Home Sports Talk

Best NFL playoff games of all time

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL playoffs are starting, so to get in the spirit, what are some of the best NFL playoff games of all time?

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patriots vs Atlanta Super Bowl. Greatest Comeback ever 💪

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 5:27AM

January 3rd, 1993 --- Buffalo Bills 41 - Houston Oilers 38. without a doubt the best ever, so good it has its own nickname, The Comeback!! what I remember about this one is that the Oilers got so far ahead that I decided I'd go out and split some wood, so I cracked a window and turned up the volume on the TV. soon, I was listening and watching, then found myself leaning against the house and watching from outside. when it got stupid I quit and went inside the house to watch the end of a game I'll never forget.

January, 11th, 1987 --- Cleveland Browns 23 - New York Jets 20 in double overtime. the Browns came back from being down 20-10 with about four minutes left in the game, tied it with under a minute left and won in the 2nd overtime. I think Bernie Kosar was in his 2nd year and set a Playoff passing record that still stands.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Falcons still haven't recovered from that Patriots Super Bowl comeback.

edited January 6, 2021 6:07AM

I remember that Bills vs Oilers game very well, I turned it off when the Oilers went up 35-3. I started watching movies, and by the time I got back to the game, it was 38-35 Bills lead. I had missed the whole comeback. I thought it was over when the Oilers had been up 35-3.

edited January 7, 2021 3:09AM

These comeback games are insane, they just happen, and you really don't expect it. I thought the Falcons vs Patriots Super Bowl was over at 28-3, and then bam, all hell just broke lose.

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

AFC Divisional Playoff, January 2, 1982, Chargers vs. Dolphins in Miami, OT thriller.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
    edited January 6, 2021 6:44AM

NFC Wild Card 2010
    (OT)
    Arizona Cardinals - 51
    Green Bay Packers - 45

This was a wild shoot out. Both teams combined for more than 1,000 total yards, and Aaron Rodgers and Kurt Warner had 9 TD passes between them. The game ended in overtime when Karlos Dansby returned an Aaron Rodgers fumble 17 yards for a touchdown. I remember there was an uproar because of a face mask non-call on that Rogers fumble.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    AFC Divisional Playoff, January 2, 1982, Chargers vs. Dolphins in Miami, OT thriller.

This is 1A for me. The 1981 NFC championship game had some wild 4th quarter drama before “the catch” that led SF to a 28-27 win over the Cowboys, ending the Cowboys NFC domination for years.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

2017 Divisional game (aka the Minneapolis Miracle)
    Vikings 29
    Saints 24

@doubledragon said:
    I remember that Bills vs Oilers game very well, I turned it off when the Oilers went up 35-3. I started watching movies, and by the time I got back to the game, it was 38-35 Bills lead. I had missed the whole comeback. I thought it was over when the Oilers had been up 35-3.

Oilers fans legit booked rooms and bought plane tickets during that game 😳

@VikingDude said:
    2017 Divisional game (aka the Minneapolis Miracle)
    Vikings 29
    Saints 24

I was watching that unfold and remember immediately saying that the D Back should have been cut and never allowed to play football again after that play lol. It was honestly pathetic? If I was his teammate I would have been pissed

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Atl vs NE superbowl comeback is of course my favorite and it happened on the biggest stage, but I remember watching the 1999 superbowl with the greatest show on turf. the last play of the game i think it was Kevin Dyson caught the pass and was one on one with the defender. He was tackled at the 1 yard line and the titans lost the game. at the time i remember thinking that one play will probably forever haunt dysons dreams. one more yard.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

@craig44 said:
    the Atl vs NE superbowl comeback is of course my favorite and it happened on the biggest stage, but I remember watching the 1999 superbowl with the greatest show on turf. the last play of the game i think it was Kevin Dyson caught the pass and was one on one with the defender. He was tackled at the 1 yard line and the titans lost the game. at the time i remember thinking that one play will probably forever haunt dysons dreams. one more yard.

Great game!

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impossible to beat the Eagles victories in their playoff games in their march to winning the Super Bowl a few seasons back for best NFL playoff games of all time.

Good luck with all the second best suggestions.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 9:23AM

Since Denver is my favorite team I like these games:

Denver beats Oakland in the AFC title game to go on to play in the 1978 superbowl. Always enjoy Denver beating the Raiders.

