Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opinion for Gretzky Memorabilia Frame

Hi All,

I’m currently completing a few jersey frames which include signed pictures and a signed puck in the middle. See attached Hasek frame for an example. I have the Gretzky jersey and pictures but no puck. I haven’t bought it yet because I’m considering replacing it with Gretzky’s rookie card. Not sure if it would be Topps or O-Pee-Chee but it would be graded in the 3-5 range.

My question is, which one do you think would look better? Here are some points I’m considering:

1. Uniformity. 3 frames will have the puck while one could have a card instead. Not sure if this would make it look weird?

2. Price. Card would cost much more than the puck, but I could invest in it since I’ve always wanted his rookie.

3. Display of the card. Does anybody think putting the card in the frame change it’s value? I don’t want to sell it but if I pass on and somebody won’t have use for it I’d imagine it will be sold. I’m not sure if the value will be affected because the card is inside the frame (along with the jersey and two pictures) so they may not buy?

4. Feeling. From my perspective I think I would love looking at the rookie card more than the puck. That’s my feeling. Curious what others here have to say.

5. Teams. Jersey is Edmonton, one pic is Edmonton and the other is a rangers. Having a kings puck would encompass his career (no I don’t care about that stint in St. Louis), whereas the card would prevent me from getting a kings piece in there.

At the end of the day, either would look great. I don’t have anybody in my circle that would have enough passion to provide an honest opinion, so I’d like to hear from anybody that would like to share an opinion! Thanks for listening!

Tagged:

Comments

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Go for the RC. You want it. It can be removed later for sale if need be. Just don’t remove the cars from the slab (obviously).

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2021 12:50PM

I do card shows and sell items that I've had framed, the only thing I will say is you don't need more than one autographed item in a framed piece of same player.
    But to each his own.

• I haven’t really noticed anybody else putting multiple autographs in one frame, but personally I like it better. Makes me feel like each piece there has value, even if it’s just for me.

Any thoughts on puck versus card?

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Puck I'd go with.
    Keep in mind with multiple autographs of the same person on the framed items you will not get full retail that you should have otherwise.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

To me, a graded card is the collectible by itself and generally don’t like including in a larger piece. Better for a piece of memorabilia that is better suited for display. That’s just me.

• bruin805bruin805 Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I'd be wary of having a Gretzky RC on the wall exposed to the light for an extended period of time.