Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

PSA turnaround time

Here's my scenario. I submitted a Value Pricing order that got an Arrived status on 10/6/20, at that time I was told it would take 10 weeks to be Entered. So I called Customer Service exactly at 10 weeks, I was told it would take 11 weeks. Today is 13 weeks now & its still in Entered. So I called Customer Service this morning, there is 237 calls ahead of me - I'm hoping for a call back this afternoon. I submitted another order that arrived on 12/17/20, at the time of submission a disclaimer stated it may take up to 15 weeks before this last order is Entered.

I'm retired now, my biggest takeaway from working is to set proper expectations. The customer may not like the answer but at least they can plan to the promise. I empathize with PSA as they are attempting to address this demand-exceeding-capacity situation they are in, after all its a good business problem right? My hope is they figure out how to regain control of reasonable customer expectations.

Comments

• Copyboy1Copyboy1 Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

3 Economy crossover cards:

• Arrived 9/18
    • Entered 10/19
    • Just moved into Grading

55 Value raw cards:

• Arrived 6/23
    • Entered 8/18
    • Still in Research & ID phase
  • RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭

Um, yeah..... I'd stop wasting your time calling. Just figure you will get them back around June... earlier if you are lucky. Even if the order gets to the entered stage, it will be months sitting in Research & ID before they move on to grading where they will sit for more months.

Unless you use standard or express service at $50+ per card, I'd like to think when it comes to bulk submissions, that after you send them in, you just "set it, and forget it"!

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

your economy won't move to assembly for another month and half.

looking at march for your value sub to see daylight.

everyone's in the same boat. enjoy your retirement vs sitting around waiting for a call back.

• empigtvempigtv Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have an economy order that was logged (logged not received) on 8/6 and a CC order that was logged on 9/3, both of which are still in grading. It’s certainly disappointing that economy and CC orders are now presumably running 6 months plus. Waiting so long defeats the purpose of paying for CC membership vouchers v. just using bulk, but it is what it is. I suppose that’s why PSA shutdown economy and cc vouchers going forward.

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2021 10:57PM

Why doesn’t PSA just stop taking orders except for express and higher? Do this for 6 months and get somewhat caught up? They don’t get paid until wn order is finished anyway. In that six months they could train new graders, streamline or whatever to get ready for the onslaught once they start taking orders again. If they keep doing what they are doing it will continue to get worse. They need to come up with a plan.

add a "real" east coast facility.

southern cali is nice and all, but it ain't cheap.

neither is the real estate or the work force.

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Have remote graders. When you submit online, you're directed to send your package (FedEx) to the next available grader. Graders are vetted and trained, possibly in person, and then allowed to work from their homes. If research is necessary, the grader can determine that and get it taken care of virtually. When grading is complete, the grades are emailed to the submitter before slabbing. Submitter can correct any mechanical errors or pay a reduced grading fee (half?) to have a card or cards reviewed. Those cards would be shipped to another grader. If the grade improved, the submitter would not be charged. When grading and review are complete, send order to one of five sealing stations in the country (probably closest or least busy). When slabbing is complete, send to customer. Rinse. Repeat.

• @blurryface said:

In theory this is a great idea. The East Coast would have an excellent pool of graders and other general workforce employees. Plus, now is the time to get cheap commercial real estate. My only guess as to why they haven't done it is that they anticipate this wave of activity is temporary. Once COVID is mostly in the past, maybe they think people will go outside and forget about their card collections.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent my first 15 card submission into PSA in April of 2010. They were received on the 17th and done on the 22 second. I had purchased a sealed pack of the 1982 Wrestling All Stars Series A for $410. I had a declared value of a little over $300 on the form. Today the 15 cards I subbed are in the 15k range and probably higher.

Each year as the value has grown the wait times have gotten longer. Today they are as long as they have ever been but the value of anyone who actively submitted cards collections are drastically higher. It is annoying having to wait. It is frustrating waiting for your cards to log. The bottom line is the hobby has exploded and there is no easy fix and I will trade having my collection increase in value exponentially for having to wait to get fresh cards graded.

This is a good problem to have.

it's like I-95. no matter how many lanes they keep adding, by the time the addition is done they need 2 more lanes. could ya imagine the foreman saying "we need 10 lanes on each side" back in 1969? he'd be laughed off the job. but it's been under construction ever since.

• Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Hmmm. Maybe speed things up by taking all cards manufactured after, say 2010, and just grading them a 10? I mean can you really tell the difference between an 8 and a 10 on newer cards?

@Sidepocket1 said:
    I mean can you really tell the difference between an 8 and a 10 on newer cards?

nope. they are just as easy as 80's opc. gems galore.

• olb31olb31 Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

they actually removed my post about this last year. but i agree totally.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • 19591959 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Great idea to have your cards mailed directly to the grader. If not too far away you could visit him, and point out the advantages of giving your cards an "accurate" grade. Perhaps, go ahead and pay in advance , or give him or her a tip for doing such a great and quick job. Plus, if the grades aren't to your liking, you can give him a visit , rather than waiting on hold on the phone.

• @blurryface said:

Agree another facility might help - depends on where and of course there is ramp up time. SoCal as a whole ain't cheap but their Santa Ana location is ideal for both the cost of real estate and work force.

The key takeaway is they need to immediately increase their ability to increase production capacity for:
    1) short term - reduce their horrendous backlog
    2) long term - effectively manage reasonable turnaround times for all service levels

Not sure what their recent hiring practice was - if they are concerned this is a temporary blip caused by the pandemic, they could hire contract workers then review their need to renew/hire as their term is about to expire.

@HiHoSilver55 said:

@blurryface said:

Agree another facility might help - depends on where and of course there is ramp up time. SoCal as a whole ain't cheap but their Santa Ana location is ideal for both the cost of real estate and work force.

The key takeaway is they need to immediately increase their ability to increase production capacity for:
    1) short term - reduce their horrendous backlog
    2) long term - effectively manage reasonable turnaround times for all service levels

Not sure what their recent hiring practice was - if they are concerned this is a temporary blip caused by the pandemic, they could hire contract workers then review their need to renew/hire as their term is about to expire.

fully agree about the strategy of the temporary workforce. from the few folks i know that actually work for psa, they were even caught off guard with the influx. they were smart when they moved into the new place w/ renovation needs so they could adhere and handle growth. i don't think anyone could have predicted that type of influx that occurred this year though. even then they raised prices and got even more cards. crazy.

also agree about santa ana and being ideal for cali. problem is, it's still cali. 😉.

there's a reason a ton of car & heavy construction manufacturers, subsequent subsidiaries and their suppliers have and are currently setting up shop in the outskirts of mid-sized towns in the southeast united states. cheap land and reasonable access to relatively cheaper, qualified blue collar workforce. bmw birmingham, volvo sc, etc. these states are also throwing very nice tax incentives as a cherry.