and his scumbag lawyer attempting to extort money using the legal system. The usual strategy of a way too litigious society.

I think his claim is that the team was aware of his activities - they were - and that approved of them.

@thisistheshow said:
    You're right, the money is too big. And more than that.....there are things that have gone on for a long time, like pitchers using something on the ball. It goes back to before the money, but now that there are literally hundreds of millions of dollars for pitchers....

After the trash can/bullpen cam thing it is obvious that MLB feels the need to look the other way on a lot of things...or else the entirety of the league would be in tatters.

Yeah, this is nothing new. I mean, it was 14+ years ago when Kenny Rogers had stuff on his arm during the playoffs for the Tigers. He went 3-0 in the playoffs that year while pitching 23 shutout innings.

edited January 8, 2021 4:05PM

@Tabe said:

@thisistheshow said:

Yeah, this is nothing new. I mean, it was 14+ years ago when Kenny Rogers had stuff on his arm during the playoffs for the Tigers. He went 3-0 in the playoffs that year while pitching 23 shutout innings.

All while roasting up some damn fine chicken

m

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds to me like a punk and his scumbag lawyer attempting to extort money using the legal system.

here's my take --- he provided something that everyone wanted, that MLB knew about and turned a blind-eye too. when he was "thrown under the bus" he decided to fight back. MLB hurt him in his pocketbook, he's doing the same.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    Sounds to me like a punk and his scumbag lawyer attempting to extort money using the legal system.

here's my take --- he provided something that everyone wanted, that MLB knew about and turned a blind-eye too. when he was "thrown under the bus" he decided to fight back. MLB hurt him in his pocketbook, he's doing the same.

Nothing more fun than killing the golden goose once you've already got your piece.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

my question is, does this if proven, disqualify all players involved from the hall of fame?

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

I think his claim is that the team was aware of his activities - they were - and that approved of them.

Almost sounds like the steroid issue in the aspect that someone close to the team was bringing in a banned substance and it was being distributed to the players upon their request.

I never followed the steroid story all that closely other than the headlines, but i wonder if say a clubhouse employee got fired for bringing in steroids to the players, and then successfully sued the team?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Almost sounds like the steroid issue in the aspect that someone close to the team was bringing in a banned substance and it was being distributed to the players upon their request.

I never followed the steroid story all that closely other than the headlines, but i wonder if say a clubhouse employee got fired for bringing in steroids to the players, and then successfully sued the team?

maybe its not really a lawsuit but a negotiation .

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

From reading through different articles on this, an interesting takeaway is the possibility that hitters knew and approved. Possibly because it wasn't about movement as much as control, and this helps cut down on unintentional and dangerous 'hit by pitch incidents'.

@stevek said:

Since steroid distribution is illegal, the employee in that instance would have no case. Pine tar concoctions aren't illegal, so big difference.

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Since steroid distribution is illegal, the employee in that instance would have no case. Pine tar concoctions aren't illegal, so big difference.

Good point. However i still see no winning case for the plaintiff in a jury trial.

But of course the usual scumbag lawyer tactic of running up the defendant's legal bills, may make the defendant decide to settle rather than have their defendant lawyers constantly sucking them dry.

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

Good point. However i still see no winning case for the plaintiff in a jury trial.

But of course the usual scumbag lawyer tactic of running up the defendant's legal bills, may make the defendant decide to settle rather than have their defendant lawyers constantly sucking them dry.

whats your deal with lawyers? :D

are you worried baseball owners might be reduced to dining the dollar menu at mcdonalds?

You always side with the poor abused millionaire

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

are you worried baseball owners might be reduced to dining the dollar menu at mcdonalds?

I'd don't like seeing lawyers winning frivolous lawsuits which winds up raising the price of beer at the ballpark.

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

I'd don't like seeing lawyers winning frivolous lawsuits which winds up raising the price of beer at the ballpark.

you think its a lawyers fault 7 cents worth of weasel piss costs $13 ?

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@Tabe said:

@stevek said:

you think its a lawyers fault 7 cents worth of weasel piss costs $13 ?

Yes, it might have been only $12.75 otherwise. ;)