Denver beats the Browns twice in the 1980s in games referred to as The Drive and a year later The Fumble (condolences to Keets).

Denver beats Green Bay in the 1998 superbowl to win its first title. Elway running, going airborne and helicootering to get a first down to seal the win is classic.

Denver beating Carolina in the Superbowl a few years ago with a punishing defense was also great.

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

Oilers fans legit booked rooms and bought plane tickets during that game 😳

And I forgot, Jim Kelly wasn't even playing that day, Frank Reich led the comeback.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most heartbreaking for me was the Atl/NE superbowl, this whole town will never forget that crapout.

@craig44 said:

I still remember how Tennessee won that wild card game that year against Buffalo. The Music City Miracle. I remember watching that game, and thinking Frank Wycheck's lateral to Kevin Dyson was a forward pass at first and Buffalo would win.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2021 10:26AM

So many to choose from but I’ll go with the 2019 AFCCG NE 37-KC 31. Fourty-four combined points in the 4th/OT alone with six lead changes.

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Denver beats the Browns twice in the 1980s in games referred to as The Drive and a year later The Fumble (condolences to Keets).

thank you, Kevin. in "The Fumble" game it was really a gut-wrenching, climactic ending that I imagine Denver Bronco fans could hardly believe, either. I was actually still in the air with my arms raised and yelling "Touchdown" when I realized Ernest Byner had fumbled as he crossed the goal-line.

that two year period against the Broncos is my definition of snake-bit. :s in all honesty, I don't really think the franchise's fan base has been the same since. I know they really suffered for it and had a certain kinship with neighboring Buffalo fans when they made it to the SB four times and failed. between the two of us, and a little South, remains Pittsburgh who always seems to get it done.

it's a hard road. it will be easy to root for the Bills through the Play Offs for some vicarious pleasure.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    So many to choose from but I’ll go with the 2019 AFCCG NE 37-KC 31. Fourty-four combined points in the 4th/OT alone with six lead changes.

This was a great game.

2015 NFC Divisional round

Green Bay - 26
    Dallas - 21

🤔

@doubledragon said:
    2015 NFC Divisional round

Green Bay - 26
    Dallas - 21

🤔

Great game!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@craig44 said:

I still remember how Tennessee won that wild card game that year against Buffalo. The Music City Miracle. I remember watching that game, and thinking Frank Wycheck's lateral to Kevin Dyson was a forward pass at first and Buffalo would win.

I watched that game on the little TV in a local card shop. it was awesome!!! wish i still had some card shops around to watch games in...

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

2007 NFC Wild Card

Seattle - 21
    Dallas - 20

I remember watching this and feeling bad for Tony Romo. He fumbled the field goal hold that would have given Dallas the lead. I initially thought he might run it into the endzone, but it was not to be.

• VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

1987 NFC Divisional round
    Vikings 36
    49ers 24

Anthony Carter with 10 receptions for (then record) 227 yards

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets.

As for The Drive, I was amazed by that game simply because Denver and Elway came through to win the game during crunch time (not typical for Denver at the time).

As for The Fumble, I was amazed that Cleveland and Byner would make a turnover just shy of the goal line to hand Denver a victory it never should have received.

Of course I have no interest in talking about how Denver performed in the each Super Bowl that followed these two games with the Browns.

• AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

For a non SB Playoff game, I always thought the 1974 Division Playoff game Raiders 28 - Dolphins 26 - the Sea of Hands” game was the greatest playoff game I ever saw. It just seemed to be played with an intensity greater than even the Super Bowl.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Christmas day, 1971. I was at my Grandma's house and my brothers and I took in this game.
    I was 7 years old and this was a bitter disappointment.
    My Dad subscribed to SI so I remember this issue very well calling it the longest game.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    January 3rd, 1993 --- Buffalo Bills 41 - Houston Oilers 38. without a doubt the best ever, so good it has its own nickname, The Comeback!! what I remember about this one is that the Oilers got so far ahead that I decided I'd go out and split some wood, so I cracked a window and turned up the volume on the TV. soon, I was listening and watching, then found myself leaning against the house and watching from outside. when it got stupid I quit and went inside the house to watch the end of a game I'll never forget.

See, I have a different perspective on games like that. Yeah, the comeback was amazing but most of the game was trash. 35-3? That's not a good game. To me, a good game is pretty close the whole time with lots of back and forth and drama, not 20 minutes of excitement.