Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

DELETE

PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 22, 2022 5:19PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

Sports: NHL & NFL

Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

Comments

• PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 5:19PM

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frank Rose's 'Chopmarks' was the first English-language text issued on the subject of chop marks, and remains a must-read for anyone interested in the niche (along with 'Chopmarked Coins - A History' by Colin Gullberg, a more than worthy successor).

@OriginalDan has an amazing chopmarked collection and will probably add some more info on the references

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki summed it up nicely, those are the 2 books worth reading. Other than that, there's a huge amount of information in the Chopmark Collectors Club newsletters. Reach out to Colin Gullberg (chopmarknews at gmail dot com) to join. Subscription to the newsletter is free if you submit a picture of a single chopped coin, or $10 a year if you don't want to share a picture or contribute an article. Once you join, you'll get access to all of the back issues.

Other than that, what do you want to know @KingOfMorganDollar ? I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

And I can't finish this post without showing this coin, due to your forum name ;)

edited January 7, 2021 9:40PM

I do not have any specific or general questions as of yet just want to start to read and gain some knowledge. Is Chopmarked Coins A History' by Colin Gullberg a hard book to locate?

Very nice coin!! I should change my username but can't seem to I have really turned to Mexican 1/2 Reales and 8 Reales as a full time passion and also gold from Mexico and Spain.

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 9, 2021 11:30PM

Just be aware that many of these out there for sale are not going to be slabbed because they would get the dreaded "details" designation if they were (at least 8 reales do, not positive about US coins like trade dollars). That makes authenticating the host very important. I do not consider the presence of a chop to be a significant indication of authenticity of the host, although some collectors do.

I do not believe I will collect them just want to know more about them. Maybe buy a few here and there.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the availability of the two books - Rose has appeared a couple of times on eBay in the past month (usually $60-80). Gullberg is harder to find but well worth looking for, especially the quality of the images; it appears infrequently enough that sellers have asked for over $100 in some cases, despite it being a 2014 publication.

@KingOfMorganDollar said:
    I do not have any specific or general questions as of yet just want to start to read and gain some knowledge. Is Chopmarked Coins A History' by Colin Gullberg a hard book to locate?

Yeah, unfortunately the Gullberg books were all purchased and there hasn't been a re-print. If you reach out to Colin, you could add your name to the growing list of people who would love to see a re-print. He's also mentioned doing a second edition, which I'd love to see. The Rose book was groundbreaking at the time and was THE only reference for a long time, but I feel the Gullberg book is superior with much better photography and updated thinking on chopmarks.

I do not believe I will collect them just want to know more about them. Maybe buy a few here and there.

>

That's what we all say, at first. ;)

• sylsyl Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Keep checking "Abebooks" periodically. It is a loose confederation of scores of used book stores throughout the country.

Superb looking coins congrats!!

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spanish edition is available on Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1980352399/

@pruebas said:

I wish I understood Spanish. Is there English at all?

@pruebas said:

I wish I understood Spanish. Is there English at all?

There is English, but all the copies have been sold. You'll need to find one for re-sale or convince Colin to do another printing.

Thanks.