Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Information needed on medals by German engraver Oertel Berlin

Greetings,

I recently purchase the medal below. It bears the signature of the engraver, Oertel Berlin, I believe. Looks like a 1st Place medal from a 1902 Dog Show somewhere. My limited "Google-Fu" skills have left me wanting more information. I could not locate an image or website that had identical medals, and only saw a handful (or less) of similar.

Here is what I can tell you about it that cannot be determined from the photos.

It's 51mm in diameter, it weighs 57.3g. Everything else is visible in the photos.

Thanks in advance for any information you might have on this medal or it's creator.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Comments

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2021 11:37AM

https://thue.museum-digital.de/index.php?t=people&id=18267
    Maybe this will help (sorry about the quick translation) from http://www.numismatische-gesellschaft-berlin.de/files/Knstlerbiografien.pdf

Mint in Berlin, founded around 1887 by Otto Oertel, was created by splitting off from the
    Berlin medalist G. Loos, around 1900. It was one of the most efficient private mints in the capital, known for its high quality. The last known owner was the medalist Arthur Tauer in 1938, he had already worked for the company from 1908-1912 with die cutting work. From 1889 to 1897
    Ernst Deitenbeck was employed by Oertel as an engraver and medalist. Models supplied, among others, Peter Breuer, Georges Morin and Constantin Starck. Most of the Oertel coins bear the
    Names: "OERTEL", "OERTEL BERLIN", "OERTEL BERLIN FEC.", Later also "OERTEL BERLIN TAUER DIR".

Here is a classified ad from page 152 of Deutsche Kolonialzeitung, Volume 13, 1896, which shows the firm's address:

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carabonnair said:
    Here is a classified ad from page 152 of Deutsche Kolonialzeitung, Volume 13, 1896, which shows the firm's address:

Awesome, thanks much for the additional information!

Now to try to attribute this particular medal, and understand what "HECTOR" is a reference to.

Z

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

@ZoidMeister said:

Awesome, thanks much for the additional information!

Now to try to attribute this particular medal, and understand what "HECTOR" is a reference to.

Z

"Hector" or also "Hektor" was the name of an association for the breeding and show of pedigree dogs in Berlin. Founded in 1876.

http://www.wallenfels-pinscher.de/vereinehistorisch.html

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^ Cool website ^^